The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying an Epson 3800 USA?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
As always seems to be the case ...when I need a new printer its right before new releases maybe coming. I print small compared to most on the forum. I still like cropped prints on 8 1/2 x 11 matte paper..because I can easily carry them and they can be handled . Some subjects obviously need more scale but I think 12x18 on 13x19 paper is about my limit . So the 3800 seems like the ideal size.

They were readily available as "refurbished models " a few months ago at less than $800....at that price I can be happy just using it for proofing. I found one at B&H for $800 with free shipping. Does this make sense or should I wait.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

dseelig

Hi Roger
If it is prints one sizelarger then you would normally go sounds like a good match. If there are any shows in the next week or so I would wait but generally if memory serves me well. Epson normally announces in the fall and late winter. So if you need it now get it. For it's price there is really nothing in its range. This coming form someone who loves his hp z3100. But the large ink sizes unless you went canon 5100 there is nothing close, and the epson seems to have a very loyal following. David

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

Thanks ..that is my perspective as well ..but it doesn t hurt to ask around. I have had a epson 4000 at my atlanta home now for maybe 4 years ..its shot and the lost ink to keep it going isn t worth it. My daughter prints large likes the 17x 22 size but my requirements are smaller. Wish the 3880 was out but who knows when and even then would it make any difference?

Ok its the 3800 from BH .

Eoin

I was in much the same boat a month ago. I decided to go with the Epson 3800 due to the great reports I'd read. Output is good, ink changeover is not so wasteful, paper handling is a bit of a PIA but otherwise simple enough with the driver.
Can't say I'm blown away by the colour results, but I do now see the deficiencies from my old workhorse (Canon i9950). Still learning though, bound to improve with time.

Monochrome (B&W) is a whole different world, I've never been able to get results I liked until now. I just love the output on Hahnemuhle Baryta. Yum, yum!.