The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Wow, that one is stunning. Great composition!:)
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your complement. I really appreciate it.

This was the first time I visited the Olympic National Park. I didn't even have a chance to scratch the surface. It's one of the most amazing National Parks with a wide variety of natures.

My girl will go to college at the University of Washington so this would absolutely not be the last time.

Best
Pramote

dave.gt

Autumn rainforest image from Vancouver Island. Sadly these trees have now been cut down.

Steven
Cut down? Land development or something?

It is a shame whatever the reason and that is why I gave up as a city and regional planner for decades. But you did well capturing a beautiful image of a place that is no longer the same. Very well done!!!:)

stevenfr

Cut down? Land development or something?

It is a shame whatever the reason and that is why I gave up as a city and regional planner for decades. But you did well capturing a beautiful image of a place that is no longer the same. Very well done!!!:)
Thanks Dave. The trees were cleared out for road development. I was very disappointed to see this part of the forest disappear. On a twenty minute drive from Duncan to Lake Cowichan I counted 22 logging trucks. Some of the trucks included double loads. I have been shooting these forest for eight years. Each year there is less forest to photograph. Often I can hear the saws going as I hike through the forest looking for compositions.

Last edited:

tsjanik

I've been in Buffalo NY for the past couple days shooting urban decay as well as historical locations. This was shot inside the Colonel Ward Pumping Station. The huge pumps are what used to provide water to Buffalo.

I've been shooting the entire trip with a Fujifilm GFX 50s and 4-lenses; GF23, GF32-64, 64 and a 120.
Don:

I'm just SW of Buffalo. What other areas did you visit? If you haven't already, take in the Richardson complex and the Central Terminal if you have a chance. Were you impacted by the tornadoes that passed through?

Tom

Mitch

Literally my first files (several, stitched) with GFX. I'll have to get used to the extraordinary detail and expanded dynamic range.

I found that diffraction was not as much of a problem as I anticipated, and it was OK to use f22.

Any processing suggestions (or others) welcome as I get used to the larger sensor.

Kirk

View attachment 128322

GFX, 63mm, X6.
Kirk--

Good to see you on this forum. Very much appreciated and looked forward to your posts with the M Monochrom.

Mitch Rouse

Thank you, Mitch, for a nice compliment.

The Monochrom images ended up in this book:
SHADOWSCAPES - Kirk Thompson Photography

And after that I worked on another one, almost finished, with Sony and Noctilux, for a pictorial effect.

As far as I can tell, this is the best place to get some feedback on work with larger sensor (just barely MF?). My idea/project is to pursue BW nature-subjects with intense texture and detail.

Kirk

BTW, here's a color version (with a gentle or pastel palette). The dynamic range surprised me – from spots of strong sunlight all the way to interior shadows:

:View attachment 128326

Last edited:

ejpeiker

The Watchman, Zion National Park, Utah
XF-IQ3100, SK 40-80BR @ 65mm, ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/15s

A total icon shot that's been done a million times but I still had to take it since I hadn't before... :)

UT_Zion_Watchman07.jpg

stevenfr

Whoa, the sky is afire! Somehow I would not have thought of a long exposure at sunrise... Amazing what you guys teach me. Thanks!:)
This was a film capture, Hoseman 617, velvia 50 film using a five stop graduated neutral density filter. The colours are matched to the film, a bit of selective dodging.

dave.gt

This was a film capture, Hoseman 617, velvia 50 film using a five stop graduated neutral density filter. The colours are matched to the film, a bit of selective dodging.
Wonderful work, Steven, thanks for the details! Wow, an ND filter with Velvia... I have much to learn... and it is exhilarating!:cool:

drevil

Staff member
I have been to the North East of China for the second time, more specifically the city of Harbin.
I was there before, in the early days of 2015, to see the annual snow and ice festival.
In winter the temperatures can go well below -20 degrees Celsius and i have quickly learned that i was under dressed most of the time.

But i wanted to go another time to Harbin, but in summer to see the other side. here are some stark contrasts of the city.

living quarters in the old part of the city:

new opera house of the city:

As usual, my contax 645 + iq180 combo

Status
Not open for further replies.