The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcdeveau

I also have such a wife :-(
But I continue to shoot MF with my Hasselblad :)
John
My wife thankfully appreciates my MF pics and encourages printing. She did recently tell me though that having 3 cameras is too many. I disagreed and said I needed all 3, but we compromised, and now I have 1 camera haha. Seriously though I'm thankful for my spouse and for one that encourages my photographic endeavors...especially MF endeavours :) (and to be fair I decided in the end to sell of the other cameras to pay off bills and our spring Iceland trip, which weren't paying for themselves)
-Todd

dave.gt

Pramote

Just my two cents on the differences between 50 mp and 100 mp and print size.

You can defintely push a 50 mp file to a paper print at 43" x 57" print, but the print lacks the smoothness and detail that is available when shooting with the 100mp. I like my clients to be able to get up close to my prints and look at the details that are in the 100mp file. I don't like my prints to look digital, preferring a more smoother look almost like film. Obviously, the image content plays a big factor in how large the print can be. A detailed image of trees, which is what I typically sell benefits emmensely from the higher megapixels. Of course a canvas print is easy for a 50mp file at 43" x 57".

This image was just printed at 43" x 57" from the Phase One IQ3 100 camera, and is hanging in the gallery that represents my work in Vancouver. My wife is standing beside it to give scale.

Steven
Steven, very nice! :):):)

I have been meaning to ask, after having browsed your excellent website, how did you come up with 43"x57" for a print size? I like the larger size. The 4:3/3:4 image aspect ratio of my camera naturally works out to 30"x40". If I am going to use Bay Photo for metal prints, is your larger size a problem for printing?

stevenfr

Steven, very nice! :):):)

I have been meaning to ask, after having browsed your excellent website, how did you come up with 43"x57" for a print size? I like the larger size. The 4:3/3:4 image aspect ratio of my camera naturally works out to 30"x40". If I am going to use Bay Photo for metal prints, is your larger size a problem for printing?
Hi Dave

Thank you for your kind thoughts on my website. I picked the 43" x 57" because it is the largest print that could be printed on a ipf8400 44" roll of paper from a full frame Phase One XF IQ3 100 image. The other sizes that I sell are 30" x 40" and 35" x 46".

Steven

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted. I picked up a 30-90 S zoom and like it. Even with the low ISO S(006), it's a fine daylight walk around. Anyway, look for the second kid. I didn't see him until half way through post-processing.

--Matt

D

Deleted member 7792

I occasionally printed the 44" size but don't have the 44" printer of my own. It's nothing better than looking at the big print. It's not the price, it's the size! My wife doesn't count it as a piece of furniture :)
Pramote, my wife refers to my teeny 24" printer as "the tanning bed". There's no way I can justify a 44" beast (to her) ;).

Joe

tcdeveau

Went out with dave.gt last weekend to play around with some filters and long exposures, here's one of our shots cropped to a pano format. X1D/30mm XCD/little stopper.

8-12-17_0156_HDR-Edit.jpg

PSon

This image was just printed at 43" x 57" from the Phase One IQ3 100 camera, and is hanging in the gallery that represents my work in Vancouver. My wife is standing beside it to give scale.
Steven
This photo is perhaps one of my most favorite pieces of art you've done and among many other great landscape photos I have seen in term of great colors, different from the current trend of shooting water and a reminder of The Great Wave off Kanagawa.

dave.gt

Last Saturday, Todd (tcdeveau), was kind enough to accompany us to the location of our first in a series of photo shoots. Todd, can't thank you enough for the time, effort and advice while we shared some relaxing camera time!

As this image is being donated to the Rehabilitation Hospital as part of the Art and Healing initiative, I thought it a good idea to share with the kind community here. It is not only the first image to be posted here on this forum by me, but it is the first MF long exposure with ND filter that I have ever made. Overall, I am happy with it, and I can only hope it inspires a few people who will view it in a hospital setting.

My humble effort:

Studio INSPIRE!
Hasselblad H5D, 80mm 2.8, 6-stop ND filter:
Candler Lake Dam Waterfall getDPI.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Friday evenings are always slow... so now to have some fun! This is the first image I made with the H5D-50c, as I was unboxing it and saw that I was being watched.

Here is our granddog, Aubie who was visiting at the time.

Hasselblad H5D-50c, 80mm lens:
Aubie-1.jpg

D&A

Friday evenings are always slow... so now to have some fun! This is the first image I made with the H5D-50c, as I was unboxing it and saw that I was being watched.

Here is our granddog, Aubie who was visiting at the time.

Hasselblad H5D-50c, 80mm lens:
View attachment 128728
What a cutie Dave! Aubie doesn't care how many MP the camera has. She simply wants you to put it on the floor so she can have a go at it...thinking, oh what fun!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Pramote, my wife refers to my teeny 24" printer as "the tanning bed". There's no way I can justify a 44" beast (to her) ;).

Joe
The 44" is not as much bigger than the 24" as you'd think. I have room for either, except they both come with a divorce. :argue:

--Matt

dave.gt

This summer has been quite busy and it looks to be continuing far longer than I expected. So, I did take a minute to stop by the old mill for a quick long exposure. THIS was before I was able to try out the ND filter experience.

It will be interesting to compare this with a future image using a 6-stop ND filter.

Starr's Mill:

Hasselblad H5D-50c, 80mm/2.8
Starr's Mill-1.jpg

Strangely, I just noticed all the turtles on the rocks at the base of the mill's foundation...

This jpg looks a little less than sharp. I may try another time with the raw file to start with before exporting as a small jpg.

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote

Just my two cents on the differences between 50 mp and 100 mp and print size.

You can defintely push a 50 mp file to a paper print at 43" x 57" print, but the print lacks the smoothness and detail that is available when shooting with the 100mp. I like my clients to be able to get up close to my prints and look at the details that are in the 100mp file. I don't like my prints to look digital, preferring a more smoother look almost like film. Obviously, the image content plays a big factor in how large the print can be. A detailed image of trees, which is what I typically sell benefits emmensely from the higher megapixels. Of course a canvas print is easy for a 50mp file at 43" x 57".

Steven
Steven,

Would you mind posting this picture again? It's very beautiful.

Thanks
Pramote

Status
Not open for further replies.