The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

scho

Has anyone tried the new Kolari IRChrome filter on a FS converted camera? Sample results look impressive and provide a reasonable simulation of EIR film without much manipulation.
I may try one, but currently not available until late April or early May.

One of the sample raw files from Kolari that I simply opened in Lightroom and converted to jpeg for export to Flickr. Taken with a full spectrum Canon 6DII with Kolari IRChrome filter.

Last edited:

JoelM

I hadn't played around with this camera in nearly 5 years so thought I would take a quick picture in the overcrowded backyard. NEX-7 at 635nm with Canon 24-70 f4L.

Joel

irFun.jpg

JoelM

I bought this NEX-7 from Cindy Flood about 5 years ago and am just really messing around with it now. I'll try to get a few up in the following days/weeks. I am VERY new to IR (655nm) so any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get nice blue skies, but it is proving a challenge. With Canon 24-70 f4L.

Joel

_DSC2468.jpg

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I bought this NEX-7 from Cindy Flood about 5 years ago and am just really messing around with it now. I'll try to get a few up in the following days/weeks. I am VERY new to IR (655nm) so any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get nice blue skies, but it is proving a challenge. With Canon 24-70 f4L.

Joel

View attachment 140632
Joel, I would take photo into PS. Convert to Profile > lab color. Then CTRL-M to bring up a curves adjustment. Under channel, pick b. Move the left side of the curve in. You can play around with curves in lab and see if you want blue brighter or lighter. Then Convert to profile back to your regular editing profile (mine is prophoto). You might need to do a hue/sat adjustment now and just work on the blue channel. ....see if that gets you any closer to what you want.
The lab color space is very powerful in bringing out the colors.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Joel

View attachment 140632
Your photo is very nice. I don't find the sky objectionable.
I went back a processed a photo taken with your camera.park-1.jpg I think you have to get used to the fact that these are false colors and don't always come out as you expect (but that is the fun of it.) After using the LR camera profile (that I gave you) and taking it into PS and swapping the channels, try the LAB adjustment. Then do hue/saturation adjustments. If you are still not where you want to be, just play with it. Maybe others can add some tips.

Uaiomex

Re: "Capturing Infrared with Sigma 16/1.4 with Sony Axxx?

Hello, I am currently very interested to "upgrade" my Supercolor converted A6000. This lens seems to be really sharp at a great price. I've searching through the web for info including Lifepixel and Kolari hotspot databases but no luck yet.
Thanks for your responses and comments
Ed