The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PAW -- Picture A Week -- Have fun!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My daughter got married yesterday. Here's one from the party. The Samyang was surprisingly easy to focus wide open in the dark of the dance floor.

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2, 1/50s and ISO 3200

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Misère ouverte is a bid in solo whist.

Cards on the table.
No tricks.
No Trumps!

This is a pack of old playing cards at the Holburne Museum, Bath.

Arjuna

I often have intentions to support this brand-agnostic thread that aren’t realized, but here is one to celebrate ordering Hakusan/Will’s new book.

I was in Japan again this spring: I have been there four times before, twice including Tokyo and Tsukiji, but not for ten years. There are plans to move Tsukiji, and tear it down, so this might have been my last chance to visit it. (The moving plans have already been delayed once, as the new site has some problems.)

When I visited Tsukiji before- in 2006 and 2007 (I think) - I just walked in, and the only problem was finding the tuna auction - I failed the first time, but succeeded the second. I don't remember seeing many other tourists. It is a very busy place: large but crowded; lots of people rushing all over; some hand, and many motorized carts moving fish and boxes around, quickly.

It seems that it has since been overrun with tourists, so there are new rules: the market is closed to tourists until 10:00 AM, but up to 120 visitors per day, on a first-come, first-served basis, can register to watch the tuna auction, from 5:00 AM, on the first floor of the ‘Fish Information Center’, by the Kachidoki Bridge entrance (I have no idea where that is).

The day after I arrived in Tokyo was Sunday, so the market was closed, but the second night that I was in Tokyo, I woke up a little after 4:00 AM - probably a bit of jet lag - and decided to go to Tsukiji. My hotel was in Shimbashi, so I just walked over. The plan was to get 'there' on time, and then there wouldn't have been any problem. By rushing and not reading the map very well in the dark, I got lost - didn't get there until ~ 5:30 - mind you I didn’t know where to go for the auction registration anyway. I didn't know how they would enforce the new rules. If they had turned me away right away, I might have just come back at 10:00 AM, although I think that by then most of the business would be over, so it would be quieter, less interesting. As it happened, I just walked into the wholesale market, as I usually did, past the fruit section first, and then into the fish, and wandered about taking pictures for a while. Some people scowled at me, some smiled at me, and most ignored me. I didn’t see any other tourists, except that I did pass a small group of gaijin, wearing special safety vests - maybe they got there on time (so should have been watching the auction), or maybe they had some special permission. Eventually an official found me, showed me a laminated sheet with the new rules, and told me to go over to the North(?) side of the market, where tourists were allowed. It didn't seem as busy as I remember, but still fun. When I headed back a little later, there was a guard watching at the place I had walked in earlier.

Tuna at Tsukiji fish market, April 3, 2017. Leica T, 35 mm f2.5 Summarit, 1/125, ISO 1600.

Shashin

I often have intentions to support this brand-agnostic thread that aren’t realized, but here is one to celebrate ordering Hakusan/Will’s new book.
And thank you. Tsukiji is an amazing place. When I did my work, you could just walk into the market. I spent several nights there--and a few afternoons. But when the market is in full swing, the place can be kind of dangerous with the motorized carts (turrets).

This was all shot on 400 ISO medium-format film with either a Mamiya C220 or Mamiya 6.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To stay with the Tuna theme that Will introduced in the post above, here's the daughter of a tuna fisherman, taken among the Tuna boats on a beach just south of General Santos City in The Philippines. No, I didn't travel all the way to Mindanao just to stay on theme. I just happened to pass by today :)

GX8 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just to stay on theme for a few minutes longer, here's her grandfather, a fisherman too, and one of the tuna boats in the background.

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 100mm and f/4.5

pegelli

Negotiating a parking ticket (I think he got away with it :lecture:)

Sony A7 + Olympus OM Zuiko 200/4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Being a single father for a 4 year old can be a bit much sometimes, so now I have a live-in maid/nanny and a scooter :)

GX8 with Samyang 50mm f/1.2 @ f/4

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Apropos of nothing...just a crop from an old small sensor of a nothing pic which had a few pigeons flying across the corner...effect mainly with solarisation filter in ColEfex, sliding the 'elapsed time' slider back and forth...for amusement only!