The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

WildRover

Red-bellied woodpecker. 150-450mm; great, but heavy lens IMHO. Cropped, ISO 3200 and hand held.

Tom,

I almost purchased that lens when I first got my K-1. I would be interested in your impression of it as time goes on. My budget won't allow it now, but at some point I may decide to get it. I'd probably use it mostly for compressed landscapes, but it would nice also for the times I might try for critters.

Rick

tsjanik

Tom,

I almost purchased that lens when I first got my K-1. I would be interested in your impression of it as time goes on. My budget won't allow it now, but at some point I may decide to get it. I'd probably use it mostly for compressed landscapes, but it would nice also for the times I might try for critters.

Rick
Rick:

It's an excellent lens: sharp, good contrast and color and fast AF, although as a Pentax user, my standards for AF are likely low.
On the downside, it's big and heavy. I got a K-1 to use when I don't want to lug the 645Z and frankly if you carry this lens, you are not saving much in weight and size. The IBIS, fast and quiet AF and zoom are a big plus when significant.

Tom

tsjanik

Missing Alan's contributions to this thread of late, I hope you're out there taking photos. Here's one of mine. Lake Erie with lake ice, open water (with a few Golden Eye ducks), skim ice and broken shore ice. K-1, 28-105mm

Tom

_IMG7519 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

AlanS

Missing Alan's contributions to this thread of late
Thanks for the kind words Tom. Not shooting much at the moment, in the middle of "downsizing" our house, we move tomorrow! We are only moving about 50yds but it all has to be shifted! I hope in the next week or so I can get out again, I am going a bit stir crazy at the moment! :D

As you man know I like to check and look for underrated lenses.
This kind of lens is "pancake" zoom F 35-70 evenly sharp.
But as many old lenses it is not so contrasty.
I've also don't like to take with me tripods. So I tried burst shots and stacking :)
Kraków dawn by smog. 14 shots combined together to 32bit EXR file processed in SNS-HDR. For me this combination give more natural look than typical HDR bracketing. And Colors yes they was that intense.