The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some good info from a GFX owner

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Jim Kasson is a retired electrical engineer and colour scientist with a life long passion for photography. Jim recently started shooting with his Fuji GFX system and he seems to be quiet impressed by the system.

Be warned, Jim is a scientist at heart, so he takes an engineering approach checking out stuff.

Meanwhile, Lloyd Chambers is testing both the X1D and the GFX. So long he is not happy with the GFX, but he thinks that there may be some issue with his sample. Lloyd goes into great detail in his testing and anything wrong he will find it. (Nothing wrong? He still might find it.)

Seems that Lloyd really likes the X1D! Did he find issues? You don't need to ask.

If you plan to spend 10 k$US on an X1D it may make some sense to spend 100$ on Lloyd's stuff. Jim Kasson's stuff is absolutely free, and Jim is always open to a constructive dialogue about his findings.

Here is Jim: Fujifilm GFX-50S Review

And here is Lloyd: https://diglloyd.com/idx-mf.html

Best regards
Erik

Quentin_Bargate

Erik

Thanks for posting this, and of course thaks to Jim for his very thorough testing of the GFX and various lens combinations.

Jim's tests comfirm what I thought I was seeing with the GFX and 120mm macro combination - quite exceptional edge to edge performance. Also very positive news for the GFX and 63mm lens.

I didn't need to be told that, I had determined as much from my short time using the GFX and 120mm macro, but perhaps others put off by slightly negative press from other quarters might like to take note and check out the samples in Jim's review.

Hi,

Jim Kasson is a retired electrical engineer and colour scientist with a life long passion for photography. Jim recently started shooting with his Fuji GFX system and he seems to be quiet impressed by the system.

Be warned, Jim is a scientist at heart, so he takes an engineering approach checking out stuff.

Meanwhile, Lloyd Chambers is testing both the X1D and the GFX. So long he is not happy with the GFX, but he thinks that there may be some issue with his sample. Lloyd goes into great detail in his testing and anything wrong he will find it. (Nothing wrong? He still might find it.)

Seems that Lloyd really likes the X1D! Did he find issues? You don't need to ask.

If you plan to spend 10 k$US on an X1D it may make some sense to spend 100$ on Lloyd's stuff. Jim Kasson's stuff is absolutely free, and Jim is always open to a constructive dialogue about his findings.

And here is Lloyd: https://diglloyd.com/idx-mf.html

Best regards
Erik

M

mjr

I have to stop reading this stuff, I couldn't understand why the image and crops were so bad in this review until I read that he shoots all of his tests through a window, now unless Zeiss have made it for him and adjusted it for optical perfection I can't see the point? Is it that all lenses are reduced to the same level of crap so it's easy to see which one is better? I honestly have no idea why take the time to set all this up, test everything and not be bothered to open the window! Pointless.

Mat

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have to stop reading this stuff, I couldn't understand why the image and crops were so bad in this review until I read that he shoots all of his tests through a window, now unless Zeiss have made it for him and adjusted it for optical perfection I can't see the point? Is it that all lenses are reduced to the same level of crap so it's easy to see which one is better? I honestly have no idea why take the time to set all this up, test everything and not be bothered to open the window! Pointless.

Mat
I wouldn't put it *quite* that strongly but basically I'm with you. When it comes to evaluating gear, shooting through even a 'known' window is hardly the best choice. It might (if all the cameras tested over time are perfectly identically positioned with exactly the same lens) have the single virtue of being a level playing field but as you say, the window is unlikely to have an optical spec as good as an Otus.

It seems a very odd choice.

M

mjr

Yes, I was a bit strong, maybe I should have given credit that he didn't use a frosted bathroom window! Ha.

I can appreciate that we all test and use our cameras in different ways, it is obviously a way that he likes to evaluate and so it is relevant to him, I see that, but as I have checked spec sheets from Zeiss and Leica glass and non claim that the front elements are upvc framed and double glazed, I'm guessing there's a very good reason for that! I personally get the impression from this that the photography is secondary, it's just a random way of getting a file so he can sit for hours at the computer making crops and comparisons, this makes it pointless to me, some will agree and some will love it, such is life.

Mat

DB5

A review shot through a window is absolutely pointless and nonsensical and makes everything else this person says highly questionable. I stopped reading too.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just a dirty window lit by the sunrise. I usually open it for photography. :cool:

It's the one on the right.

Sorry, getting :OT:!

--Matt

V

Vivek

Meanwhile, Lloyd Chambers is testing both the X1D and the GFX. So long he is not happy with the GFX, but he thinks that there may be some issue with his sample.

And here is Lloyd: https:// Best regards Erik[/QUOTE]...onclusions. :) $100 is money down the drain.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Would be interesting what MT finds. That is also free and would probably have the same conclusions. :)

$100 is money down the drain.
Ming can no longer be regarded as independent and I am quite sure that is why he hasn't reviewed the x1D since his first thoughts several months ago. As for the $100 - well, I personally have saved a fortune over the years by listening to Lloyd. He isn't always right but he has a very high hit-rate. Because some people find his manner abrasive, they overlook the value of his content, IMHO.

tashley

Subscriber Member
A review shot through a window is absolutely pointless and nonsensical and makes everything else this person says highly questionable. I stopped reading too.
But he's shot hundreds of lenses through that window. It must be ok.

Last edited:
If you plan to spend 10 k$US on an X1D it may make some sense to spend 100$ on Lloyd's stuff.
I'm subscribed to all of diglloyd's reviews for years. After going through his thoughts on the GFX, I'm pretty sure a Nikon D810 or a Sony A7R-II works way much better (for me).

V

Vivek

Ming can no longer be regarded as independent and I am quite sure that is why he hasn't reviewed the x1D since his first thoughts several months ago. As for the $100 - well, I personally have saved a fortune over the years by listening to Lloyd. He isn't always right but he has a very high hit-rate. Because some people find his manner abrasive, they overlook the value of his content, IMHO.
No bias towards Zeiss at all?