The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XD1 Walk though

John Brawley

Hi all.

I've been a lurker for some time. I'm wrestling with choosing a MF camera and have scoured some great threads on these forums trying to learn as much as I could about the X1D.

I had the chance for a few hours of shooting with the X1D a few weeks ago and thought I'd share my thoughts along with some RAW files. I found there weren't a lot of downloadable files out there of camera originals, so I've included most of mine in the below link.

My perspective is as an ancillary user of this type of camera, so this might be aimed a bit low for some of you.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/blad-to-the-bone/

JB

John Brawley
Cinematographer
Currently Atlanta Georgia

dave.gt

Thanks For the review. It reinforces my plan NOT to buy one.
Interestingly, it reinforces my desire to get one myself! But that will be down the road solely because it does not fit into our 5-year business plan. However... I can rent one, too !:thumbs:

I appreciate the candid review as I come from a Leica background. It takes a lot of work to do these reviews, so it is much appreciated.:)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In what respects? It seems to be a positive review, except for the lengthy blackout time.

Kirk
Lengthy blackout time ... its a non optical mirrorless camera ... go figure ... want a Leica ... then shoot a Leica.
Really poor review in that he continues to evaluate a new MF camera in the light of his present love.

Reality is that six hours with a camera does not allow one to wax eloquently about the deficiencies of a digital camera ...
doubt that he discovered all of the inticacies of the shooting envelope in that time.

I know photographers who are reticent to discuss a camera they have not lived with for less than a year ... 6 hours may be the
new low limit for comment. I surmise it is similar to commenting on the character and strengths of someone that you had a one night
stand.

We live in a time of the sound ... visual ... and cerebral ... evanescent moment ... do we really have the need to share our incomplete
shallow understanding of an event?

God ... I am old and feeling older every time I read one of these poorly conceived emotive sharing events.

Do not take this personally ... just a comment on the falling standards of our community and society.

I do have the camera ... working through its mixed bag of issues ... but honestly ... after 3 months am not able to do a walk through. May be
that I am a slow read ... or reticent to show my ignorance.

As an aside ... the HD from the camera is very good ... not made for whipping the camera or the video but what a beautiful MF view
with decent resolution.

John ... we both are aware that it is not a video camera ... not a rangefinder ... and probably a poor mirrorless camera. First rendition
is going to be flawed ... but the sensor is without a doubt a winner ... and Phocus allows for amazing recovery of highlights ... color fidelity
is superbe. I wish that you were able to use it for a number of months in trying situations ... beats the hell out of any Leica M I have owned ...
M6 M7 M8 M8.2 M9 M Mono M246 ... all great cameras and fabulous lenses ... which the XCD lenses cannot surpass. But 35 FF vs this small MF sensor
... my vote is to carry a bit more weight ... and deal with the somewhat clinical rendering of the XCD lenses.

Not an Alexa mini ... but honestly nothing else is close.

John ... would love for you to acquire the camera ... learn its strengths and weaknesses and report back in a year. Should be a very different
story ...

Just saying ....

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

I realize that the preceding comments could be construed as a bit harsh ... happens when I have had a couple glasses of wine.

And truly would love to have this conversation in a pub ... the exchange would seem less harsh and the ability to respond
would be helpful.

The X1D has not met the expectations of those who hoped for great MF sensor ... beautiful lenses ... and most importantly decent
mature firmware.

But in the long term it may be a decent camera for those of us who want decent size files without a huge investment in weight or cost.

Bob

hcubell

I realize that the preceding comments could be construed as a bit harsh ... happens when I have had a couple glasses of wine.

And truly would love to have this conversation in a pub ... the exchange would seem less harsh and the ability to respond
would be helpful.

The X1D has not met the expectations of those who hoped for great MF sensor ... beautiful lenses ... and most importantly decent
mature firmware.

But in the long term it may be a decent camera for those of us who want decent size files without a huge investment in weight or cost.

Bob
Well. actually, after using the X1D for 6 months, I find it does largely satisfy my needs for a small, light, portable system with a great sensor and fantastic lenses. It falls down on the mature firmware. It's getting there, but not there yet. But look, nothing is perfect. We all have to prioritize what's most important and what's less important and decide if the great things about a system outweigh the not so great things.

DougDolde

I'm stuck on a wish to buy a Leica Q. Not to replace my Phase One XF/IQ180 but to have a more flexible (?) and lighter camera, a hand holdable walk around camera with enough resolution to make a pretty good 24x36. maybe bigger depending on the image.

I suppose the X1D could replace both of the two above but it's not what I am going to do.

dave.gt

Well. actually, after using the X1D for 6 months, I find it does largely satisfy my needs for a small, light, portable system with a great sensor and fantastic lenses. It falls down on the mature firmware. It's getting there, but not there yet. But look, nothing is perfect. We all have to prioritize what's most important and what's less important and decide if the great things about a system outweigh the not so great things.
Agreed!:thumbup:

In recent years, I have been refined through the fiery process of aging and dealing with life and death issues as a caregiver on a daily basis. That refinement has changed my perspective on life. As most people tend to do, I really did not seriously consider the short time we had left, either from a health standpoint or the simple fact that our days are numbered.

One of the things in my new perspective on living is to not preclude doing something like enjoying a beautiful moment, helping others, spending time with loved ones, and making the most of "now". If I had the resources, I would buy an X1D now and enjoy the experience rather than wait for the perfect camera. It doesn't exist and preferences are fine, so long as we each respect others and their own preferences.

My Leica experiences have taught me that! But why is it people think they will live forever? That vacation or road trip that one puts off may not be a possibility in the blink of an eye. It has happened to us and it will happen to everyone sooner or later. Enjoy life now! Buy an X1D and take amazing pictures. Who knows who you might inspire with your images?

John Brawley

Lengthy blackout time ... its a non optical mirrorless camera ... go figure ... want a Leica ... then shoot a Leica.
Really poor review in that he continues to evaluate a new MF camera in the light of his present love.
Bob, I own many mirrorless cameras, none of which have the blackout time the X1D suffers from. It makes it borderline unusable for me in the shooting circumstances I intend to use the camera in.

Which I thought I was pretty clear about. I was hopeful the X1D would give me a rangefinder (not Leica per se) style of shooting in a digital medium format camera. It doesn't quite get there for me, mostly because of the EVF blackout.

Reality is that six hours with a camera does not allow one to wax eloquently about the deficiencies of a digital camera ...
doubt that he discovered all of the inticacies of the shooting envelope in that time.
I did acknowledge that I only had a few hours of shooting and a few hours being forced to work in a post application I'm not familiar with either. I thought I did pretty well.

I know photographers who are reticent to discuss a camera they have not lived with for less than a year ... 6 hours may be the
new low limit for comment. I surmise it is similar to commenting on the character and strengths of someone that you had a one night
stand.
I'm not going to try a camera out for a year to then learn she's not the one I'll marry if there's a fairly big question as to the viability of it as a picture taking tool.

We live in a time of the sound ... visual ... and cerebral ... evanescent moment ... do we really have the need to share our incomplete
shallow understanding of an event?
And yet I could find few reviewing it from my perspective as a rangefinder mixed lighting shooter, nor could I find any actual RAW files I could download and process. Bob where was the review shallow ? From what point did I demonstrate incomplete understanding ? You want me to take it down ?

God ... I am old and feeling older every time I read one of these poorly conceived emotive sharing events.
And yet here you are posting one of your own.

Do not take this personally ... just a comment on the falling standards of our community and society.
Don't take this personally, but your view makes it sound like you've got other issues in your life that are affecting your ability to simply understand that people approach cameras with many perspectives and needs.

I do have the camera ... working through its mixed bag of issues ... but honestly ... after 3 months am not able to do a walk through. May be
that I am a slow read ... or reticent to show my ignorance.
Or you know enough to call mine out for it's shortcomings ?

As an aside ... the HD from the camera is very good ... not made for whipping the camera or the video but what a beautiful MF view
with decent resolution.
Hey now you're in my house.

I'm a professional cinematographer.

This is a terrible video camera.

It's has a terrible integration time. That means a terrible rolling shutter which will create skew on any verticals and make it nearly impossible to shoot anything hand held, or even on a tripod that pans and tilts, or mounted to a vehicle for a tracking shot, or even on a gimbal, because anything that moves in the frame, no matter if you're moving the camera or not, will also have the same image artefact of a slow integration time. When the last time you saw a great film where the camera or subject didn't move ?

Anything more than 20ms is going to be problematic and it looks to me by eyeballing it, something upwards of 30ms.

I haven't shot a film or television series that didn't move the camera. That's why they call it moving pictures.

I was actually being kind because the video specs themselves are so terrible by any standard I didn't even bother.

It shoots 1920 8 Bit 4:2:0 video.

That was good video in about 2002 on a consumer camera.

An EM 1 Mark 2 or a GH5 wipes the floor with it. And they have far more useable rolling shutter integration time, the ability to change exposure mid take without the iris clicking loudly and unevenly and are stablised, either by optical lens IS or sensor IBIS.

The video is also highly compressed. Did I mention it's 8 Bit ? Who cares what resolution it's super sampling it from when you throw most of it away.

John ... we both are aware that it is not a video camera ... not a rangefinder ... and probably a poor mirrorless camera. First rendition
is going to be flawed ... but the sensor is without a doubt a winner ... and Phocus allows for amazing recovery of highlights ... color fidelity
is superbe. I wish that you were able to use it for a number of months in trying situations ... beats the hell out of any Leica M I have owned ...
M6 M7 M8 M8.2 M9 M Mono M246 ... all great cameras and fabulous lenses ... which the XCD lenses cannot surpass. But 35 FF vs this small MF sensor
... my vote is to carry a bit more weight ... and deal with the somewhat clinical rendering of the XCD lenses.
Sure, but that's your opinion.

I don't think it beats the Leica's I own because they're lighter more discrete and don't black out the image for a second or two when I take a picture.

But maybe I'm willing to compromise on that point and others. Hence me workshopping this idea in this piece that I wrote. Also known as my opinion.

Not an Alexa mini ... but honestly nothing else is close.
I did not once at all mention that camera. Why would you bring it up even ? It's not relevant at all to what we're discussing.

I don't think you actually read the piece I wrote. I am seeking a companion stills camera, maybe to replace a rangefinder style of shooting I already do now, not a replacement for an Alexa Mini

John ... would love for you to acquire the camera ... learn its strengths and weaknesses and report back in a year. Should be a very different
story ...

Just saying ....

Really ? I'm not going to buy a camera and invest the time if it's got issues that make it a non starter.

You've invested in the camera, it obviously does what it needs for you.

As it stands right now, when I go back and look at the photos I took while I had a similar amount of time a Leica S 006 then I find myself more drawn to those. I think I still prefer the look of the Leica S / Leica lenses over the X1D in this MF size. Again, my opinion. I don't think my board opinion would change from using it for a longer period of time. For me handling it while taking photos is as important to the end results themselves. That's not going to change.

But I won't even buy a Leica S 006 (or 007) because it's too big and I can't carry something that large around with me. Bringing it back to the point. Is the X1D small enough and functional enough to be that style of shooting in a MF format ?

Happy to engage in discussion, that's why I wrote it, but have some consideration that not everyone approaches these choices with the same metrics that you do in to your own style of shooting.

JB

Last edited:

abed

Thanks for the post.

Agree with you on processing software. Incidentally I learned to use a workaround to allow me processing with C1.
Very happy with the X1D and results with C1.

Abed

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It is generally expected that tests like this will always contain a significant amount of personal bias . :banghead: The post comes from the perspective of a Leica M shooter who is also a professional cinematographer . I am not surprised by any of his comments or findings .

By now most everyone should be familiar with the image quality possible from the Sony 50MP Medium Format sensor . Differences surely exist in “straight out of camera “ aesthetics but Hasselblad has always produced exceptional digital files . The new lenses were designed for this camera sensor and all the tests show them to be outstanding optics overall . So image quality is more a matter of aesthetics and personal preferences .

CCD verse CMOS has been beaten to death ....using both a Leica S 006 and S 007 ...profiling both cameras and working the tone curves to better match ...I still much prefer the S 006 for low ISO shooting especially in available light portraits ...however many many applications benefit from the better higher ISO performance of the S 007 and live view for seascapes is a real benefit .

So it really comes down to ergonomics (touch and feel) and operational characteristics . A camera that interferes with your ability to “pick it up and shoot” just destroys any chance of rhythm ......for an M shooter just unacceptable . Not so much on a tripod using live view . This isn t a RF thing its about the application of the camera to a general set of subjects . Shooting people involved in activity requires a responsive system .

EVF issues .....should be no surprises here ...every new camera system offered with EVF has gone thru generations of firmware upgrades to minimize black out between frames, reduce shutter lag , improve AF acquisition and tracking . EVF and LCD resolution ..never enough .

Finally add in that the X1D was developed and launched in a very short time under some significant duress and with tight money all around . Add in the “lets keep it a secret “ mentality and you have no real field testing .

Its totally the wrong system for the original poster .....he will not benefit in any significant way from MF IQ and the offsets to responsiveness ,size,weight,cost etc etc are hard to justify . Just because it has a beautiful form doesn t mean its a great alternative .

There is a lot to like about the X1D and I hope to buy in at some point ....but its not a MF M system . :thumbup:

Last edited:

docmoore

Hi John ... your points are well taken and I agree with many of them.

However ... one of the drawbacks that you mention was blackout time ... it took me a month to discover that if I turned off Image Preview there was no appreciable blackout ... the EVF is up as soon
as the third click of the shutter occurs ... which is the opening of the shutter once it has fired. Perhaps .2 seconds ... I have not timed it.

My comments on the video were not intended to suggest the camera is acceptable for pro work ... I have run the gamut of video cameras .... Sony EX1R, Red One, Epic, looked for something smaller and moved through Panasonic GH4, Sony A7S, A7R II, Canon 7D ML Raw, 5DIII ML Raw, 5D IV, 1Dx, Canon XC15, Canon EOS C100 MkII, Panasonic GH5 and the BM Pocket. Prior to buying the X1D ... not as a video camera ... I toyed with the Leica SL and a return to my CD Odyssey 7Q+. But my desire is 10 bit or RAW with DP AF. However anything much bigger than a 5DIV becomes a bit unmanageable solo. I have a 5K monitor but usually output HD or 2K ... mainly moving pics of landscapes and wildlife. Shame that the sensor is not like the 100mp Sony that can handle higher data rates, 4K and 10 bit color.

I mentioned the Alexa as the standard that should be attainable at a much lower threshold at this point ... and would love to see an image of comparable quality to it ... approaching that of my RedOne would
be great. And if the GH5 can nail such impressive video specs ... seems like it should be doable in a small MF camera ... probably needs a fan and better heat dissipation. And you are correct that the X1D should
be seen as a companion camera ...

I came to the X1D after a 4 year spell with 4 Leica S cameras ... and multiple lens AF mechanism failures and a sensor corrosion issue. I do not think that the lenses of the XCD range come close to the mojo
of the Leica S lenses ... but Leica's poor turnaround on repairs soured me on the system.

If there is a dealer near you ... would suggest that you demo the camera with the newest firmware and turn Image Preview off in the menu. If you occasionally need to look at the capture hit the play button then return to LV. Think it might change your mind concerning the blackout issue. When I first demo'd the camera with IP on ... thought it was locked up at times ... I have to say that even though I like the X1D I travel with a Leica Q ... super fast small and excellent IQ and haptics. But when I travel photography is secondary ... the shutter sound for me is probably the worst aspect of the camera ... none of my
prior leaf shutter lenses sounded this metallic and irritating. Hope that is a sign that they will last for a very long time.

John, my apologies for the tone of my previous comments ... your review was well reasoned for the time that you had with the camera ... and there is very little information out there to guide one
in evaluation which is why I suggested it is hard to get a complete sense of its value ... I am only a couple of months in ... through 2 firmware updates and still discovering ways to make the camera
work for me. Have not even begun to find its limits ... if you have specific questions please ask ... not sure anyone will know at this point.

I highly recommend that if you evaluate RAWs from the camera that you use Phocus ... in spite of its 1980's vibe and poor interface it has unbelievably good highlight recovery, clarity and of course lens
corrections built in. I output TIFF 16-2 files in ProPhoto to LR and then edit in PS. Actually very little is need in LR after processing with Phocus ... it is just my preferred image management program.

I have a small collection at GetDPI of fairly static shots with the X1D ...

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/docmoore/albums/

If you are interested in RAWs let me know ...

But I do understand that the camera is a bit of a kludge at this point ... small lens selection ... less than sorted firmware and could use a faster interface ... hard to beat the Leica M for discreet shooting
.... as long as your eye sight can cope with the RF. I find the X1D a bit faster than the Leica Monochrom M246 with the EVF2 but am sure the SL would smoke it.

Again, apologize for the tone and content of my prior post.

Bob

hcubell

If there is a dealer near you ... would suggest that you demo the camera with the newest firmware and turn Image Preview off in the menu. If you occasionally need to look at the capture hit the play button then return to LV. Think it might change your mind concerning the blackout issue. When I first demo'd the camera with IP on ... thought it was locked up at times ... I have to say that even though I like the X1D I travel with a Leica Q ... super fast small and excellent IQ and haptics. But when I travel photography is secondary ... the shutter sound for me is probably the worst aspect of the camera ... none of my
prior leaf shutter lenses sounded this metallic and irritating. Hope that is a sign that they will last for a very long time.

Bob
Bob, I have not noticed a difference in the EVF blackout with Image Preview turned off. What I do find makes a significant difference is whether I am shooting RAW plus JPEG v. just RAW. The blackout is quite a bit longer with RAW+JPEG.

docmoore

That is good to know ... I never shoot JPG ... as it influences what I see in post.

Although the original Fuji cameras did a great job with their JPG emulations ... probably still do.

May have been that the demo camera in store was JPG/RAW in settings.

Thanks,

Bob

PeterA

I look for and make totally different images with my XID than I look for a capture with an M or my Leica SL - that is why I own an XID. So far my images are pretty boring as far as subject matter goes, it takes me a long time to get to know a camera and risk it on must make it just right situations ..... I love its ability to capture subtle tones and deliver beautiful colour for large prints, this camera is about making images that are based on set up situations - either portraits or landscape or some sort of wider bigger slower view - I can walk around carrying this little mighty mouse all day - love that.

Pete

KeithL

I'd never been more excited by a camera announcement than I was by the X1D. I was looking forward to a digital version of the Mamiya 7 or a medium format version of the Leica M digital cameras. It's neither. Needless to say I didn't buy.

Horses for courses.

hcubell

I'd never been more excited by a camera announcement than I was by the X1D. I was looking forward to a digital version of the Mamiya 7.....
That's exactly what it is for me, with certain capabilities that the Mamiya 7 sitting in my closet lacks, like back button autofocus, manual focus in magnified Live View, and the ability to evaluate highlight and shadow clipping in my exposures.

KeithL

That's exactly what it is for me, with certain capabilities that the Mamiya 7 sitting in my closet lacks, like back button autofocus, manual focus in magnified Live View, and the ability to evaluate highlight and shadow clipping in my exposures.
There are glaring omissions but the lag killed it for me.

Maybe the X2D will be able to take the place of a rangefinder but the X1D certainly can't. As I said, horses for courses.

hcubell

There are glaring omissions but the lag killed it for me.

Maybe the X2D will be able to take the place of a rangefinder but the X1D certainly can't. As I said, horses for courses.
The shutter lag or the lag in the form of the EVF blackout? No doubt, these ARE issues depending upon one uses the X1D. Generally not a problem for me.

The X2D with the next generation Sony 100 MP MF sensor will presumably be far more responsive. Hasselblad and Fuji are well aware of the limitations of the current Sony sensor in terms of providing "snappy" performance. I recall that Fuji has said publicly that it is intent on improving the shutter and EVF lag issues in future models of the GFX.