The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Thorkil

Ai -- I don't disagree with you much at all when we get down to it. I still do photography because I enjoy the process from a hobbyist standpoint; I find it therapeutic. But my excitement over results has morphed to the point they don't really juice me anymore -- it's still the simplicity of "being in the outdoors" when I shoot landscapes, hanging with like-minded people when we do workshops, and looking for the evasive "one in a million" keeper shot. To that end, I could reasonably accomplish all of it with my iPhone, but I do get some juice from using decent gear and absolutely prefer the feel of the legacy equipment in my hand whilst doing it ;) Plus it gives me something to talk about here :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Jack...! ...your statement which I consider more seriously than the inbuild smiles suggest, actually made me some sort of depressed.
No that is perhaps an exaggeration, but with some thruth in it.
I guess its also in some way to do with our age, and the following mindset.
Well I have still this lust for silly pictures, to some sort of way of setting me free, free from the limitations we build up around ourselves....
we are placed in the gap between making "over-seriously" pictures and the lust for doing "the wild things".
How to get over the book-keeper instinct, so to speak.
But I can't get them done, and I do think that we are our own too-hard-judges and our own limitations and restrictions.
It reminds me, while I was very regually wisiting the art museum Louisiana, north of Copenhagen, since I was about 16, when I got some sparetime, I was there. They had some painting of a danish Painter Oluf Höst, my absolute favorit. And if you go through his production it becomes clear, that he is lifting his ability and quality in his painting by high measures after he hit the age of 60 year. He was thereafter sort of liberating himself, setting himself free. That happens to several artists
My statement is: we have come to an age where we can allow ourselves to set us free. Think about it.
Therefore we have to reinvent freedom, inspiration and creativity, and get it out beyound our physical limitations
And in that proces, there will be fotprints do be done in our pictures. Let them be done !
Amen
Thorkil
Ps sorry for spelling and so.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also have one on order with Bedford in Little Rock, they of course require full payment in advance to get to the top of the list, I had paid 1/2 down and have been on order as long.

Paul Caldwell
I try to use my local dealer ProPhoto Supply in Portland for gear like this. No deposit/payment until delivery. Luckily small enough that you get to be high on their list and established enough to get decent batches of cameras. B&H in this regard is a disaster due to sheer demand and locking your $$$ in.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

It's when I see discussions like this I'm happy to take my F6 out for a stroll, knowing that there will probably never be an upgrade or a replacement :)
Me too. The best film camera in the world bar none, including my Leica. Film hit a pinnacle and it was the F6 and arguably Ricoh GR1 series and Contax G2. Ok Leica MP too if you want to do it all yourself vs automation.

GrahamWelland

I’ll be picking up a D850 eventually, just because it makes sense in my gear garage. Don’t need it, don’t much like 3:2 format but there are times when nothing else can compare such as when I was on safari in September. Nikon was the absolutely ideal tool for the job.

(no disrespect to other DSLR vendors - I’m just biased to Nikon 35mm dslrs since 1999)

Paul2660

I try to use my local dealer ProPhoto Supply in Portland for gear like this. No deposit/payment until delivery. Luckily small enough that you get to be high on their list and established enough to get decent batches of cameras. B&H in this regard is a disaster due to sheer demand and locking your $$$ in.
Hi Graham, B&H currently doesn't charge until product arrives at least for all the preorders I have done with them. It was my local dealer than wanted the dollars up front. Their policy, is that you can get on the list, but if someone comes in and prepays full dollar, they are put on the list ahead of you. That has always been their policy and I have never liked. But they have had a greater number of orders filled than B&H for sure. My fire is out for now, the D850 will eventually get normal supply and the D810 can get the job done for me for now.

Paul Caldwell

jlancasterd

Good policy. I got my D850 on 11 September by ordering through my 'local' (50 miles away) independent camera store in North Wales on the day the camera was announced. Again no deposit, and happy to do a trade on my D810.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How do you protect yourself if the dealer goes bankrupt?
Use a credit card. Merchants are required to maintain a minimum cash reserve to chargeback against. If the chargeback fails the CCC will eat it. Either way they'll take it off your bill if the goods you paid for will never be delivered. If it's merely an authorization they'll cancel it on request.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Smaller, lighter... have you heard of fuji fuji xe3... i need more pixels, but to be honest, i'm very impress by fuji offerings !
I've always liked the Fujis, and I'm very tempted by the X-Pro1/2. The X-Pro1 is dirt cheap these days and could be worth a try. However, there are three reasons for buying the D610:

- FX-sized sensor
- Optical viewfinder
- I have some nice F-mount lenses

I also try to convince myself that two systems are enough... plus Olympus OM (the lenses would have worked nicely with the Fuji and a Speed Booster of course) plus Mamiya 645 plus Fuji GX680 :wtf: :loco: :chug:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the Fuji XT2 with some great lenses - a perfect camera and glass - and finally sold it because I could not find any advantages compared to my m43 EM1.2 and Pro lenses setup. Instead the XT2 (same as XPro2) is not as intuitive to use for me as the EM1.2 and the differences between APSC and m43 are far too small to justify 2 parallel systems.

A FF system would be a totally different thing in addition to m43, but then again going APSC and FF -there is too little differences.

My advice: stay with one system and try to be happy. But if 2 systems then either m43 and FF OR APSC and Medium Format (aka Fuji GFX).

tcdeveau

While I don't disagree with your advice, I'm not so sure GetDPI would see much activity if we were all "stick with one system" folks haha.

My wife has a Fuji X-T1 that I use sometimes. My impression always when I pick it up is "it's so small!". I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's a nice kit, with some decent and affordable lenses (compared to FF Nikon/Canon/Sony). It takes nice images and even the JPEGs are fairly malleable. The last engagement shoot I did I shot with it and it did what it was supposed to. I may upgrade her at some point to an X-T2 to get the joystick and for the resolution uptick.

My personal gripe with any of the Fuji systems is the user experience. I despise the menu system, and with all the dials and buttons it has, they're always getting inadvertently pressed or turned and settings get changed the point where I have to go to the manual to figure out what happened which frustrates me to no end. It happened recently with the GFX when I played around with it too. First thing when I picked up the GFX in the store was some menu screen popped up and I couldn't figure out what I pressed (turned out to be the Q button) or how to get out of it without a salesperson there. That being said, some ppl like the Fuji menu system and collection/placement of buttons/dials, and say the same thing about Nikon's interface. I always liked the Nikon interfaces and button/dial collection/placement though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While I don't disagree with your advice, I'm not so sure GetDPI would see much activity if we were all "stick with one system" folks haha.

My wife has a Fuji X-T1 that I use sometimes. My impression always when I pick it up is "it's so small!". I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's a nice kit, with some decent and affordable lenses (compared to FF Nikon/Canon/Sony). It takes nice images and even the JPEGs are fairly malleable. The last engagement shoot I did I shot with it and it did what it was supposed to. I may upgrade her at some point to an X-T2 to get the joystick and for the resolution uptick.

My personal gripe with any of the Fuji systems is the user experience. I despise the menu system, and with all the dials and buttons it has, they're always getting inadvertently pressed or turned and settings get changed the point where I have to go to the manual to figure out what happened which frustrates me to no end. It happened recently with the GFX when I played around with it too. First thing when I picked up the GFX in the store was some menu screen popped up and I couldn't figure out what I pressed (turned out to be the Q button) or how to get out of it without a salesperson there. That being said, some ppl like the Fuji menu system and collection/placement of buttons/dials, and say the same thing about Nikon's interface. I always liked the Nikon interfaces and button/dial collection/placement though.
This is going quite a bit OT, but one reason why I keep switching between Nikon and Panasonic is that their ergonomics, including the menu systems, are similar. With some other brands, like Olympus, I have to install a different mindset in my brain. So Nikon and Panasonic it is :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Let's face it, almost any of us here -- and by "here" I mean the global GetDPI community :D -- can take our typical style images with virtually any camera system. I could pick up a CanonLeicaSonyPanasonicFujiHasselbladPhaseOne whatever, and in 5 minutes (okay, maybe 10 minutes with the PhaseOne or Hassy) tweaking through the menu screens, I would be able to make similar compositions to what I make with my Nikons -- and they'd be in focus, and they'd be properly exposed. Heck, I can do it now with my cell phone.

So what it comes down to for me are the nuances of ergo/usability and character of the output -- and in most cases they are nuances and not glaring differences.

If I don't get my D850 for 6 months, I'll be fine. Heck, if I don't get my D850 at all, I'll still be fine :D

/rant