The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) can do it now with my cell phone (...)
(...) if I don't get my D850 at all, I'll still be fine (...)
(...)
/rant

arghh - have mercy - I can't take anymore - wherever I turn I bump into this cell phone trauma of mine - what will become of us - is there a doctor present - :D

V

Vivek

arghh - have mercy - I can't take anymore - wherever I turn I bump into this cell phone trauma of mine - what will become of us - is there a doctor present - :D
Just because Jack can do it with a cell phone does not mean anyone can. :)

Hope this helps! ;)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

phew, thank you Vivek :eek:
it does help
if only for a short while
the invasion of the camera phones is like The Day of the Triffids
:shocked:

AlexLF

And I'll be the one who takes it within next 6 months for sure. Maybe less :)

Your nuances might be my deal breakers ;)

archivue

still not shire if i should update my nikon before my mfdb, i'm going to rend a D850 tomorrow... I've rented a D810 before, and for my type of shooting, there was not enough difference over the D800... but the D850 looks like a real upgrade !

Dustbak

still not shire if i should update my nikon before my mfdb, i'm going to rend a D850 tomorrow... I've rented a D810 before, and for my type of shooting, there was not enough difference over the D800... but the D850 looks like a real upgrade !

For some reason I tend to have difficulties with every upgrade. In the beginning of every upgrade I, don't like the colors, don't like the handling, don't like the AF, etc..etc.. That is probably I am already so used to the 'older model' I have difficulties adapting to change (also seems to go hand in hand with age...).

The D850 is growing really fast on me and indeed, is a real upgrade from the D800. In every way. After several months of usage I have a new BFF in the D850.

Paul2660

Hate to double post, as this is in the Fun with Nikon thread. But so far still one of my favorites with the D850.

[/url]Fall scene from Sams Throne by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

The D850 has had a larger learning curve than I expected, coming from the D800 and then D810. But it's quite capable for sure, especially when teamed with either a Milvus lens or one of the newer Zooms from Nikon, 24-70, 70-200 or 200-500.

Paul Caldwell

archivue

here is an other camera with a level that can't work when the camera is upside down... (repro... )... and because the screen isn't fixed, i can't find a good way to check the level with my belloved bubble level !

did i miss something ?

IMG_9406.JPG

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried it for the first time today. Very nice LCD. Live view AF seems to be improved. Not available here yet. Not that I have the money anyway but... tempting camera.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Can anybody show me a side-by-side with the D850 & D810 that shows the net gained detail as well as any gain in tonal smoothness?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Can anybody show me a side-by-side with the D850 & D810 that shows the net gained detail as well as any gain in tonal smoothness?
Jack,

simply buy the D850 - it is definitely better - and it will also be your last DSLR - as nothing will follow it, only mirrorless :cool:

Just my 5c

Peter

PS: wether I like this or not is a different topic :banghead:

jduncan

Jack,

simply buy the D850 - it is definitely better - and it will also be your last DSLR - as nothing will follow it, only mirrorless :cool:

Just my 5c

Peter

PS: wether I like this or not is a different topic: banghead:
Could not agree more, the other option is going mirrorless right now, with Sony: the leader in mirrorless and sensor technologies.
I will not jump ships until Nikon release or it becomes clear that they will not.

The sensor difference is a mixed package, but all the rest the D850 is a much better package.

Best regards,

Note: I love DSLRs, but I understand that it's a unsusteniable model.
Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Note: I love DSLRs, but I understand that it's a unsusteniable model.
Best regards,
Sustainable for who?

It's the other way around actually. DSLR is probably the sustainable model.

When I look at what fails in a camera, at least in my experience, it's:

1. Electronics, including sensor
2. Batteries
3. Mechanics

A couple of weeks ago, I had an odd experience with one of my mirrorless cameras, a Panasonic GX8. The colours in the viewfinder were suddenly washed out, pale and detail rendering looked like something out of a romantic C movie. The next day, it seemed fine again, but it made me wonder how long these viewfinders actually last. One thing is for certain though: replacing them is probably not an economical exercise to consider. Like most modern electronics, they are most probably designed not to be repaired. It's cheaper that way, at least as long as electronic corporations are not held accountable for the junk they generate.

One of many great things with optics and mechanics is that they are relatively easy to repair and replace. And even if some defect occurs, there are often temporary workarounds available. In a world that drowns in used plastics and electronic junk, that should have been a priority.

I like my mirrorless cameras and my other digital cameras too, but it's interesting to see that after nearly 50 years of SLR photography, I've had 1 shutter replacement, a D80 that was way past its "eat by" date (It also needed its top panel replaced.), but countless electronic failures, all except one with digital cameras. After nearly 50 years with analogue cameras and 14 with digitals.

It's interesting also to note that according to CIPA statistics, from January to October 2017:

- There were 87% more DSLR cameras than mirrorless cameras sold.
- The value of those DSLR cameras was 63% more than that of the mirrorless cameras

Mirrorless is catching up of course, but it's been 9 years now. That's a long transition for a technology that some call disruptive. I think we'll still have DSLR cameras in 10 and 20 years from now. Cameras like the D5600, the D7500 and the D750 show that DSLR bodies don't need to be large and heavy, and after 9 years using mirrorless cameras, I still prefer optical viewfinders for a lot of what I do. What Nikon needs to do though is pull out all the stops. The D750 replacement should have a viewfinder as good and as flexible as the one of a D850. The viewfinder is the single most important component of a DSLR camera, and in 10 years, it might be the only component that sets it apart from an iPhone, at least from a mainstream user's point of view. It's with that component I compose my photos. If it fails, I don't have a camera. Most of the time, glass don't fail.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) after 9 years using mirrorless cameras, I still prefer optical viewfinders for a lot of what I do (...) The viewfinder is the single most important component of a DSLR camera (...) It's with that component I compose my photos (...)

Hear, hear :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After using mirrorless with EVF for 8 years as well, I have seen huge improvement in EVF technology and I guess the current Panasonic G9 and Sony A9, A7rIII together with the Leica SL mark the pinnacle of current EVF evolution.

I am already pretty happy with the EVF of my Olympus EM1.2, which s for sure less quality than the above mentioned (as was the EFV of my Fuji XT2), so if I could upgrade to say a G9 EVF that would already be heaven for me I guess.

Having said that it would be tempting to get a D850 as it is maybe the last of the DSLRs (or maybe I am wrong) and keep it for when I am lusting to shoot digital SLR with some interesting Nikkor lenses - of course a used D810 would do this job as well pretty properly. But I think one can easily wait till used D850's become available, as soon as the nets wave of camera technology innovation (maybe even the FF Mirrorless Nikon) starts reaching the market and many will jump ship again :clap:

My prediction - this will be reality at least in 2020 if not earlier :banghead:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is all this talk about "the last DSLR"? The DSLR market is still almost twice as big as the mirrorless market, and it's basically shared by two companies, Canon and Nikon, while the mirrorless market, if we don't count the small players, is shared between:

- Sony
- Fuji
- Olympus
- Panasonic
- Canon

Roughly speaking, that means that even an optimistic forecast would give Nikon a mirrorless market share sized only a 5th of their DSLR market share, numbers not percentages. Even if they launch a few mirrorless cameras and even if they can fight their way up to a 20-30% share, there's no way they'll close down or give away their DSLR business in many years still. Why would they do that?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What is all this talk about "the last DSLR"? The DSLR market is still almost twice as big as the mirrorless market, and it's basically shared by two companies, Canon and Nikon, while the mirrorless market, if we don't count the small players, is shared between:

- Sony
- Fuji
- Olympus
- Panasonic
- Canon

Roughly speaking, that means that even an optimistic forecast would give Nikon a mirrorless market share sized only a 5th of their DSLR market share, numbers not percentages. Even if they launch a few mirrorless cameras and even if they can fight their way up to a 20-30% share, there's no way they'll close down or give away their DSLR business in many years still. Why would they do that?
I have no idea what Nikon or Canon will do with their DSLR market and future models. And I could not care less about any market share statistics - they say almost nothing!

For me one thing is very obvious since the introduction of the Sony A9 - the future of cameras will no longer be based on mechanical, but on intelligent pieces working seamlessly electronically together - this is simply the future and it will be hard if not impossible that mechanical "old School" cameras will be able to compete.

If we like this or not is a different story.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Once a global electronic shutter is technically feasible at modest competitive cost there is no point of using a mechanical shutter. But that will take some time as it depends on further advances in chip technology, following Moore’s law. The Sony A9 is certainly showing the way, being halfway there. The A9 is the best camera I have ever used.

Panasonic has very interesting technology with their organic sensor. As I understand it the organic sensor permits the separation of image capture from sensor readout, thus reducing the need for ultra high and costly bandwidth.

We will have even more wonderful cameras when all the technological pieces finally will come together. :thumbs: