The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 503 CWD can't tether to Phocus

Archie

First time post here as i find myself very frustrated.... I rely on this forum for most of my information about medium format so I hope someone can help.

I have just got hold of an anniversary edition 503 CWD with the 16mp cfv back. No matter what i try i cant get Phocus to see the back when tethered. it shoots with the card no problem but when i remove the card and connect it, it just says no media and phocus doesn't show a camera connected

Any ideas on how i can shoot tethered, i have downloaded the latest version of Phocus and also tried all the archived versions down to version 2.something.

The firewire powers up the back.

Is it a issue with the back?

I had been shooting tethered with my 503cw and P25 with out an issue. So far i am finding hasselblad frustrating. I am on the verge of selling it on.

Any hints, tips or cheats would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited:

Charles S

First time post here as i find myself very frustrated.... I rely on this forum for most of my information about medium format so I hope someone can help.

I have just got hold of an anniversary edition 503 CWD with the 16mp cfv back. No matter what i try i cant get Phocus to see the back when tethered. it shoots with the card no problem but when i remove the card and connect it, it just says no media and phocus doesn't show a camera connected

Any ideas on how i can shoot tethered, i have downloaded the latest version of Phocus and also tried all the archived versions down to version 2.something.

I had been shooting tethered with my 503cw and P25 with out an issue. So far i am finding hasselblad frustrating. I am on the verge of selling it on.

Have you tried Flexcolor ?
It's the software used with the early digibacks and the flextight scanners. I have used with an Imacon back and with a H3D and it works when Phocus doesn't.
It is less friendly than Phocus but to have a full screen view of what you are shooting, a 100% loupe to check focus, and a histogram it is fine

epforever

Have you tried changing the settings on the back before connecting to Phocus? Maybe you need to treat the back as if it's being attached to a technical camera. I'd try:

- If possible, set the back to draw power from the battery rather than the host computer.

- I'm not looking at my back right now, but change the settings to something like: Settings > Camera > Body > FlashSync <1/8sec

- See if there are other settings you can adjust. Something might work, through trial and error.

- Have you tried emailing Hasselblad in New Jersey?

Hope that helps.

ethan

Archie

Have you tried Flexcolor ?
It's the software used with the early digibacks and the flextight scanners. I have used with an Imacon back and with a H3D and it works when Phocus doesn't.
It is less friendly than Phocus but to have a full screen view of what you are shooting, a 100% loupe to check focus, and a histogram it is fine
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the when i try to install it says power PC software not supported... I was excited for a moment then!

Archie

Have you tried changing the settings on the back before connecting to Phocus? Maybe you need to treat the back as if it's being attached to a technical camera. I'd try:

- If possible, set the back to draw power from the battery rather than the host computer.

- I'm not looking at my back right now, but change the settings to something like: Settings > Camera > Body > FlashSync <1/8sec

- See if there are other settings you can adjust. Something might work, through trial and error.

- Have you tried emailing Hasselblad in New Jersey?

Hope that helps.

ethan
I've had a go at all this now, i still just see no media in the top right when attached by firewire, when i insert a card that is the only choice i have in the media section. Ive spent the best part of a day changing settings now haha... :banghead:

I guess an email to hasselblad can't hurt!

Thanks for your help.

Archie

Archie,

Where do you live?:)

BTW, awesome camera you have!!!
Hey Dave, I'm in Sao Paulo although i am British.

Its a beautiful camera, i picked it up super cheap from a guy who bought it new, it has damage on the IR filter so needs a pricey repair. It will still be a good price with repair cost so I will take it to send off next time i am in the UK. I'm in no rush to use it.
I picked it up as my 503cw and phase one were stolen. Brazil isn't the safest of places to be doing landscape photography, they lightened me of my Sony Rx1R also, as well as everything else i had on me..

I've been itching to get another 503 and when this came up i thought why not... Now i am thinking WHY.......:banghead:

dave.gt

Hey Dave, I'm in Sao Paulo although i am British.

Its a beautiful camera, i picked it up super cheap from a guy who bought it new, it has damage on the IR filter so needs a pricey repair. It will still be a good price with repair cost so I will take it to send off next time i am in the UK. I'm in no rush to use it.
I picked it up as my 503cw and phase one were stolen. Brazil isn't the safest of places to be doing landscape photography, they lightened me of my Sony Rx1R also, as well as everything else i had on me..

I've been itching to get another 503 and when this came up i thought why not... Now i am thinking WHY.......:banghead:
Sorry about the loss of gear...

Since you are outside the US, I think it might be a good idea to discuss the situation with Hasselblad in New Jersey... or their offices in the UK. I bet they can help you even if it is advised that you send it in for an evaluation. But it sounds to me that a simple solution may be quite likely. Best wishes for a speedy solution. Please keep us updated in your progress!:)