The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Light L16

Godfrey

There's a little half-moon indicator that comes up on the left side of the screen if the camera is going to use its stacking algorithm. It's subtle...! :)

Norm N

Here is my first low light sracked exposure. five little dots came marching across the photo as it was processing, not quite sure what the represented, perhaps five exposures? (SOOTC). 35mm, 1/24, iso 3200

FsherNwLlgt1080-00229.jpg

Last edited:

Norm N

The L16 now becomes a supplement to my Fuji gear. Given what I'm interested in photographing, the camera's only major drawback is it's need to first process in Lumen in order to get a fully developed photo.

WdoORNGBLD1080-00285.jpg

Norm N

Thank you Godfrey,

The L16 has the most accurate color of any camera that I've owned, and it almost seems that there is no lens intermediating between the sensors and what's being photographed. The camera is certainly helping when color is an integral part of the composition. I think Carl's onion basket and your facial portraits also show the L16's color quality.

I like the various Fuji color profiles, but there is a slight pastel shift in the basic profile. Perhaps I might try to create an accurate profile for the Fujis, in order to have that in my toolkit as well.

Regards,
Norm

Godfrey

I was up in the city with three friends of mine yesterday and pulled out the Light to make a photo of something. One of them hadn't see it before ... "What the heck is that?" et cetera ... which quickly devolved into making a photo or two of them all. :)

Light L16
ISO 400 @ f/2 @ 1/750 @ 46mm

full rez: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1787/42741576334_e63f08de4d_o.jpg

The dappled sunlight was difficult as usual, but it took only a little bit of Lightroom editing to get what I wanted.

enjoy!
G

Knorp

Hmmm..I wonder what a Light with 16 Leica lenses will cost.:bugeyes:
Well yes maybe it'll be expensive, but imagine what they could do; APO-Summicron, Summilux, Noctilux, WATE, Thambar. You name it: all in one device ... :p :toocool: :LOL:

Godfrey

You guys are hysterical! :)

Rather than joke about the price of Leica bits or the silliness of branding, I imagine rather what Leica's incredible optical and photographic expertise could do with Light's computational photography technology... :D

G

Godfrey

I attended a birthday party for one of my old friends in Sonoma yesterday and stuffed the Light L16 into my bag "just in case" I wanted to do something beyond nabbing an iPhone snappie. Didn't manage to do anything much beyond a snappie anyway, but I think they're fun snappies of good friends! :D

All with Light L16, focal length settings ~70-150mm
Processed to DNG in Lumen using the defaults.
Processed DNGs in LR 6.14

enjoy!
G

scho

I had a small Monarch butterfly dancing around some planter flowers this afternoon. Couldn't catch it with wings spread open, but still colorful.

Applied max DOF effect (f/2) in Lumen for this shot.

scho

A couple of shots taken at Sodus Point on the south shore of Lake Ontario. A cold front coming through pulled in some refreshing, cool Canadian air and some rough surf.

Norm N

We are having the best Fall in years....warm sunny days and cool night. So I brought the L16 to Forest Park to see what it could do with foliage.

FPGrdn1-00411.jpg

FPGrdn2-00404.jpg

FPGrdn3-00399.jpg

FPGrdn4-00413.jpg

Godfrey

Light.co has updated both the L16 firmware and the Lumen image processing app within the past couple of days.

L16 Software Release Notes
V1.3.3.5 (1335) - November 2018

On-device depth editing: We added the ability to adjust depth effect on your L16. You can now change the effective aperture from f/15 to f/2 and add that beautiful background blur. You can also change the focal point using your L16’s touch screen.

Video recording (beta): Your L16 can now record single-camera video at 1080p and 30fps. The video is based on using either the 28mm camera or the 70mm camera, allowing you to zoom all of the way from 28mm to 150mm.

Editing presets: Customize and create presets to easily edit your images in your style - all on your L16. Presets include color and geometric edits. Any changes will carry over to Lumen and be applied to the full (up to 52MP) resolution.

Power save mode: Maximize your L16 battery life with new Power save mode in the Android menu. The advanced settings even let you customize which functionality is turned off.

Capture experience: We updated the capture screen to include resolution (approximate megapixels) and handshake warning for low-light.

Lumen deletion: Now you can delete images in the L16 gallery directly from Lumen while your camera is plugged in.

Important: Some of these new features (rating system and editing on-camera) will require you to update to the latest version of Lumen Beta (v2.3.0 or later).​

Lumen Software Release Notes
V2.3.0 (Mac & Windows) - November 2018

Remote delete L16 images: Now you can delete images on the L16 directly from Lumen while your camera is plugged in. Easily manage your L16 gallery and storage in a few clicks.

Batch editing: Create and apply your style quickly to multiple images. Create presets or apply edits from one image to another. Editing options include everything on the right side of Lumen, including color, tone, and geometric edits.

Video import: Added support for video during import. Download your videos from the L16 for easy playback in your favorite video application.

Histogram: We improved the editing functionality by adding a histogram. Now you can see the tonal distribution and make changes more easily.

Improved import experience: We have made the import experience faster and easier.

Mojave support: Lumen now supports macOS 10.14.1.

Have at it! :D

G

Godfrey

Addendum:

Using the L16 yesterday, for the first time I plugged it into my Mac mini's native USB 3 port (I've been connecting it to a good but old Belkin USB2 hub since I bought it, convenience... yea). OMGawsh! Seeing it fling a couple hundred 250 Mbyte files across the wire effortlessly is astonishing after waiting for transfers o happen so slowly before!

Note to self: use USB3 or USB-C in the future...

Another thing: I didn't carry the L16 on my recent Big Trip because I realized that I had no way to move images from it to my iPad Pro 9.7 or iPhone 8 Plus for final tweaking and posting to flickr while I was traveling. I contacted Light.co about this a week or so ago. They know they need to produce an "L16 app" for iOS to communicate and control the L16 on WiFi, but they also know of a workaround that reputedly allows one to pull "preview" quality JPEGs from the L16 to an iOS device.

The workaround is to use an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter in conjunction with a standard Lightning to USB cable, the Light L16 Power Supply, and the Light L16 USB-C to USBA cable. Connect the USB3 Camera Adapter to power using the Lightning/USBA cable and the Light power supply, connect its Lightning connector to the iPhone 8 Plus, and the L16 (powered up and unlocked, in gallery mode) to the USB port on the adapter. Open Photos on the iPhone 8 and you can now pull preview JPEGs into the Photos library for editing and finishing, move them to the iPad Pro, etc.

You can't do this with the iPad directly, my tests showed that it would only work with the iPhone for one reason or another, but at least this way you can get good, clean 13 to 16 MPixel JPEG files ultimately onto the iPad for finishing with your image processing app of choice. A bit cumbersome for sure, but until the iOS app arrives it at least gives you a way to do this job.

G