The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss , Contax 645 lenses On Fuji GFX 50 Suggestions Portrait lens

rollsman44

I have the GFX and looking for a good IQ lens for portraits. 3rd Party is my liking. Don't want to break the bank but a VERY good lens to use with a Manual focus adaptor. Don't need AF
Pentax 67 and 645 is also a consideration. Leica R ?? Or maybe out of my range. I have read so many posts on third party lenses but I don't shoot landscapes. Portraits
Also, I don't shoot wide open so F4 - f8 works for me. Thank you

What about Contax 645 140f2.8 Sonnar

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
i am using the gfx with steelsring c645 adapter and my c645 lenses(55,80,120,140).
the lenses still hold up very well.

i am still in the phase of adapting the crop factor as i also shot with an iq180 before.
but in my opinion a worthy combination

chrismuc should also intervene here ;)

rollsman44

Thank you for getting back to me. I am assuming the c means Contax lens How is the 120 and the 140 for portraits? The adaptor will increase the price substantially. I normally shoot my portraits in Manual focus so I can save some money as well. Would you have any pictures to post with the 120 and 140. If not just your take on which one suits my needs. I use OCF and diffusers and I shoot F4 - f5.6 sometimes F8 Thank you very much

chrismuc

The Contax 645 Sonnar 140f2.8 is very useful as a portrait lens. Also the focal length on the Fuji resulting in a fov of a 110mm lens in 135 terms is very appealing.
Second hand price is 30-50% lower than the Contax 645 120f4 Apo-Makro.
At open aperture it's a tad soft and shows some CA at harsh light like you can see in my 'car portrait' shots in this thread:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...l-backs/63364-contax-645-lens-question-s.html

My boys portrait enclosed was also shot at open aperture and as you see, the bokeh is butter smooth, sharpness is very sufficient and with that softer light than in the car pic also hardly any CA is visible.
Very recommended.

m_DSF7904.jpg

100% crop
c_DSF7904.jpg

chrismuc

You mention also 135 lenses:

Contax CY 100f2 also will work perfectly. Excellent sharpness and the lens fully covers 44x33.
Same for Leica R 100f2.8 Apo-Makro, Sigma Art 135f1.8 and Zeiss ZE/Milvus 135f2.

Contax CY and Leica R only require cheaper manual adapters but the lenses became rather expensive at the Bay.

And if you intend to shoot at f4-8, I suggest lenses with EF or Contax 645 mount plus an auto aperture/ auto focus adapter because even if you want to shoot portraits manually it is much more convenient, quicker and the keeper rate is higher if you can focus at open aperture and for the exposure the lens closes to working aperture automatically.

chrismuc

one more example of Contax 645 140f2.8 @*f4
(actually by Contax 645 camera + Phase One IQ180 but I cropped it to 44x33 and the pixel size is basically the small like the Fuji)

m_CF000749-C140f2.8@f4.jpg