The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Default WB for IQ3100: C1 vs LR

dchew

This is more of a curiosity question than a concern. I certainly understand in RAW WB is just an import setting that we always adjust either to our liking or to some WB reference.

However, it seems LR has a strange "As Shot" setting associated with the IQ3100, at least when using "Daylight" WB on the back. My default is to use "Daylight" instead of "Auto" when outside because as a default, I don't want to neutralize/eliminate warm tones during the magic hour or blue tones during the blue hour. On import to either C1 or LR, I prefer to see a standard "As Shot" starting point, like Daylight, vs a camera-induced attempt at WB to a neutral color.

I've noticed LR's odd default for "As Shot" ever since LR added the ability to read IQ3100 files. I recently posted this image in the Technical Camera thread, which believe it or not is "As Shot" in C1 (DB set to "Daylight" as usual for me):

There is a reason we call it the Blue Hour...

Anyway, I am kind of agnostic when it comes to C1vsLR, so I often try an image in both. While deciding how to process the file in both C1 and LR, I began to wonder more about the default setting in LR, so I did some investigating. This morning I shot a WhiBal card in the driveway, 10:40am light with what I would call mixed sun/shade:

Here are the readings I get in C1 and LR:

With the back WB set to "Daylight", the "As Shot" values are of course always the same in both C1 and LR. C1 is very close to the "Daylight" setting, while LR is way off. White balancing on the Whibal card increases both C1 and LR settings of Temp and Tint, and both are reasonably close to their "Daylight" settings.

I then went back to some older images and checked the IQ180 defaults. With the back set at "Daylight", LR would always apply Temp/Tint values of 5250/11 to "As Shot", with "Daylight" being the same 5500/10 (as normal for all cameras in LR). The point is, the IQ180 "As Shot" import values were much closer to "Daylight" in LR than they are for the IQ3100.

Again, I know this doesn't really affect what I can do with the image, but it just seems odd and a little annoying that LR assigns such a different WB setting to the "As Shot" image vs. "Daylight" when the back is set to "Daylight".

Dave