The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format-Changed Everything.

Godfrey

I had a Pentax 645 and a couple of nice Pentax-A series lenses for it. It was a very nice camera, but I never really liked the AF version. Long gone now.

I'll stick to Hasselblad at this point. Both film and digital.

EVFs don't bother me at all, particularly any of the recent ones. The ones in my Leica SL and CL, the Olympus E-M1, and the Hasselblad X1D work nicely, never mind others I haven't used. They're a far sight better than the ones that were fitted to my pre-2006 Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus digital cameras and, in some ways, superior to nearly all reflex viewfinders. :)

G

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, Tom (tsjanik) is using the 50R with a 645Z. Tom, perhaps you can chime in here. Personally, I have not liked any EVFs I have seen, although I find the LCDs on the back of the cameras very useful. (My walk around camera is the Fuji X Pro2.)
Oh sorry I must have mixed up things! :facesmack: I hope Tom will read this. Just would like an opinion of someone who used both camera's.

tsjanik

Oh sorry I must have mixed up things! :facesmack: I hope Tom will read this. Just would like an opinion of someone who used both camera's.
Hi Michiel:

You and I both love the 645Z and the 28-45, but unlike in the past, Pentax’s new lenses are now big and heavy. Some background: I attended a print workshop with Charles Cramer in November. He had been using a Z, but recently got a 50s body. He was still using his Pentax lenses (80-160 a favorite) and was quite excited about using an adapter for the Fuji that allows tilt. Not long after the workshop, I went for a long hike in Arches National Park with the Z and 28-45mm -specifically the Fiery Furnace, which requires some gymnastics to negotiate- and the thought of a lightweight equivalent to the 7+ lb camera and lens hanging around my neck seemed very attractive. I was also interested in using the Fuji’s electronic shutter with long Pentax lenses where the shutter shake of the Pentax is problematic. I considered renting a Fuji, but I knew I needed a long period to adjust to and evaluate a camera, so when Fuji had various discounts, I got the 50r and the 32-64mm. It is considerably lighter and more compact than the Z/28-45 (1975g vs. 3271g). The Fuji lens is marginally sharper than the Pentax; however, Fuji lens corrections are baked into the file and so I wonder if it is inherently sharper or a result of some computational enhancement. The 23mm is also lighter and more compact than the discontinued Pentax 25mm. Fuji longer lenses tend to be heavy and large, e.g., the 50s and 250mm is only 10g lighter than the Z with a 300mm f/4, despite the lighter body.
I don’t care for the EVF at all, lots of reasons, mostly personal preference, but certainly not the lovely view through the Pentax. I don’t like the ergonomics of the Fuji, perhaps that is a question of experience, but the Pentax seems designed by camera users and the Fuji less so. One example: the Q button is located on the thumb rest and protrudes, I often accidentally press the button as I bring the camera to my eye and then, instead of seeing the scene, I see a menu where most of the items involve jpegs!
The Fuji is light, sharp and the EFSC is invaluable for long lenses, but it lacks much of what makes the Pentax such a user camera. I did add an L bracket with an enhanced grip- highly recommended, but still not like the Pentax grip. You may find the Fuji perfect for your long walks, but you may also not be willing to give up the 645Z

Tom

Photo of size comparison had been previously posted. L to R; 67II w/55-100; 645Z w/28-45; 50r w/32-64 and K-1 w/28-105

Attachments

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel:

You and I both love the 645Z and the 28-45, but unlike in the past, Pentax’s new lenses are now big and heavy. Some background: I attended a print workshop with Charles Cramer in November. He had been using a Z, but recently got a 50s body. He was still using his Pentax lenses (80-160 a favorite) and was quite excited about using an adapter for the Fuji that allows tilt. Not long after the workshop, I went for a long hike in Arches National Park with the Z and 28-45mm -specifically the Fiery Furnace, which requires some gymnastics to negotiate- and the thought of a lightweight equivalent to the 7+ lb camera and lens hanging around my neck seemed very attractive. I was also interested in using the Fuji’s electronic shutter with long Pentax lenses where the shutter shake of the Pentax is problematic. I considered renting a Fuji, but I knew I needed a long period to adjust to and evaluate a camera, so when Fuji had various discounts, I got the 50r and the 32-64mm. It is considerably lighter and more compact than the Z/28-45 (1975g vs. 3271g). The Fuji lens is marginally sharper than the Pentax; however, Fuji lens corrections are baked into the file and so I wonder if it is inherently sharper or a result of some computational enhancement. The 23mm is also lighter and more compact than the discontinued Pentax 25mm. Fuji longer lenses tend to be heavy and large, e.g., the 50s and 250mm is only 10g lighter than the Z with a 300mm f/4, despite the lighter body.
I don’t care for the EVF at all, lots of reasons, mostly personal preference, but certainly not the lovely view through the Pentax. I don’t like the ergonomics of the Fuji, perhaps that is a question of experience, but the Pentax seems designed by camera users and the Fuji less so. One example: the Q button is located on the thumb rest and protrudes, I often accidentally press the button as I bring the camera to my eye and then, instead of seeing the scene, I see a menu where most of the items involve jpegs!
The Fuji is light, sharp and the EFSC is invaluable for long lenses, but it lacks much of what makes the Pentax such a user camera. I did add an L bracket with an enhanced grip- highly recommended, but still not like the Pentax grip. You may find the Fuji perfect for your long walks, but you may also not be willing to give up the 645Z

Tom

Photo of size comparison had been previously posted. L to R; 67II w/55-100; 645Z w/28-45; 50r w/32-64 and K-1 w/28-105
Thanks a lot for this post Tom! Very informative, exactly what I wanted to know.
Except the 50r you have the exact camera set up as I have! We must like some things in common! Only I have the Pentax 67 not the II. Could by the body almost like new for little money.
Didn't shoot with it much though.
After this I will probablyy not give up the 645Z. It is such a great workhorse.
Also I like it that the 28-45 is a bit wider then the 32-64 because I always find myself more working on the wider side especially in the narrow street of Northern France. May be I buy a 50R and the 23 and 32-64 but then I have to bring two camera bags on my road trips..... Would love to put a shift adapter between the pentax A35 on the Fuji!
I really miss that wider reach with my adapted Mamiya shift 50/4, which I use quiet a lot. BTW I also use that 67 55-110 a lot on the Z. Wonderfull lens. But heavy....
Well you see decisions decisions .....

Godfrey

I think what gets me with all of these cameras and lenses is how bulky those lenses are.
I'm much more a prime lens guy. I'll take one or two primes and eschew the flexibility of a zoom every time. :)

G

Michiel Schierbeek

I think what gets me with all of these cameras and lenses is how bulky those lenses are.
I'm much more a prime lens guy. I'll take one or two primes and eschew the flexibility of a zoom every time. :)

G
I prefer the fluïdity of zooming instead of changing lenses, despite the weight.

PeterA

Interesting thread topic.

I've come back into MF because I need to print large - can't see any other reason for having a MF digital kit than that. I've also pretty much exited 35mm digital format - as apc with Fuji and Leica gives me everything I want in terms of light weight and excellent IQ for smaller prints and general happy snaps. It is pretty much expected that anyone who has a genuine love or interest in photography will buy and try all sorts of gear over the years - so not surprising to see people post so many experiences. My favourite film cameras were the XPan and mamiya711 kits I used to use - never tried a Widelux - and I think that is about my only regret regarding film shooting days - which I have not much interest in returning to again.

I never once imagined that I would be able to shoot with 100MP or that apc would ever replace 35mm or that I would lose pretty much all interest in post processing - lots of surprises for all of us I'm sure in the journey.

Godfrey

I've come back into MF because I need to print large - can't see any other reason for having a MF digital kit than that. ...
My 'other reason' for getting into medium format digital is Depth of Field control with wide to ultra-wide lenses. Even FF doesn't net the DoF control with a 15mm lens that a 33x44 sensor has with a 21mm lens. It's the one factor that's been missing with my 'ultra-wide squares' meme compared to the Hasselblad SWC.

For me, the SWC's 56x56 format with a 38mm f/4.5 lens nets a reasonable range of DoF control. The X1D/CFV50cII cropped square to 33x33 format nets a crop factor (DoF multiplier) similar to the relationship between FourThirds/APS-C to FF, so the XCD21mm f/4 lens will net DoF control of about 1.5 to 2 stops less than the SWC. It's far more DoF control than similar FoV 10mm on APS-C and 15mm on FF have.

Note that I'm not looking for ultra shallow DoF like you'd get with f/1.4 speed and faster 21 to 85 mm lenses on FF... Just enough to allow the gentle background roll off that the SWC produces at f/5.6 to f/8. It's a subtle nuance that isn't possible with this FoV other than by increasing the format size. The larger sensor's double the pixels with 4x the area also improves tonal gradation ... :)

Never mind that I find the 'little box with a lens' form factor and ergonomics of the SWC and 907x+CFV50cII very appealing anyways... :D

G

tsjanik

.................. May be I buy a 50R and the 23 and 32-64 but then I have to bring two camera bags on my road trips..... Would love to put a shift adapter between the pentax A35 on the Fuji!
...................Well you see decisions decisions .....
Indeed Michiel. I got a 50r to simplify and lighten my system, instead I have two.