The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D e shutter for very long exposures

retcheto

Has anyone had any issues with the electronic shutter on non native lenses with the X1D when doing very long exposures? (Ie minutes long exposures)

retcheto

Yes I'm looking at using some large format Rodenstock and Schneider lenses in a tech camera set up and want to see what kind of long exposure issues I'll have with the electronic shutter.

drevil

Staff member
My guess is that you will not run into any other issues you would have with native lenses when using ES

tcdeveau

I think there’s a thread in here somewhere discussing the use of ES with long exposures as well as showing some examples. I know that’s not terribly helpful but if you search around you should be able to find it.

Hausen

I have been using a Pentax P67 200/4 via a Kipon adaptor for exposures of 3-6 mins with no problem. Works really well actually, I only shoot LE on my X1D. Can't believe how well the P67 lenses resolve on X1D so I have bought the Pentax 75 shift to try it out.

retcheto

I have been using a Pentax P67 200/4 via a Kipon adaptor for exposures of 3-6 mins with no problem. Works really well actually, I only shoot LE on my X1D. Can't believe how well the P67 lenses resolve on X1D so I have bought the Pentax 75 shift to try it out.
Thanks Hausen, I haven't seen anything that indicates it wouldn't work but just wanted to make sure before I start doling out cash! Good to hear it's working well for you, those are my typical exposure times as well

Hausen

Thanks Hausen, I haven't seen anything that indicates it wouldn't work but just wanted to make sure before I start doling out cash! Good to hear it's working well for you, those are my typical exposure times as well
An add on to what I said above, just got a new Fotodiox P67-XCD adaptor to replace the Kipon because it has a tripod foot, what a difference that makes. Way more stable and I don't have to carry the heavy Manfrotto lens support.

MomentsForZen

I have produced many star trail photographs with the X1D and non-native lenses - Hasselblad V-series lenses. These have involved use of the electronic shutter and a full hour of exposure. I haven't had any problems at all.

... MomentsForZen (Richard)

retcheto

By the way, I've been using the electronic shutter for a few weeks now for long exposures with no problem. I'm really loving the X1D