The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S on digital

retcheto

Anyone out there using any Apo-Sironar-S lenses on digital? Someone here mentioned they've been happy with the 135mm. I'm looking at a 180mm and just curious if it holds up well on a digital sensor.

My other lenses are Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital and I love those, but I'm having trouble finding a 180mm. The Sironar-S seem much easier to find.

Any advice is much appreciated

Duff photographer

Anyone out there using any Apo-Sironar-S lenses on digital? ... Any advice is much appreciated
The first batch of digital lenses (Apo-Sironar-Digital) from Rodenstock were effectively rebadged Apo-Sironar-S lenses. Those digital lenses were said by Rodenstock (in one of their brochures) to be good for digital backs with a 9 micrometer pixel pitch, the newer lenses (HR's) good for sensors with a 5 micrometer pixel pitch.

In my experience using 100mm Apo-Sironar-N, 150mm Apo-Sironar-S, 150mm Schneider Apo-Symmar, and 180m Schneider Apo-Symmar, all were more than good enough for 9 micrometers while I was still seeing an improvement using 6 micrometer pixel pitch sensor I was temporarily playing with, and I suspect both 150mm's were out-performing the 6 micrometer sensor. While not having used the 180mm A-Sironar-S I would be surprised if it didn't have similar resolution or better, although it should be said that, generally speaking, the shorter the focal length among these particular lenses the better the resolution (according to MTF graphs), but not by much.

You also have the added beneifit of the greater room for stitching (where feasible) in the longer focal lengths with their greater image circle, resulting images from which would blow away anything a 100mp sensor can achieve with the most modern of digital lenses with their limited image circle (assuming you have a digital back of reasonable resolution).

At some stage I will go through my LF lenses and compare them with equivalent lenses in 35mm, just for funsies.

Cheers,
Duff.