The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have feedback on RRS TFC-34 Fixed Apex?

Junk Bond

Looking at the TFC-34. The RRS website is missing overall diameter and weight information. How would this setup work with the BH-40 head?

Frankly

Looking at the TFC-34. The RRS website is missing overall diameter and weight information. How would this setup work with the BH-40 head?
To further muddy the waters please realize that the fixed apex version was (probably first) designed as a tripod for precision rifle shooters (which I am) who don't need columns, leveling bases or ballheads as a photographer might. Instead they are marketing a newly designed head for firearms that is lighter and simpler than a photo head. It all works very nicely and like photographers, a PRS or hunter wants a light but sturdy tripod.

You can save a little weight and bulk with the fixed apex heads and now I see where you're coming from using the BH40 with the 34L legs but you'd have to try it and see. Probably only a handful of photographers are using it that way.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of new ideas and products once RRS is settled in with their move. It's time to rethink how to lighten up tripods even further and I bet we'll see some lighter heads and more versions of the fixed apex design. So if you wait a year or so I bet there will be some pretty slick new ideas.

Last edited:

Junk Bond

Thanks! That is why I was looking at that specific combination. The 34 with a fixed apex would pack down pretty well but still has a max height of 58.5". The narrower apex would lead me to believe a BH-40 would fit nicely, but without the actual dimensions it's hard to tell.