The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS and the QD swivel

vjbelle

I tried several strap/wrist combinations on my Fuji GFX and disliked all of them because they got in the way when the camera was on a tripod. I was originally using an Arca Swiss L plate but decided to buy the RRS plate. I've kind of gotten away from RRS because of price and other product availability. I wasn't even aware of RRS incorporating the QD mount into the bracket but once I discovered it I just had to try it. I bought a couple of swivels on Amazon and attached them to my Upstrap non-slip strap. This works like a dream and completely disengages from the plate with the push of a button/s. Same applies for my wrist strap. I get to carry my camera around easily and once its on a tripod the straps are completely and easily gone. No more short strap ends hanging around to always get in the way. I can't tell if the RRS plate for the X1D also has this feature as the images on the RRS site don't show enough detail. If any of you are unaware of this feature (as I was) then for sure look into it.

Victor

SrMphoto

I am also a big admirer of the QD mount system (use it from m43 to MF cameras). AFAIK, all newer RRS plates have one or more QD slots. Do not like the straps with builtin QQ swivels though, too heavy and bulky IMO. After all, the QD system was designed for carrying heavy weapons.
If you still have the original Black Rapid strap, you can weave the swivel into the strap. Otherwise, I recommend the angled QD swivel. In case of Black Rapid slings, it replaces the screw-in component.

vjbelle

yes.... all of what you say is true. Its such a convenient way to get rid of any kind of strap and ends when placing a camera onto a tripod which was the reason for my posting. All of this could be more elegant but it would require a new swivel which I don't think is necessary. As for the Black Rapid I have no experience but are you happy with their design?

Victor

SrMphoto

yes.... all of what you say is true. Its such a convenient way to get rid of any kind of strap and ends when placing a camera onto a tripod which was the reason for my posting. All of this could be more elegant but it would require a new swivel which I don't think is necessary. As for the Black Rapid I have no experience but are you happy with their design?

Victor
Yes, I am happy with Black Rapid products, except for the screw-in piece. BR has many different sizes and kinds of straps. Wish they would sell products with integrated QD swivel.

Frankly

Best to stick with quality Magpul QD swivels rather than the cheapest kinds, there is variability and if you've ever dropped a slung AR-15 you'll understand why it's worth a few bucks more to get the good ones.

SrMphoto

Best to stick with quality Magpul QD swivels rather than the cheapest kinds, there is variability and if you've ever dropped a slung AR-15 you'll understand why it's worth a few bucks more to get the good ones.
Good point. I am not familiar with weapons accessory manufacturers except Magpul, but they do not make angled ones so I purchased a GG&G swivel (GGG-1419).

vjbelle

So far what I have gotten from Amazon is more than likely the real deal as far as quality. But.... its difficult to find a 'D' swivel which really lends itself to certain attachments like a wrist strap or the Black Rapid strap or anything with a single attach point. RRS is the only supplier that I can find and I purchased one of the RRS 'D' swivels from B&H. I have a Black Rapid strap coming on Monday and if I like it then I'll get another 'D' swivel from B&H. I like that I was able to find a 1 inch swivel on Amazon vs. the standard 1.25 swivels. The smaller width lends itself more to my needs.

Victor

Frankly

This is the company that invented the QD and they make high quality ones. Perhaps they even make the Magpul ones, I don't know.

https://grovtec.com/collections/swivels?page=2

This model might work well with smaller straps: https://grovtec.com/collections/swi...utton-swivels-manganese-phosphate-angled-loop

However it is sold out. Two of the largest gun parts companies are https://www.brownells.com and https://www.midwayusa.com where you may find some in stock or other options.

Apologies if I've triggered anyone, lol.

Paul2660

I tried several strap/wrist combinations on my Fuji GFX and disliked all of them because they got in the way when the camera was on a tripod. I was originally using an Arca Swiss L plate but decided to buy the RRS plate. I've kind of gotten away from RRS because of price and other product availability. I wasn't even aware of RRS incorporating the QD mount into the bracket but once I discovered it I just had to try it. I bought a couple of swivels on Amazon and attached them to my Upstrap non-slip strap. This works like a dream and completely disengages from the plate with the push of a button/s. Same applies for my wrist strap. I get to carry my camera around easily and once its on a tripod the straps are completely and easily gone. No more short strap ends hanging around to always get in the way. I can't tell if the RRS plate for the X1D also has this feature as the images on the RRS site don't show enough detail. If any of you are unaware of this feature (as I was) then for sure look into it.

Victor
Thanks for this post. I had not looked at the RRS solutions in several years.

With the addition of the Magpul adapter hole and their strap it’s a great combination.

Once you gain trust on just one attachment point.

Paul C

vjbelle

Paul..... I also discovered a cross body single point strap made by Blackrapid that is, to me, a perfect fit for the QD swivel. The strap is extremely comfortable and very well thought out. I ordered it based on reviews and didn't get overly excited until I used their adjustable strap stop which always puts the shoulder pad in the same position. It's a strap I've grown to really like. I thought the strap offered by RRS was a little bulky and industrial - more a fit for large rifles. If you have any concerns about safety there are short tether straps available.

Victor