The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XV Adapter

sog1927

Got an email from Hasselblad this morning stating that the XV adapter is now available:

https://store.hasselblad.com/products/xv-lens-adapter?from=accessories

Was really hoping it was an email about the yet-to-be-released XCD lenses but the XV adapter may interest some of you nonetheless
-Todd
I've been using the Fotodiox adapter since it came out. The XV doesn't seem to offer any advantages (unless its presence persuades Phocus to let you get to the digital correction data for the V lenses). If it could trigger the shutter in a CF lens, I'd have already ordered one.

Being an eternal optimist, I have to wonder, "Can a cable release be far behind?"

jng

It certainly looks sleek enough, although conspicuously missing is an integrated tripod foot. I wonder whether the tripod collar made by Hasselblad or ppl.de to fit the XH adapter would fit on the XV adapter as well. I, too, have been using the XV Fotodiox adapter. It works fine although the tripod foot is IMHO a weak point (the foot is attached to the adapter by two small screws), flexing quite a bit especially with the telephotos which hang a lot of mass out front. The photo below shows my DIY solution, which works pretty well to stabilize the set-up when using my 100 CF and marginally so with the 250SA, but doesn't address the structural integrity issue.

IMG_7641.jpg

And if anyone is wondering, yes the wine did help in the design and fabrication of this little work-around. :p

John

PedroL

I've been using the Fotodiox adapter since it came out. The XV doesn't seem to offer any advantages (unless its presence persuades Phocus to let you get to the digital correction data for the V lenses). If it could trigger the shutter in a CF lens, I'd have already ordered one.

Being an eternal optimist, I have to wonder, "Can a cable release be far behind?"
Being an eternal optimist, I have to wonder, "Can a cable release be far behind?

You just might be right, it is behind, just now one knows how far. It was suppose to be in December 2017 upgrade. I, as a Hasselblad dealer am pretty desperate for it. Since X1D release, I have lost quite a few sales because it is not able to connect with VR Drive from Seitz. Finally, I had to go to Fujifilm to use GFX and it works like charm and is build like a tank. Fujifilm worked with Seitz helping to connect VR drive via USB and next month we should have a fully automated stitching of multiple panorama sets as my programer working diligently on it.​

tcdeveau

In consideration that one can actually find a used X1D body for cheaper than a used CFV50c back these days, I am starting to think that the X platform and adapters will be Hasselblad's answer to those who want to use V system lenses. I would not blame them, the utility of the CFV backs are not as dynamic a use case as is the X1D is.

I am starling to think that the CFV50c is indeed what I thought it was when I bought it, the last of it's kind........
You might be right but it's hard to say. I went to a X1D/H6D HB event back in June or so and most of the attendees there were actually V-system users asking about a new V-system back, so I think there's still interest there, regardless of the utility factor. HB has said they haven't abandoned the CFV line so we'll see what happens.

sog1927

In consideration that one can actually find a used X1D body for cheaper than a used CFV50c back these days, I am starting to think that the X platform and adapters will be Hasselblad's answer to those who want to use V system lenses.
Then it should have been a better adapter (more akin to the H-series V adapter) and should have been accompanied by a Phocus modification that allows you to get to the digital corrections for the V lenses.

richardman

In consideration that one can actually find a used X1D body for cheaper than a used CFV50c back these days, I am starting to think that the X platform and adapters will be Hasselblad's answer to those who want to use V system lenses. I would not blame them, the utility of the CFV backs are not as dynamic a use case as is the X1D is.

I am starling to think that the CFV50c is indeed what I thought it was when I bought it, the last of it's kind........
From what I understand, there are some limitation with the XV, e.g. slow shutter speed. So don't throw out your CFV-50c yet. Or at least send it to me if you don't want it. Ha.

sog1927

And maybe they will release one down the road?
And if they do, I'll buy it - but until then the XV offers essentially no advantages (other than possibly manufacturing quality) over the numerous other "dumb tube" adapters that have been available for several months (and which most of the target XV customers probably already have).

I did remove the essentially useless tripod foot from my Fotodiox adapter and have substituted an appropriately-sized tripod ring that I just happened to have lying around.

sog1927

From what I understand, there are some limitation with the XV, e.g. slow shutter speed. So don't throw out your CFV-50c yet. Or at least send it to me if you don't want it. Ha.
It's not really "slow shutter speed", it's slow scan speed on the Sony sensor (and therefore also the e-shutter). Since the XV is yet another dumb tube, you can't use the leaf shutter in C/CF/CFi/CFe lenses. Obviously this is not an issue for a CFV-50c on an actual V-body.

You can get shutter speeds down to 1/10,000 seconds with the e-shutter, but the scan time is still 0.3 seconds regardless, so you can get significant motion distortion even at high speeds.