The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic FF Mirrorless to be announced on September 25th

k-hawinkler

Interesting, bring it on. The more the merrier.
Hopefully Olympus and Panasonic don’t ignore better m4/3 cameras.
I already am pretty much stocked up on m4/3 lenses. :thumbs:

V

Vivek

I would love a FF mirrorless camera with a swivel LCD! Finally!

Great news!:thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Could not wait for a Olympus FF with Leica TL mount that would take my M glass and allow this to be combined with Olympus color science (that I love)

I am excited to see what may come ;)

k-hawinkler

Could not wait for a Olympus FF with Leica TL mount that would take my M glass and allow this to be combined with Olympus color science (that I love)

Well, M glass and no smearing in corners, thin sensor cover glass! :clap:

iiiNelson

I don’t know that Olympus would be apart of the FF offering or that I’d base Mirrorless purchases around using the M lenses you already have. As good as the M lenses are, somenof the newer modern glass is as good if not better in many cases. While it would make SOME sense to choose to go with the Leica TL Mount I don’t know hat it’s a foregone conclusion that they will do so. If so that would introduce some really affordable lens options (by Leica standards) if they maintain the full capability between lens manufacturers that Micro 4/3 never quite did (for instance DFD only working with Panasonic lens/body combo or Olympus lenses not working as well on Panasonic bodies).

I am interested on if they keep the 4:3 perspective natively or if they go to 3:2 and I’m interested in if they decide to go to an oversized sensor (like a 36x36mm one) that may be slightly larger than 35mm FF in order to preserve the same surface area of the sensor no matter the perspective.

The irony is that if I were looking into getting into a FF Mirrorless system for the first time then perhaps I’d wait until mid-late 2019 to do so...

Arne Hvaring

I think this is an ill adviced move (if true) from Panasonic. With the fierce competition now raging in high-end FF, what new can they bring to the table that is not already covered by the major players?
IMO they would be better of concentrating on improving m43. There is a lot to be done there, like a better sensor with better DR, higher resolution (30 mpx or there about) most of the current lenses can take that, better colour (I for one am struggling with skin colour from the G9, i.e. bringing it up to Olympus standards), implementing AI signal processing as we are seeing it in smartphones to mention a few.
Micro 4/3 is unique, they have no competition, but they have to keep on innovating to keep it alive and not waste resources on yet another FF camera and a range of FF lenses.
Unless, of course, they come up with something revolutionary that absolutely demands a FF sensor...

iiiNelson

I think this is an ill adviced move (if true) from Panasonic. With the fierce competition now raging in high-end FF, what new can they bring to the table that is not already covered by the major players?
IMO they would be better of concentrating on improving m43. There is a lot to be done there, like a better sensor with better DR, higher resolution (30 mpx or there about) most of the current lenses can take that, better colour (I for one am struggling with skin colour from the G9, i.e. bringing it up to Olympus standards), implementing AI signal processing as we are seeing it in smartphones to mention a few.
Micro 4/3 is unique, they have no competition, but they have to keep on innovating to keep it alive and not waste resources on yet another FF camera and a range of FF lenses.
Unless, of course, they come up with something revolutionary that absolutely demands a FF sensor...
Maybe Panasonic does something more videocentric that has stills capability like a true bridge between the GH like and the EVA line where there’s about a $5-6000 price gap in between. I don’t know how XDCAM’s are doing these days but perhaps this could supplant the market they once took and compete somewhat with pro system cameras as well. Just a thought though.

When you say you’re having trouble getting the colors right what do you mean? I realize this is subjective but I’ve always preferred Panasonic colors to olympus colors but maybe I’m missing something that people prefer in the Olympus color.

V

Vivek

Other than Sony, we now have Nikon (no big improvements there) and the ever expensive Leica.

Canon are likely to join in soon.

What “fierce” competition? Most likely, this will also use a Sony sensor.

I want choices. More the merrier.

Arne Hvaring

Maybe Panasonic does something more videocentric that has stills capability like a true bridge between the GH like and the EVA line where there’s about a $5-6000 price gap in between. I don’t know how XDCAM’s are doing these days but perhaps this could supplant the market they once took and compete somewhat with pro system cameras as well. Just a thought though.

When you say you’re having trouble getting the colors right what do you mean? I realize this is subjective but I’ve always preferred Panasonic colors to olympus colors but maybe I’m missing something that people prefer in the Olympus color.
Using C1, I get a reddish tint in skin tones from the G9. The Oly Pen-F seems to go much better with C1. Much the same with Photo Ninja where the cast is yellowish from the G9.

Arne Hvaring

Other than Sony, we now have Nikon (no big improvements there) and the ever expensive Leica.

All over the net we are seeing comparisons between the Z cameras and Sony. Soon the same will happen when Canon joins the party.
I hardly think Canon's entry in the mirrorless realm will be with a Sony sensor.
Agree with more choices, but I am somewhat doubtful if this is a wise decision by Panasonic.

ggibson

Makes sense to me. Smartphones and 1" sensors must be encroaching on m4/3 territory. Panasonic and Olympus make great cameras and lenses, but physical limits of a smaller sensor put them at a IQ disadvantage in many ways. FF mirrorless can offer huge image quality gains, and the size can still be kept small (many great small primes for Sony). I'm guessing the demand for FF video is big too. I'm pretty invested in Sony at the moment, but I think Panasonic does much better with ergonomics so this announcement is exciting, even though it'll probably take a while for a competitive lens lineup to appear.

iiiNelson

I was thinking this would actually use the rumored 48mp TowerJazz sensor like which was speculated with the D850.

iiiNelson

All over the net we are seeing comparisons between the Z cameras and Sony. Soon the same will happen when Canon joins the party.
I hardly think Canon's entry in the mirrorless realm will be with a Sony sensor.
Agree with more choices, but I am somewhat doubtful if this is a wise decision by Panasonic.
Do you believe the issue may be more with the basic camera profile being used by C1? Could you create a custom one in C1?

iiiNelson

Makes sense to me. Smartphones and 1" sensors must be encroaching on m4/3 territory. Panasonic and Olympus make great cameras and lenses, but physical limits of a smaller sensor put them at a IQ disadvantage in many ways. FF mirrorless can offer huge image quality gains, and the size can still be kept small (many great small primes for Sony). I'm guessing the demand for FF video is big too. I'm pretty invested in Sony at the moment, but I think Panasonic does much better with ergonomics so this announcement is exciting, even though it'll probably take a while for a competitive lens lineup to appear.
I agree though I believe the GH line is really doing well for Panasonic as well to the effect that maybe they could reduce volume on the number of entry level models to save money in development costs. I agree that there’s room in the FF Mirrorless because I thinknin 5-10 years time DSLR’s will go the way of film cameras - still produced but for specific niches (i.e. sports and wildlife photographers heavily invested in long lenses that refuse to adapt lenses or can’t dye to performance.)

Arne Hvaring

Do you believe the issue may be more with the basic camera profile being used by C1? Could you create a custom one in C1?
Yes, possibly. The G9 is new, Oly Pen-F has been on the market a while and C1 has a history of frequent updates so a better profile for the G9 could well be implemented in the future. Great camera otherwise btw.

V

Vivek

Arne, Tre read what I meant correctly. I meant to say that the rumored Panasonic also might use a Sony sensor.

Yes, as always Canon will use thier own senors.

It would be something if a Towerjazz sensor would be employed in a Panasonic.

iiiNelson

Arne, Tre read what I meant correctly. I meant to say that the rumored Panasonic also might use a Sony sensor.

Yes, as always Canon will use thier own senors.

It would be something if a Towerjazz sensor would be employed in a Panasonic.
Yeah maybe they could get a bigger ROI on their financial contributions to them. :ROTFL: