The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

iiiNelson

Even with the 1.4x TC on, detail is impeccable.

100% crop

| gfx 50s | gf 250/4.0 | 1.4x tc | iso 160 | 1/250 s | f/5.6 |

But at a combined 3065 grams you hardly can't call it a light-weight kit: luckily there's OIS ...
No it’s not lightweight at around 6.5 pounds or so but it’s probably pretty close in size/weight to a gripped pro-Mirrorless camera with a 70-200/2.8 attached. So not unwieldy either.

Last edited:

Thorkil

Maybe it’s just me but about the only things the GFX line and the Z7 have in common is the resolution.

The Z7 would likely be “better” in more varied situations with more unpredictable conditions comparatively (especially if one has an extensive Nikon F collection). I think the obvious areas where the GFX would potentially outshine the Z7 is in landscape and portraits with having a larger sensor to give more natural tonality/the lenses across the board to match the sensor. Nikon simply doesn’t have the lens range yet but is set to within the next 2 years or so. I don’t really see them as an either/or decision but rather a GFX and a (insert camera of choice here) decision. For more consistent color a Fuji X makes a lot of sense (I explored this option for myself) but pretty much anything would work in reality. For a lot of reasons if you can only have or only want a single system FF 35mm makes a lot of sense (and paired with a Micro 4/3 for happy snaps/travel makes sense). For pros or people with specific needs a Fuji X and Fuji G makes a ton of sense.
:)....yes the Z7 would absolute be the the most sensible solution, and I have looked forward to fulfill this dream of a solid "familiar" decision.
But I have used the Hasselblad SWC for several years, several years ago, and its the only old topgear camera I still have and will keep forever.
So, my thoughts are not rational, but very subjective and has a lot with feelings to do.
So my second and alternative road could be to fulfill a digital SWC dream. A 50R have given me an economic possibility to consider this fulfillment.
But then how about a Z7? Yes that would the question then. Perhaps place a wonderful handfriendly mirrorless dream-Nikon at stand by...and let my FX-lenses still be used on the Df.
And keep the X-T2 (or later a X-T3) as the handy mirrorless
Buying both would be rather expensive....
Tomorrow the thoughts might be slight different, or not, time will tell...

iiiNelson

Aside from body style, in which way is the GFX 50R different from the 50S? :facesmack:
Same sensor but IMO it seems to be more limited in tactile use comparatively. I know some are caught up on the size and aesthetics but the 50S really isn’t all that big of a camera... and it’s even more apparent when you consider sensor size. It’s very comparable in size to a 5D and a little smaller than a D850.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was sure they will NOT go FF - does also not make much sense IMHO. They rather concentrate on APSC and MFD.

Anyway I am hard pressed with the introduction of the new X-T3 and its still as well as video qualities not to get back into Fuji X again. Maybe as soon as they introduce the X-H2 (X-T3 with IBIS and X-H1 form factor) I could be intrigued to switch back again - instead of any FF mirrorless from Sony, Panasonic, Nikon or Canon.

Time will tell .

iiiNelson

I was sure they will NOT go FF - does also not make much sense IMHO. They rather concentrate on APSC and MFD.

Anyway I am hard pressed with the introduction of the new X-T3 and its still as well as video qualities not to get back into Fuji X again. Maybe as soon as they introduce the X-H2 (X-T3 with IBIS and X-H1 form factor) I could be intrigued to switch back again - instead of any FF mirrorless from Sony, Panasonic, Nikon or Canon.

Time will tell .
Yeah I think they constantly reiterate not going into FF because many of their users keep asking for it. I agree that there’s little need for Fuji to go FF because their APS-C is good enough for most things and the GFX line handles what the APS-C Cameras can’t quite do as well. It’s a really good balance IMO and possibly the best one for professionals going forward as smartphone cameras continue to improve. I think believe FF is the best singular “compromise” but it is still considered a smaller format (while being very capable for pretty much everything still).

Im sure going forward medium format will continue to go down in price and we may be 2-3 years from realistically being able to buy a new last generation MF camera in the $3000 range. As they add compact slower Fuji G lenses it may be where many of us go for our “personal/professional” project camera if we can get a camera body and 2 or 3 lenses for about $5000 or so.

Knorp

Base of the new radar tower in the Port of Rotterdam (Maasvlakte 2 seawall) ...

| gfx 50s | gf 32-64/4.0 |

PeterA

GFX50S|110/2|

New arrivals : XT3 + 110/2
The 110/2 is very easy to focus, eye focus works well - and is razor sharp even wide open...

also loving the XT-3 btw beautifully easy to shoot manual focus with only Leica lenses mounted atm ( Fuji Laica M adaptor ) - waitng for the 16|1.4 and 23/2 and 50/1.2 to arrive...

early stages as yet - but I think C1 might be doing a better job of processing GFX files at the margin over LR - very hard for me to switch out of LR/PS after so many years - also some finctionality in LR is so much easier than C1 eg cropping/levelinhg horisons...basic stuff. A pity there is so much informatiom lost in posting on line =- compresion has taken all texture and detail out of shadow areas in above snap.

Thorkil

Bart, I guess you have had considerations between waiting for the 50R, compared to the 50S,and we know the result of these speculation :)
But let me ask for your inner considerations?
KR

Thorkil

..well, answering my question to Bart, myself (sorry Bart), I can't help sharing this wonderful review that is talking directly into (my at least) the mind, what a lovely and pleasant way of reviewing a camera...
And for NOW (and perhaps the next couple of days (hopefully for weeks, months...as one have to wait until springtime) I'm totally ON a GFX 50R together with just a 23mm (but a Z is still in the viewfinder if only the money were..) - sit back (its long) and take a look, if you ever are considering going the GFX 50S or R way...
This will certainly be for you..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=177&v=G5BlVQueaGc

Last edited:

Knorp

Bart, I guess you have had considerations between waiting for the 50R, compared to the 50S,and we know the result of these speculation :)
But let me ask for your inner considerations?
KR
Quite simply: I'm not interested in a "rangefinder" look-alike that is missing a proper grip, like the 50S.
IMO the 50R is best teamed with the more compact GF lenses like the 45/2.8, 63/2.8 (as your man in the video) and the coming 50/3.5

k-hawinkler

Quite simply: I'm not interested in a "rangefinder" look-alike that is missing a proper grip, like the 50S.
IMO the 50R is best teamed with the more compact GF lenses like the 45/2.8, 63/2.8 (as your man in the video) and the coming 50/3.5
:thumbup: :clap: :watch: :LOL:

Thorkil

Thanks, that is clear talk, Bart.
I was also considering a 50S right now, while the tiltable viewfinder, the grip also, that will suit my aims for city-shape-shooting.
But viewing the above review and looking at the review of Jonas Rask I'm tilting towards the R,
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/25/fujifilm-gfx-50r-review-digital-medium-format-heritage/
while I would like to do that way of casual shooting too...
we will see what time brings..
KR

iiiNelson

I was also considering a 50S right now, while the tiltable viewfinder, the grip also, that will suit my aims for city-shape-shooting.
But viewing the above review and looking at the review of Jonas Rask I'm tilting towards the R,
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/25/fujifilm-gfx-50r-review-digital-medium-format-heritage/
KR
Maybe it’s just me but it’s really comes down to a decision of form vs. function. I’ve tested the 50S on 4 separate occasions now (when going back and forth on the decision to purchase) and if I bought into the GFX that’s the way I’d clearly go but I’d view it as a potential “workhorse” camera for pretty much everything where size and large aperture lenses weren’t necessary.obviously I haven’t handled the 50R (yet) but I plan on it at some point. Functional decisions were made though in what to cut from the camera when designing the 50R which makes it less attractive for me but they may not be deal breakers for you.

The IQ will be the exact same on either but the function of the 50S is likely deeper. The form of the 50R is smaller (but not THAT small when compared to many other system cameras). If you just plan to use the camera with a few select primes then you’ll likely be happy with the 50R... if you aren’t sure then The 50S might be a better choice.

Knorp

Maybe it’s just me but it’s really comes down to a decision of form vs. function. I’ve tested the 50S on 4 separate occasions now (when going back and forth on the decision to purchase) and if I bought into the GFX that’s the way I’d clearly go but I’d view it as a potential “workhorse” camera for pretty much everything where size and large aperture lenses weren’t necessary.obviously I haven’t handled the 50R (yet) but I plan on it at some point. Functional decisions were made though in what to cut from the camera when designing the 50R which makes it less attractive for me but they may not be deal breakers for you.

The IQ will be the exact same on either but the function of the 50S is likely deeper. The form of the 50R is smaller (but not THAT small when compared to many other system cameras). If you just plan to use the camera with a few select primes then you’ll likely be happy with the 50R... if you aren’t sure then The 50S might be a better choice.
Can't agree more: but for 'easy going' the 50R is your camera.
Ow - and the 50R has proper lugs for your strap of choice ... :lecture:

Knorp

KR
Hi Thorkil,

after walking around for a couple of hours with each of my three GF lenses and can tell you I'm glad to have the 50S' grip.
The lightest is still 845g and the heaviest is 1425g.

The 63/2.8 at 405g is doing fine and the coming 50/3.5 will do even better.

Brgds