The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

bensonga

I understand your dilemma now Peter. For a m43 camera with better EVF, perhaps you could take a second look at the Pana G9. It’s an excellent camera and a real bargain now. There is currently a $500 rebate on it in the United States so the cost is only $1200.

Gary

bensonga

Here is one more thing I like about the design of the EM1X versus every other m43rds camera I own. Whenever possible I have a battery grip attached to my cameras. With all my other m43rds cameras when a grip is attached one battery is in the camera body and the second battery is in the grip. So if I need to change both batteries I have to remove the grip to replace the battery in the body. I had to do that today with my Pana G9. That is obviously not the case with the EM1X. Pulling out the single battery tray with 2 batteries in the EM1X is an excellent design and very easy to do.

I imagine that any pro photographers using the EM1X will appreciate being able to quickly swap 2 batteries without removing a grip first.

Fuji did something similar with the battery grip for the XT3...although it is even better than the EM1X because the XT3 grip contains 2 batteries and the XT3 body still holds the original battery (3 in total)! :thumbs:

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here is one more thing I like about the design of the EM1X versus every other m43rds camera I own. Whenever possible I have a battery grip attached to my cameras. With all my other m43rds cameras when a grip is attached one battery is in the camera body and the second battery is in the grip. So if I need to change both batteries I have to remove the grip to get to the first battery. I had to do that today with my Pana G9. That is obviously not the case with the EM1X. Pulling out the single battery tray with 2 batteries in the EM1X is an excellent design.

I can imagine that any pro photographers using the EM1X will appreciate being able to quickly swap 2 batteries without removing a grip first.

Fuji did something similar with the battery grip for the XT3...although it is even better than the EM1X because the XT3 grip contains 2 batteries and the XT3 body still holds the original battery (3 in total)! :thumbs:

Gary
WRT the EM1X you are completely right - 2 batteries in the grip body only (especially these 2 high capacity batteries that come since the EM1.2) are a big advantage.

WRT Fuji and the X-T3 for me this is till (and always was) a no go solution and one of the reasons I sold all my Fuji gear - the batteries Fuji uses are far to small (low capacity) and Fuji should have increased the size (capacity) already when the X-H1 was introduced. This 3 battery philosophy in a camera is simply nonsense and a huge design mistake. They finally should do their homework and get rid of these first generation batteries.

But yes the EM1X is a beast of a camera with a lot of thought in it and this is what makes it such an outstanding product. But from a selling point most of these advantages are hard to understand and require in most cases you have really used this camera first to appreciate them. But this makes it harder to sell form the beginning and this is not something Olympus currently needs. So I hope they bring their new EM5.3 soon and that hopefully sells then like hot cakes :thumbs:

bensonga

I suppose that from a strictly direct sales and profit perspective, one might think that Nikon and Canon don’t need to produce pro bodies like the D5 and 1Dx. Nonetheless, in doing so they have set a high bar and standard for photographers who need (or want) that level of performance. I applaud Olympus for making a serious effort to compete at that level for the m43rds format, even if most traditional m43rds buyers don’t need the capabilities of the EM1X. This is one more reason I am happy to support Olympus with my $$... I would like to see m43rds cameras and lenses be competitive at many different levels, not just as being the smallest and lightest.

Gary

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I suppose that from a strictly direct sales and profit perspective, one might think that Nikon and Canon don’t need to produce pro bodies like the D5 and 1Dx. Nonetheless, in doing so they have set a high bar and standard for photographers who need (or want) that level of performance. I applaud Olympus for making a serious effort to compete at that level for the m43rds format, even if most traditional m43rds buyers don’t need the capabilities of the EM1X. This is one more reason I am happy to support Olympus with my $$... I would like to see m43rds cameras and lenses be competitive at many different levels, not just as being the smallest and lightest.

Gary
Same for me - but having said that I am still very sceptical that this EM1X was the right move at this point in time (when camera sales are constantly shrinking worldwide) especially for Olympus. They need to attract professionals and I am not sure at all if they will succeed as professionals are usually a very conservative crowd. So jumping into a much smaller sensor and at the same time trusting in a company that is so much smaller than the leaders even calculating in all the innovations - I don't know if that model will succeed. My guess is that a radically improved EM1.3 or EM5.3 with BSI sensor and a much better EVF (looking at Panasonic S1/S1R) in combination with their usual improvements of IBIS would have been the smarter move.

I wish them (Olympus) luck anyway as I like this company (although not all of their decisions) ad am still heavily invested in their gear :thumbup:

raist3d

Gary,

sorry but I need to answer this one. I was thinking exactly like that. But there are two facts wrong in this calculation:

1) you can cancel the Adobe subscription plans anytime - so it is not for the rest of your life
I feel the need to answer this too. Adobe seems very interested to have your photos live on the cloud. When they finish their final port to whatever final LR will look like, all will go to the cloud- not my photos.

Of course, they promise this or that. Don't care- they already broked a major promise- or made the promise in such a political way to get away with it.

2) buying C1Pro costs around €280.- an upgrade usually ever 18 months is typically around €160.- or so. This means that a subscription plan for around €120.- a year is more or less exactly the same you pay for staying on the latest release of C1Pro
You could buy Capture one and decide when you want to upgrade. You don't need to upgrade anything if the version you got does what you want. It's not forced on you.

3) this Adobe subscription plan opens you LR Classic, LR CC and LR CC Mobile together with I think 20G storage in Creative Cloud. This allows you totally different ways to work with your photos, import to mobile devices and have it simultaneously synced over the cloud with LR Classic where finally you can store your photos and videos locally and hence never run over the 20G cloud limit.
I definitively don't want my photos, my intellectual property on their cloud. Again, you can be ok with that, and that's great, we all have different needs and wants.

So the argument that lifelong prison in the Adobe ecosystem is not true, it is not more expensive and it opens up a number of new ways to work and share. This were the main reasons for me to subscribe and I have not regret it.
The prison is that if you have your entire collection in LightRoom and one day decided to move you are stuck. But again, if it works for you that's great.

Also I find Capture 1 Pro has gotten better than LR anyway, but again, each of us should use what works for each of us.

Mind you I am also running the latest copy of C1Pro since the beginning and I also have synced all my locally stored photos (catalog) to C1Pro, so I can see which is better. I have extensively compared IQ over the years between the two and while there were clear IQ advantages to C1Pro some years ago I must say since the latest releases of LRxyz these differences have vanished, I dare to say that meanwhile it is often the other way around that I prefer the outcome of LR and Adobe products and that becomes even more true with their latest Enhance feature where AI is used to significantly increase detail and overall sharpness of photos without any artefacts.
Don't agree to that. More so if you are using Fuji Xtrans.

All of this together put an end for me to that boring and lifelong discussion if and why and what etc. is better - LR or C1Pro - and I concentrate on taking, organising and sharing my photos videos in the most convenient way.

PS: I also have tried most of the other RAW developer, DXO, Luminar, however they are called - nice toys but not really useable for a real workflow - at least not for me.
I think it's great that LR works for you. I think it's fine that other raw converters works better for other people.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I feel the need to answer this too. Adobe seems very interested to have your photos live on the cloud. When they finish their final port to whatever final LR will look like, all will go to the cloud- not my photos.

Of course, they promise this or that. Don't care- they already broked a major promise- or made the promise in such a political way to get away with it.

You could buy Capture one and decide when you want to upgrade. You don't need to upgrade anything if the version you got does what you want. It's not forced on you.

I definitively don't want my photos, my intellectual property on their cloud. Again, you can be ok with that, and that's great, we all have different needs and wants.

The prison is that if you have your entire collection in LightRoom and one day decided to move you are stuck. But again, if it works for you that's great.

Also I find Capture 1 Pro has gotten better than LR anyway, but again, each of us should use what works for each of us.

Don't agree to that. More so if you are using Fuji Xtrans.

I think it's great that LR works for you. I think it's fine that other raw converters works better for other people.

- Ricardo
So what?

It is up to everyone, also you, to love or hate or accept or deny LR, C1Pro etc. I am meanwhile getting tired of continuous complaints when it comes to Adobe (and many other) subscriptions. And I stopped believing that C1Pro and other converters are so much better because of xyzzy several years ago now. Since then I am a happy camper and use whatever SW suits me best for the things I want to achieve.
And life is so much easier :clap:

PeterA

maybe the next trick is to get an elephant to stand on it- although this has been done before.

Of course, it may not work with your new camera, but that is beside the point, right?

bensonga

We all know there excellent resources on the Internet for comparing the dimensions and weights of various cameras. However, I haven't found one that could visually compare the dimensions of the Olympus E-M1X and a camera like the Panasonic G9 with the battery grip attached. If there is such a website, I would appreciate if someone could share the link with me.

Before I bought the E-M1X I had calculated the dimensions/weight of the G9 with the grip attached and compared that to the E-M1X, but sometimes a picture is useful too. Here is a quick pic of my E-M1X and G9 with grip.

Personally, I think that anyone who is used to carrying a camera like the G9 with grip would get used to the size and weight of the E-M1X very quickly. A real plus for me is the layout of the buttons and other controls on E-M1X (vs G9 with grip) which Olympus was able to design thanks to the one piece body.

Gary

bensonga

Thanks, Gary. I want both... and a GH5s. Do I need to see a shrink :loco:
Nah...I think we are both ok Jorgen. Just a slightly elevated case of GAS. Fortunately, we are both steering clear of the high end Phase One, Hasselblad, Arca Swiss etc cameras, digital backs and lenses. That’s where the serious dangers to one’s financial and mental health lurk and which might require professional assistance or intervention.

Gary

Last edited:

ricseet

Thank younger sharing your post.
I am thinking of getting the EM1X to replace my Em1.2. Currently I have the A9 and does a super job for BIF of smaller birds like White Throated and Common Kingfisher and Bee Eater.
Can you please check with your friend if the CAF for BIF of the EM1X stack up to the A9? If so I will buy one. If not I buy the EM1.2 to go with my 4/3 & m4/3 lens collection

Thank you in advanced

ric

For anyone interested in BIF AF performance of the EM1X. A friend of mine who shoots alot of BIF with a EM1.2 (plus a Sony A9, Canon 1D.4 and 7D.2) is considering a EM1X and shared this with me.

Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography | Olympus E-M1X – Autofocus

And here is a link to his overall review of the camera.

Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography | Olympus OMD E-M1X review

Gary

bensonga

Hi Ric. If my friend decides to buy a E-M1X I’m sure he will do a thorough test of shooting BIF and a comparison with his A9 etc. In that case, I will certainly report back here re his impressions.

Gary

ricseet

Gary, thanks so much and look forward to your update.
Just read A9 FW 5.0 released today n can track BIF.

Ric

Hi Ric. If my friend decides to buy a E-M1X I’m sure he will do a thorough test of shooting BIF and a comparison with his A9 etc. In that case, I will certainly report back here re his impressions.

Gary