The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12 Plus Announcement

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A lovely image :thumbup: especially the sepia tone .

Thanks Peter for your friendly reply . My lathe and milling machine , I must admit , are a bit smaller .
I have two passions , which are photography and working with my machines . And the ALPA cameras
are just challenging to think about making your own accessories .
One of them was a holder for a cup of coffee . I never showed an image of that "accessory" .
Good night to Melbourne . Jürgen .

PeterA

A lovely image :thumbup: especially the sepia tone .

Thanks Peter for your friendly reply . My lathe and milling machine , I must admit , are a bit smaller .
I have two passions , which are photography and working with my machines . And the ALPA cameras
are just challenging to think about making your own accessories .
One of them was a holder for a cup of coffee . I never showed an image of that "accessory" .
Good night to Melbourne . Jürgen .

Hi Jurgen - good to meet a fellow machinist...

this one came to my via Germany :thumbup:

and of course you might recognise the milling machine in the midground - also from Germany....

Cheers Pete

dchew

Just received the Alpa 12+ from CI. Thanks Steve! Here is a first impressions review. There are many things I really like, and a few things I don’t.

First, why? I’ve been raving and loving my STC for the last 9 years. Not to worry, the STC will still get plenty of work. There are three reasons for my interest in the 12+:
  1. Shift and rise/fall together: The STC can do both, but not at the same time. As most of you know, I like doing 2-image stitches to make panoramas. That means the STC is oriented for shift. If I want to keep things vertical while shifting and move the horizon up or down, I am forced to point the camera up or down with the STC.
  2. Another 2mm: The STC movement is +-18mm. 12+ is +-20mm. That changes the pano dimension from 9:4 to 7:3 (2.25:1 vs 2.33:1). Not a big difference, and certainly within cropping range. But, I hope to put those 2mm to good use with the imminent (?) arrival of the 138 float.
  3. My STC is getting long in the tooth: It still works fine with no issues, but I want it to outlast me; I can’t imagine ever parting with it. I’ve often thought about getting a second one (right, Steve Hendrix?) but getting the 12+ instead seemed to make more sense. The STC will become my backpacking/long hike kit. STC, IQ back, 60xl and 138 float. The 12+ will be for most everything else.
First Impressions
Comes with a very nice Optech pouch. Really cool. Too bad it will sit in my closet except when the 12+ goes back to the mother ship for cleaning/calibration 5 years from now. That new plastic cover is really light. 16 grams light. Much better than the old flat covers @ 54 grams. I will apologize upfront for being a gram counter; more on that later.

(it doesn’t come with that ugly bright orange cord; I added that)

That stitching adapter is one serious block of aluminum. I was debating whether to get it or not, but I am glad I did. It tops the scales at only 72 grams and it does not create problems for my packing arrangement. It will essentially be permanently mounted.

As usual, well-designed and beautifully made. Each movement has some sort of bump-stop dampener that seems to work really well. Reminds me of new cabinets that you can throw shut and they put the brakes on just before closing. We will see how they fare over time with saltwater, sand and cold.

The dampeners

Packing
I was worried about the added size and weight of the 12+, especially size. I was hoping it would fit vertically in the backpack, and it does, barely! It is a square 184mm / 7-1/4”. For this kit I will use the ThinkTank/MindShift “Stash Master 13L." Essentially a F-stop ICU that is just slightly deeper at 7.1 inches vs the pro ICU’s at 6.5 inches. The pack I use is plenty deep enough to handle the fraction of an inch it sticks up above the insert. However, if you look at how the wooden grips are mounted on the 12+, they add significant width because they wrap around the edge of the camera. Alas, no rosewood in this Alpa’s future. Now you understand why I added the ugly orange cord. With bare hands there are plenty of handholds for good grip. On the other hand, mittens are warm but not known for their tenacious grip on expensive hunks of aluminum.

Here is the kit in the backpack. Clockwise from top left: IQ4150 w/17mm adapter, towels, sk60xl, Rodenstock loupe, sk150, 12+ with 17mm tilt adapter, 35xl under the sk90, 17mm adapter (for the 138mm). The 138 float will replace the sk150 in the bottom right corner – it stands almost exactly as tall as the 150mm: ~5-1//4”. It uses a total 51mm of adapters, so the 17mm tilt (already on the front of the 12+) and the 34mm added to the back of the 12+ will get me there and should be pretty well balanced.

The bubble levels at each corner are nice and add a finishing touch to the symmetrical design of the 12+. One of my pet peeves is bubble levels that are not well calibrated. The levels in my Arca Swiss Cube are accurate, but not on my tripods or on the Alpa STC. I am happy to report all four levels on this 12+ are dead on. Well done!

My primary criticism is the “flippers” on the camera are difficult to reach compared to the long-wing design on the STC. Especially on the front where I have the 17mm tilt adapter mounted. The only time I will remove it is with the 35xl, which I don’t use all that much. Still, my fat fingers really have to work at getting them open. I don’t think gloves will work well at all. The flippers on the back side are a bit more accessible, but still takes some dexterity and care. And, that’s the DB mount that I prefer not to drop. Part of my difficulty is because the flippers are on the right side, which means holding the DB in your left hand while operating the flippers with your right. I am right-handed, so picking up the DB in my left hand will take some re-training. I don’t like swapping anything from one hand to another; that is when things tend to take flight.

Also, the rear shift mechanism is inverted from the STC. The 12+ controls are bottom left; STC top right:

Nothing wrong with that, just more work re-training my hands. I keep trying to push the brass lever up to disengage the gear. It’s already up – push it down, Dave. I could flip the camera around and rotate it 90 degrees; that would place the horizontal shift mechanism on top. Hmm…

Very thoughtful adding rise/fall mm scale to the back of the stitching adapter. Makes the Shift Scale Stick unnecessary (I wouldn’t use it anyway). For those not familiar, the stitching adapter is not required to shift-rise/fall, but helpful. It moves the tripod mount from the camera to the “front standard” so when implementing rise/fall, the lens stays in place while the camera / DB moves up and down. It helps with a few things:

• Just like with mirrorless or DSLR cameras, long lenses should be mounted directly to the tripod, not hanging off the front of the camera mount. Kind of like a tripod foot.
  • Although only a few millimeters, the lens doesn’t move when implementing rise fall or horizontal shift, so perspective never changes.
  • As mentioned above, there is a scale on the stitching adapter, so you know how much rise/fall is dialed in without having to walk around to the front of the camera.

There are two disadvantages to using the stitching adapter: The previously mentioned weight, and the real estate it takes up in the pack. It would not be practical to attach / detach it every time, so you have to figure out how to pack the camera with it mounted. Compared to a typical RRS mount it sticks out an additional ~3/4”. That dedicates 8-1/2” x 7-1/4” for the camera. If you want to keep the DB mounted it is going to take up a lot of room.

Weight
I’ve dedicated the last 9 years to keeping my kit on a strict diet. A lot of that just went out the window:
  • STC vs 12+: 712 grams to 1144 grams. That’s basically a pound. Those are “pack weights,” meaning it includes covers, straps, grips, RRS plates, stitching plates, everything. Because I could carry the STC with 60xl and DB mounted, I didn’t need extra covers. That makes it worse for the 12+.
  • The 138 float will add another pound. All that pushes my camera equipment from 4623 to 5481 grams (not counting tripod, pack and non-camera equipment). 12 lbs isn’t bad, but it is a big step in the wrong direction. Again, long hikes and overnights will still be the STC’s job.

Workflow
Changes to my workflow are solely relative to the STC:
The primary change is packing the camera with nothing attached. The STC had the 60xl/17t adapter and DB mounted in the pack. Looking back at 2019, my lens choice is split pretty evenly between 60, 90 and 150mm. That means two-thirds of the time I was removing the 60xl, mounting the 90 or 150mm, and adding a second 17mm adapter to the back of the camera. Storing the camera disassembled will actually reduce the steps I go through to take images when using longer lenses. Obviously, the 60xl will now require complete assembly.

No more having to rotate the camera to perform horizontal shifts vs rise/fall. That should be a welcome change, although with the RRS quick release clamp it is pretty effortless to rotate the STC. Of course, camera rotation often means DB rotation to get back to landscape orientation. I should be rotating the DB less often.

STC oriented for front rise/fall vs 12+; no need to rotate!

I am looking forward to employing both horizontal back shift for panos and using rise/fall to keep the perspective aligned. The sk90 will be limited by the image circle, but the 60xl and the future 138 float should be fine shifting L/R 20mm combined with up to 10mm of rise/fall. That would be an IC of 107mm.

Dave

Last edited:

narikin

Congratulations. The 12+ is a great camera and Alpa did well with it. I thought about cross-grading from my MAX, but decided to stick with what I have.

It is worthwhile to note that the Max has 25mm of rise, - the most needed/used movement in tech cameras, to get the top of a building in, whereas the 12+ is 20mm. And of course these cameras can be used sideways or reversed, so the Max's +25 -18, can be flipped to horizontal, to make 43mm total cross, exceeding the 40mm of the 12+. Though it's a bit less convenient, admittedly.

Having said that, the 12+ has lovely compact dimensions, and if I get carried away with gear envy again (it happens a lot) I might yet add that to my closet full of Alpa tech.

----------

Oh and a tip: Do not backpack with a lens *on* your 12 / Max / STC body. It stresses the plate's alignment, and it'll need a pricey trip to Alpa to remedy. Maybe a light lens would be ok, but certainly not a big Roddy. Travel with it apart, and attach when on location.

Geoff

Thanks for the good review. One small nit about bubble levels vs. tubes: you can see tubes from the side - for bubble levels you have to be able to look down on them - a bit harder sometimes.

Else the smaller size and easy movements are pretty neat!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello Dave

My ALPA 12 PLUS did not come in such a nice pouch . Is that a goody from CI ? ? ?
I will have to find out the order number and see if I can get that pouch here in Germany .
Thank you for your report . :thumbs:

dchew

Hello Dave

My ALPA 12 PLUS did not come in such a nice pouch . Is that a goody from CI ? ? ?
I will have to find out the order number and see if I can get that pouch here in Germany .
Thank you for your report . :thumbs:
Hi Jurgen,
My guess is the pouch is a C1 goodie. I just checked Op/TechUSA's website and it looks like they discontinued the pouches. Oops.

Dave

DougDolde

These "dumb cameras" aren't really cameras at all just a lensless and senseless body to hang them on

dchew

These "dumb cameras" aren't really cameras at all just a lensless and senseless body to hang them on
That’s almost exactly how I describe them when asked. In fact, I often say they are “ dumb as a brick and weigh about the same.” Not that I have anything against bricks!

Dave

jng

Yes they are dumb. As is my Cambo WRS-V "dumb" lens adapter. But clearly the folks who design and machine these widgets are not so dumb - infinity focus is spot-on on all of my lenses with a hard stop and I can shift +/- 20mm on my Cambo and obtain a flat stitch that's 94mm across and razor sharp from edge to edge.

You gets what you pays for. And Dante loves you for it.

John

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Jurgen,
My guess is the pouch is a C1 goodie. I just checked Op/TechUSA's website and it looks like they discontinued the pouches. Oops.

Dave
Thank you Dave .
Yes it looks , as if these pouches are discontinued . NOVOFLEX is the german agent for OP-TECH products and they don't have any OP-TECH pouches at all .
I will find an other solution .

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Doug,

You are a great photographer and a good person. I don't understand why you've frequently been negative.

To get attention, you better show more stunning pictures. I think people here will appreciate and respect you more.

Best regards,

Pramote

Shashin

I am not sure you know what a camera is. In its basic form, it just needs an imaging plane and a device to project an image, whether that is with optics or pinhole. A shutter of some type, even if that is just taking on and off a lens cap, and a way to focus if needed.

I have actually done some of my best work with "dumb" cameras. But then again, I actually don't find setting exposure and focusing a challenge.

tcdeveau

Just received the Alpa 12+ from CI. Thanks Steve! Here is a first impressions review.

Dave
Congrats Dave! That is a slick looking pouch, I don't think mine came with one :( I will probably live though haha. Looking forward to seeing some pics with it, and pics of that 138 when it comes in too :cool:
-Todd

Steve Hendrix

Hi Jurgen,

Dave

Yes, this is actually a leftover pouch from an Alpa Max. I don't recall how it came to be on the shelf, but it had no body partner, so I did just slip it in and gave it a new home.

Todd - I am sorry! If that pouch was on the shelf when you ordered, I suppose it may have gone to you, because both you and Dave are first rate clients (and human beings). It just happened to show up right when Dave ordered.

** Per dumb cameras - I'm considering getting a T Shirt that says Dumb and Senseless.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Abstraction

I guess they are cameras in the same way as any view camera is a camera. If we take a view camera, then all it is is just two boards on a rail connected by a bellows. I imagine these things fall into the same category.

gerald.d

Just received the Alpa 12+ from CI. Thanks Steve! Here is a first impressions review. There are many things I really like, and a few things I don’t.
What a lovely write-up. Thanks for sharing.

I miss my Alpas :(

Kind regards,

Gerald.

algrove

Dave
Thanks for your entire work on this thread. As my eyesight continues to worsen I am finding LCD focusing becoming difficult for me even with my Peak 4x.

dchew

Dave
Thanks for your entire work on this thread. As my eyesight continues to worsen I am finding LCD focusing becoming difficult for me even with my Peak 4x.
Hi Lou,
HPF rings and the Disto are still a pretty darn accurate alternative, in my opinion. More cumbersome for sure, and no help with tilt.

Dave