The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Upgrade Kits - what did you get included in past?

narikin

I was pretty impressed with the upgrade kit I received going IQ3-100 to IQ4-150 - it came with everything you'd expect and more - included an XQD card + reader (the more expensive fast one) all the Tether Tool leads you could wish for, and 2 batteries with the new style charger, and full license for Capture One, and 2 loaded insert bags for your Hard Case, etc, etc.

Before going from IQ180 to IQ3-100 I simply got the back in a cardboard box. Don't even recall a single battery!! Certainly no charger or CO full licence. Likewise P65+ to IQ180, nothing but a foam lined box!

Either Phase have seriously upped their game, or... my last dealers stripped out the extras, like batteries and CO licence, to make a bit extra. I can't imagine them doing that, but thought to ask others - what did you get in past back>back upgrades?

narikin

I'm 99% sure it's simply Phase upping their game.
Here's the packaging for my last 3 upgrades:

IQ180:

IQ3-100:

IQ4-150:

kdphotography

Pretty similar upgrade experience up to the IQ3 100----so it looks like the IQ4 upgrade includes more. :thumbup:

DougDolde

I'm curious how many thousands those upgrades cost you. Likely accessories are a minuscule part of the total

kdphotography

Such a nattering nay-bob of negativity. :rolleyes:

Sure the cost of entry and upgrades are expensive. But it serves a purpose whether work-related or purely for pleasure. The extra accessories or other premiums is simply icing---and the additional polish by Phase One is appreciated.

Does is really bother you that much that other photographers find utility or enjoyment in using camera systems other than a Nikon D850? :toocool:

narikin

Realised i probably still have the boxes for P65+ and P45+ before those.

Good grief. Lightbulb moment: I have a hoarding problem !

onasj

I recently received my IQ4 upgrade kit (a Pelican rollaboard suitcase with wheels and a retractable handle, in fact) from Lance and Doug at Digital Transitions. They provided excellent communication and customer service throughout the process, and I was also very impressed with what was included.

Four separate padded zippered cases (ICUs) inside the outer case, each packed with useful accessories. These extras include: extra rear caps for both the IQ back and the camera, a new cubical dual battery charger (easier to use and more precise charging display), two additional lithium ion batteries, a 64 GB G-series Sony XQD card, a Sony 64 GB G-series SD card, a USB 3.0 dual XQD/SD card reader, sensor cleaning kit, cleaning cloth, and an endless assortment of power and data cables.

Yes, the IQ4 is expensive—to some, offensively so. But so far I’m very impressed both with the IQ4, and with the extras and customer service I’ve received. As usual, you get what you pay for.

I’ll post an IQ4 review from the perspective of a longtime user of Nikon, Sony, and Leica equipment in the near future.

narikin

I recently received my IQ4 upgrade kit (a Pelican rollaboard suitcase with wheels and a retractable handle, in fact) from Lance and Doug at Digital Transitions. They provided excellent communication and customer service throughout the process, and I was also very impressed with what was included.

Four separate padded zippered cases (ICUs) inside the outer case, each packed with useful accessories. These extras include: extra rear caps for both the IQ back and the camera, a new cubical dual battery charger (easier to use and more precise charging display), two additional lithium ion batteries, a 64 GB G-series Sony XQD card, a Sony 64 GB G-series SD card, a USB 3.0 dual XQD/SD card reader, sensor cleaning kit, cleaning cloth, and an endless assortment of power and data cables.

Yes, the IQ4 is expensive—to some, offensively so. But so far I’m very impressed both with the IQ4, and with the extras and customer service I’ve received. As usual, you get what you pay for.

I’ll post an IQ4 review from the perspective of a longtime user of Nikon, Sony, and Leica equipment in the near future.
See that's what I mean - I got no roller case and 2 (not 4) zippered ICU compartments - so what's going on?

I trust my dealer totally, he is a friend who'd never do anything funny, so it seems Phase sends out different levels of upgrade kit to different people/ dealers. Or maybe someone here can explain the difference?

Just checking: was yours simply back:back upgrade, not camera body purchase too, not a DF to XF upgrade? If it was IQ3 back to full IQ4+XF, then it would make sense.

onasj

My IQ4 purchase included the XF, so I suspect that accounts for the difference. DT was kind enough to send me the XF and an IQ3 loaner first, so what I bought was a complete IQ4 system, but what I received was something in between a straight IQ4+XF purchase, and an upgrade. I doubt you are missing anything of note based on your initial post.

See that's what I mean - I got no roller case and 2 (not 4) zippered ICU compartments - so what's going on?

I trust my dealer totally, he is a friend who'd never do anything funny, so it seems Phase sends out different levels of upgrade kit to different people/ dealers. Or maybe someone here can explain the difference?

Just checking: was yours simply back:back upgrade, not camera body purchase too, not a DF to XF upgrade? If it was IQ3 back to full IQ4+XF, then it would make sense.

narikin

Ahhh, ok - yes if you ordered an XF too, then that would explain the bigger kit/ package.

Having said that, I bought an IQ3-100 + XF last time around, and got not roller case. Sigh.
It's ok, I don't use roller cases like those, though it is a useful way to keep your Phase gear together.

My IQ4 purchase included the XF, so I suspect that accounts for the difference. DT was kind enough to send me the XF and an IQ3 loaner first, so what I bought was a complete IQ4 system, but what I received was something in between a straight IQ4+XF purchase, and an upgrade. I doubt you are missing anything of note based on your initial post.

kdphotography

That Phase One roller case is not a typical Pelican/Storm roller case. It has some nice features (if you use/need them). Hefty retail price from a dealer.

ken

earburner

Ok this is going to sound very sad but... Velcro lens labels… OMG :bugeyes: there not in the upgrade kit but I will have to ask my dealer.. 6 lenses all in black phase one wraps.. I always pull out the wrong one... lol ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ok this is going to sound very sad but... Velcro lens labels… OMG :bugeyes: there not in the upgrade kit but I will have to ask my dealer.. 6 lenses all in black phase one wraps.. I always pull out the wrong one... lol ;)
That's not sad; that's exactly their intention.

Items in black wraps or the new black clamshell cases can all look the same. Tape with sharpie is perfectly practical but is quite ugly and not quick to move from one wrap/case to another. Whether the velcro labels work in practice after a few months of heavy use I honestly could not say (we literally need to wait for a few months of heavy use to find out) but it's surely a first-rate idea.

narikin

The Velcro labels are included the straight back>back upgrade kit.

etrump

For some, the quality of their work is far more important than the cost of entry/upgrade. For me, the difference in IQ are substantial and the shooting experience is far more fulfilling.

Value is purely perception.

Ed

I'm curious how many thousands those upgrades cost you. Likely accessories are a minuscule part of the total