The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson ABW vs Custom Monochrome Profile

I am profiling a few papers for use with my Epson P6000. I'm using a Color Munki Photo, and it's great for my color images. I definitely see an improvement over the manufacturer profiles. I can go in and refine the profiles further by inputting a particular image. I was thinking of inputting a monochrome test image and using that to create a custom B&W profile. But I'm wondering if I'm better off just sticking with ABW mode... I'm mostly printing directly from LR.

I would appreciate any advice!

pfigen

Pretty sure that your ColorMunki only makes RGB or CMYK profiles and not Grayscale. You'd need a different app that can make GS profiles and then do a rather complicated Convert to Profile with your new GS profile then ASSIGN sRGB, which is what ABW wants, but you can't assign a color profile to a GS image, so you kinda see the problem. Really, the best and easiest thing is to do convert your file to sRGB and send that through ABW. It works amazingly well as that's how Epson designed it to work. And don't forget that it's not just the multiple black inks but also a small amount of the other colors as well to facilitate neutrality and color toning.