The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

question on electronic shutter

dekap

I'm a newbie here and about to buy a technical camera and digital back. I intend to use the camera primarily for landscape photography. Would be using an electronic shutter be bad if the environment is static? I never had a problem with my Leica or Hasselblad. If I purchase a lens that didn't have a Copal shutter, would that be bad for resale? Thanks

Boinger

I use e-shutter most of the time, without much issue. Resale wise if it is a rare lens I think someone will buy it and repurpose it if they really need a shutter as I did with a Schneider 150mm digitar I just bought. Had a Rollei E-shutter, I had a spare copal on a lens I wasn't using so I swapped the two and got the scales corrected.

4*Paul

I use the ES 100% of the time shooting landscapes with my IQ3 100 and find it excellent. The best firmware update I’ve ever had!
Sure, if a car crosses the scene, it will end up a funny shape but that never happens intentionally in my shots.
Moving leaves and waves never look odd to me so, as you can see, I’m a great advocate of using the ES for this type of photography.
I use touch screen with 2 seconds delay unless I want to catch a specific moment (wave breaking maybe) when I use a the old latency cable with a push button half way down. Can’t recall the proper name for this at the moment though.
Hope this helps.
Paul.

Paul2660

The only downside I found to the ES on IQ3100 was the need to shoot the dark frame (put a lens cap over the lens or similar) anytime the shutter speed was changed. Longer exposures with larger filters like 100 x 100 or 150 x 150 was taxing. Each time you changed the shutter speed, you were asked for a new reference frame. I never found a way to avoid this on the 3100. Same issue on the 3100 and XF as any exposure 1 sec or longer had to have a mandatory dark frame. Again for photographer working a series 30 seconds or or even 10 seconds, having to wait an additional 10 seconds or 30 seconds before you could fire again was problematic. In shots where I wanted to pan, at sunrise, the wait at times caused problems due to movement of the clouds over the wait period.

As for the other question, I would still get a copal if you can, just adds a bit more value to the lens and ability to resell if necessary.

I never found any issues with movement with the ES on the 3100, leaves, branches etc. net no issues in outdoor shots. Like previous posted something moving fast like a car, bicycle, motorcycle etc will have classic rolling shutter or propellers. The ES on the XF allowed for much more detailed shots for me with the 75-150 and 240 LS lenses, on Tripod. Before the ES upgrade, motion blur was always a problem even with the vibration feature of the XF.

Paul C

Paul2660

Would a copal shutter also be advantageous for flash?
I believe if you are using flash, you have a copal. ES can't sync to a flash, at least not that I am aware of. This is true with any ES shutter. Still have to have leaf shutter or focal or Copal on a tech lens.

Paul C

TheDude

I believe if you are using flash, you have a copal. ES can't sync to a flash, at least not that I am aware of. This is true with any ES shutter. Still have to have leaf shutter or focal or Copal on a tech lens.

Paul C
Thanks for the explanation. Never (yet) used flash but always wondered whether or not flash can be used with P1's ES.

iPhone has ES and flash, so there is not an inherent impossibility of using both.

Paul2660

That's a good point on the iPhone or other phones as I don't believe any phones have a global shutter yet.

Not sure how it's working with the phone's shutter.

I have only tried flash with ES on Fuji, Both GFX and X-H1, if the ES is picked at the shutter, the flash will not fire. Found it out by accident. Have never tried ES/flash on XF Phase One.

Paul C

algrove

OP

If you intend to buy a Phase DB and use ES say on the IQ3100 models a smaller adapter for your cable release is needed which converts many Phase cable releases from 12 pin to 8 pin for insertion into the IQ3 DB. I have converted to IQ4150 and no longer require this 6" short cable.