The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions of the Phase One + Hasselblad system I am putting together?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It may make some sense to look at the Fuji GFX. Why?

• It is a modern camera, designed around the 33x44 mm sensor. It does not offer 80 MP, but in a couple of months it will be available with 100MP.
  • The GFX lets you choose focusing point across the whole sensor and the AF is very accurate.
  • Also, it seems the lenses are extremely good while still being affordable.
  • If needed, the GFX can be adapted to a lot of different lenses.
  • Buying a new camera comes with warranty.

Best regards
Erik

Hi All,

I am putting together my first medium format camera.

I found a significant discount on a Hasselblad H6X with HV-90X-ii (brand new). And I have found two digital backs that I am told are compatible: a pre-owned Phase One IQ140 Hasselblad H Mount or a pre-owned Phase One IQ280 Hasselblad H Mount.

Of the two Phase One pre-owned digital backs, I am leaning toward the IQ280 Hasselblad H Mount. It is about twice the cost of the IQ140, but it is still within budget.

I also am planning to get a pre-owned Hasselblad film magazine HM 16-32, which I am told is compatible with the Hasselblad H6X with HV-90X-ii viewfinder.

I have saved up a good budget but still trying to get creative with “mixing and matching” these various pieces in order to stay within my budget and have room for a couple lenses.

I did consider a pre-owned deal on a Hasselblad H6D-100c, but it wouldn’t leave much budget left for anything else. I also considered a pre-owned Hasselblad H6D-50c (which would have left room in the budget for other items), but my impression is that I might prefer the Phase One IQ280 digital back for the higher its higher 80 megapixels anyway, and I also really like having the ability to use the HM 16-32 film magazine on the “open” H6X. Plus, I have read a lot of generally positive opinions about Phase One digital backs in general.

Again, this is my first medium format camera, so I greatly appreciate any feedback (warnings, critical feedback, etc. welcome), tips, advice, or topics for me to further think about, consider, and research. But so far this is the set up I am currently pursuing.

Thank you

Steve Hendrix

Hi,

It may make some sense to look at the Fuji GFX. Why?

• It is a modern camera, designed around the 33x44 mm sensor. It does not offer 80 MP, but in a couple of months it will be available with 100MP.
  • The GFX lets you choose focusing point across the whole sensor and the AF is very accurate.
  • Also, it seems the lenses are extremely good while still being affordable.
  • If needed, the GFX can be adapted to a lot of different lenses.
  • Buying a new camera comes with warranty.

Best regards
Erik

These are good points, Erik. But I do have to mention that buying a used camera can come with warranty as well (we offer 1 year warranties on all of our certified pre-owned digital backs).

https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/0-pre-owned-digital-backs/

And once we start receiving Fuji GFX 100S inventory (I already have a working pre-order list), I expect we will also be receiving Fuji GFX 50S and GFX 50R trade ins. And we will also put 1 year warranty on those 50S and 50R trade in units, once we've certified them.

Steve Hendrix/CI

I would also suggest an X1D (the Hassy is my preference, a lot of people also love the Fuji GFX). I have the X1D, I also have an H4x and a IQ140 (that I should probably sell). I haven’t really picked up the h4x/iq140 since I got the X1D. The only thing you’d be giving up is the film back option and true focus (wish they would add it to the X1D!) But the benefits are many:
Much Smaller camera
Smaller lenses
More modern everything about it
All in one body, less things to break/go wrong
Can use the legacy H lenses, so you have more lens options and can save money! You could also go with the X1D, get a mix of xcd lenses and H lenses and also get a used H1 body for super cheap to use with the film back.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Normally, I would consider the X1D, but at present I feel that there is too much unsecurity about the X1D.

Last time I checked:

• Hasselblad store around 10k€ and out of stock.
  • B&H Photovideo doesn't list
  • Adorama doesn't list

There are rumors about an X1DII, but no specifications. Hasselblad does not present a roadmap for the product.

Simply no info from Hasselblad. At this stage the camera is overpriced around 10k$US.

The lenses are expensive compared to Fuji.

So, I would not consider it at present.

Best regards
Erik

I would also suggest an X1D (the Hassy is my preference, a lot of people also love the Fuji GFX). I have the X1D, I also have an H4x and a IQ140 (that I should probably sell). I haven’t really picked up the h4x/iq140 since I got the X1D. The only thing you’d be giving up is the film back option and true focus (wish they would add it to the X1D!) But the benefits are many:
Much Smaller camera
Smaller lenses
More modern everything about it
All in one body, less things to break/go wrong
Can use the legacy H lenses, so you have more lens options and can save money! You could also go with the X1D, get a mix of xcd lenses and H lenses and also get a used H1 body for super cheap to use with the film back.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I am living in Sweden, so buying from Capture Information is not convenient for me. But I really appreciate your efforts to inform.

Best regards
Erik

These are good points, Erik. But I do have to mention that buying a used camera can come with warranty as well (we offer 1 year warranties on all of our certified pre-owned digital backs).

https://www.digitalback.com/product-category/0-pre-owned-digital-backs/

And once we start receiving Fuji GFX 100S inventory (I already have a working pre-order list), I expect we will also be receiving Fuji GFX 50S and GFX 50R trade ins. And we will also put 1 year warranty on those 50S and 50R trade in units, once we've certified them.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dave.gt

A lot has been said, and I can only offer a single suggestion. A single piece of advice that can alter your photographic journey.

Keep your options open.:thumbs:

Since you posted in a "mostly digital" forum, I presume that you are more inclined to shoot digital and using an Hx body gives you many options with digital backs. More options than you will have time to explore, let alone master. That in itself is amazing and full of opportunities for artistic expression.

But wait! There is more. Film backs. The experience of shooting film with an H body is mesmerizing... Almost as intoxicating as shooting the same film on a classic Hasselblad V with a WLF. Again, shooting film backs gives you not only more options but it will open you up to a whole new universe.

Keep your options open.

You cannot know where your photographic journey may lead you and an opportunity missed is a sad experience, especially if you do not recognize the opportunity or do not prepare for it ahead of time.

Of course, if it is only a matter of making nice images, then nothing mentioned above will apply.:rolleyes:

Cost? You will be separated from your money in either direction you choose. This is Dante's world after all, right?:ROTFL:

The original poster was talking about buying used anyway, I think the used X1D prices are reasonable, same with the lenses. I don't really get the "uncertainty." Hasselblad is backed by a large company, so I personally am not worried about it disappearing. But that's just my opinion, obviously every one has different perspectives and I certainly respect yours.

Hi,

Normally, I would consider the X1D, but at present I feel that there is too much unsecurity about the X1D.

Last time I checked:

• Hasselblad store around 10k€ and out of stock.
  • B&H Photovideo doesn't list
  • Adorama doesn't list

There are rumors about an X1DII, but no specifications. Hasselblad does not present a roadmap for the product.

Simply no info from Hasselblad. At this stage the camera is overpriced around 10k$US.

The lenses are expensive compared to Fuji.

So, I would not consider it at present.

Best regards
Erik

msstudio

So many things are going through my head. And the first is not to overspend and get a business going. Equipment will always change and upgrades are often helpful.
As for DMF, I do love the step up for so many reasons. While the P1 backs are outstanding, they are definitely an older generation. And yes, Hasselblad needs to catch up a bit, but I prefer a one manufacturer solution and the H6D50 delivers a nice bang for the buck. I honestly can't think of anything needing more pixels in the real world, the lenses, to me the most important part, are outstanding (ARRI rehoused them for their 65 system btw). And you get a leaf shutter, which makes a difference shooting strobe. I would keep my camera kit at a minimum (1 body 1 or 2 lenses) and make sure to have a suitable backup system (or buddy/rental house) for any jobs, etc. as you also need to beef up your lighting, grip, computer department and spend money on advertising your services, and don't forget insurance...
My personal kit for DMF needs consists of a H6D50 with 35-90 and X1D with 45 and 90 and a XH lens adapter, I shoot a lot around 50/60mm and 90 using whatever system is better for the job, often the H6 is first in line and the other body becomes the backup. For large jobs or when flexibility is needed we carry Nikon D850 and Z7 with lenses as an additional kit.