The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser and Upcoming Announcement

MrSmith

leaked pics on mirrorless rumours, a thicker body but no ibis 102 mp (same sensor as fuji) 4k video but no mention of pricing, changes to control layout or feature changes

P. Chong

If those rumors are right, looks like I will stay with X1D.

leaked pics on mirrorless rumours, a thicker body but no ibis 102 mp (same sensor as fuji) 4k video but no mention of pricing, changes to control layout or feature changes

gmfotografie

Hassi must bring a 100 mp X1D on the market otherweise the round goes to fuji ... and i think dji knows this.
Next thing is the software - phocus is not bad but c1 is far better.

I believe that the X1D MKII is an updated 50 MP version with some more features. End of 2019 or 2020 Hasselblad will present the 100 MP. So we have to wait ;)

tcdeveau

The teaser they posted today on social media is a portion of a lens. I wonder if they're finally going to announce the 35-75mm XCD?

hcubell

I believe that the X1D MKII is an updated 50 MP version with some more features. End of 2019 or 2020 Hasselblad will present the 100 MP. So we have to wait ;)
You may very well be right, but given Hasselblad's limited resources for money, R&D and engineering, it just seems bizarre to me that they would "invest" those resources in a camera using a sensor that represents 6-year old technology, particularly when FF cameras with 60-70MP and the latest sensor technology will likely be released in the Fall.

Geoff

"Count down with us to the next chapter of Hasselblad history."

Its hard to think a revised 50mp version fulfills this.

You may very well be right, but given Hasselblad's limited resources for money, R&D and engineering, it just seems bizarre to me that they would "invest" those resources in a camera using a sensor that represents 6-year old technology, particularly when FF cameras with 60-70MP and the latest sensor technology will likely be released in the Fall.
Yes, I agree, it is hard to believe. But this could be, because Hasselblad could shift first the X1D production to China due to lower costs and prices.

May be Hasselblad could announce a new CFV back with a modern electronic platform from X1D/H6D for the V fans? Thursday we are smarter! :)

onasj

My head says the same 50 MP sensor in the X1D is (by far) the most likely outcome for the X1D mark II, but my heart would love to see the 100 MP BSI sensor and is totally ready to invest in Hasselblad if they surprise us this way. I even have my target lenses picked out...

I guess we'll find out in 41 hours, not that I'm counting.

Boinger

I don't think it will be the 50MP sensor.

Simply due to the fact that there is no guaranty on how much longer Sony will produce that niche sensor. It might not be worth the time and effort for sony.

So for HB to reissue the X1D mkii with a 50 mp sensor would indicate rather poor thinking and use of money.

But I guess we will see in two days.

SrMphoto

I don't think it will be the 50MP sensor.

Simply due to the fact that there is no guaranty on how much longer Sony will produce that niche sensor. It might not be worth the time and effort for sony.

So for HB to reissue the X1D mkii with a 50 mp sensor would indicate rather poor thinking and use of money.

But I guess we will see in two days.
I would think that Fuji GFX 50S and 50R are going to be shipping for a while as well, the same sensor as X1D. IMO, there is definitely a market for 50Mp MF cameras. Since Hasselblad is apparently replacing X1D with a new model, I assume that it will be a 50Mp model. A 100Mp model should be offered in addition to a 50Mp model, IMO.

dave.gt

:watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:

For some reason I am enjoying the Hasselblad countdown clock!:thumbup:

Boinger

I would think that Fuji GFX 50S and 50R are going to be shipping for a while as well, the same sensor as X1D. IMO, there is definitely a market for 50Mp MF cameras. Since Hasselblad is apparently replacing X1D with a new model, I assume that it will be a 50Mp model. A 100Mp model should be offered in addition to a 50Mp model, IMO.
That isn't the question though.

It is a matter of how long Sony will keep the 50MP chip alive. It will take valuable resources and space to keep the 50MP chips running. I don't see sony keeping the 50MP chip alive considering it is now 6 years old. It just wouldn't make sense when you can divert those resources especially considering that you have an alternate more advanced chip now.

I would wager they are discontinuing the chip / already have.

In the modern age a 6 year old design is ancient.

Also, they cannot provide advanced features of cameras unless they move to a sensor with pdaf on chip or some work around.

So there are going to be some quibbles of the X1d they simply cannot do away with on the old chip.

SrMphoto

That isn't the question though.

It is a matter of how long Sony will keep the 50MP chip alive. It will take valuable resources and space to keep the 50MP chips running. I don't see sony keeping the 50MP chip alive considering it is now 6 years old. It just wouldn't make sense when you can divert those resources especially considering that you have an alternate more advanced chip now.

I would wager they are discontinuing the chip / already have.

In the modern age a 6 year old design is ancient.

Also, they cannot provide advanced features of cameras unless they move to a sensor with pdaf on chip or some work around.

So there are going to be some quibbles of the X1d they simply cannot do away with on the old chip.
As I wrote, Fuji is using the same 50Mp chip in their cameras, and they will likely be manufacturing them for a long while. I doubt Sony would pull the rug under Hasselblad and Fuji. While the chip design is old, the image quality it produces is at least as good as one of the latest sensors. OSPDAF has its issues; I prefer a CDAF (or DFD) camera in MF. BSI could help with readout speed, but not that much. I do not know what more you could get from the latest technology sensor?

richardman

It literally does not cost Sony anything to produce old sensors. All it needs is to find a fab that would manufacture the wafers...

Last edited: