The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

Godfrey

What is the advantage of using CFVII 50c with 500CM instead of using the included 907x and a V-mount adapter? Thanks!
Using a 500-series body will give you access to the mechanical leaf shutter in the lens, as well as an optical viewfinder with true waist-level viewing experience.
Yep! This is the fun part. I think for me the best is that you easily switch between both very quickly. If I need autofocus and the extra sharpness / resolution of the XCD lenses (or just a smaller package), then I will just pop the 907x on.
It expands your options to have both the XV Adapter and a 500 series body (with whatever viewfinder+screen works best for your eyes).

One nice thing about 907x with the XV Adapter for V system lenses comes when you use it with the Bracket XH (listed on BHPhoto as Hasselblad Tripod Mount Ring (75mm)). The bracket clamps around the XV Adapter unit and lets you easily rotate the 907x when on a tripod for vertical/horizontal orientation changes without needing to use an L bracket, where the 500 series bodies are a bit awkward to use when turned with the back in vertical orientation if you're using the optical viewfinder and the lens shutter.

Lots of options for different configurations and uses.

G

SrMphoto

It expands your options to have both the XV Adapter and a 500 series body (with whatever viewfinder+screen works best for your eyes).

One nice thing about 907x with the XV Adapter for V system lenses comes when you use it with the Bracket XH (listed on BHPhoto as Hasselblad Tripod Mount Ring (75mm)). The bracket clamps around the XV Adapter unit and lets you easily rotate the 907x when on a tripod for vertical/horizontal orientation changes without needing to use an L bracket, where the 500 series bodies are a bit awkward to use when turned with the back in vertical orientation if you're using the optical viewfinder and the lens shutter.

Lots of options for different configurations and uses.

G
Thank you for explaining. I so wish we still had Keeble & Shuchat (Palo Alto) where I could look at the used 500 bodies and ask them questions :(.

nameBrandon

Thank you for explaining. I so wish we still had Keeble & Shuchat (Palo Alto) where I could look at the used 500 bodies and ask them questions :(.
When mine comes in I'll let you know what I think of my eBay seller. I supposedly got a very clean 500C/M so we'll see what "very clean" means to this guy and if it's accurate, perhaps you can check his stock out. As much as I wanted a chrome one I knew the mis-match would bother me, so I did get a black one.

Godfrey

When mine comes in I'll let you know what I think of my eBay seller. I supposedly got a very clean 500C/M so we'll see what "very clean" means to this guy and if it's accurate, perhaps you can check his stock out. As much as I wanted a chrome one I knew the mis-match would bother me, so I did get a black one.
LOL! I already had the chrome 500CM. I bought the black one because I liked the way it would look with the CFVII 50c back from the 907x Special Edition on it. ...I've since put a chrome A12 back on it for a couple of rolls of film and it doesn't look bad, and put the digital back on the chrome one too. :)

Mine black one came from a seller in Japan and is in beautiful condition. It's a 1979 body, my chrome one is 1978 vintage, and both feel good/tight, and work very nicely. These are tough old beasties and if they haven't been brutalized by hard professional/wedding use, they'll likely work nearly forever.

G

anyone

These are tough old beasties and if they haven't been brutalized by hard professional/wedding use, they'll likely work nearly forever.

G
I second that. Also when they actually ARE used a lot, they are still holding up well. Mine has been backpacking with me now since about 15 years all over the world, and looks a bit beaten up, but still works like a charm. Out of sentimental reasons an exchange would be a no-go. :) Actually I bought a black one since I thought about it for an instant, but it sits mainly unused here.

SrMphoto

Appreciate that.
I am also not sure if I should rather look for a 503CW instead of 500CM.

med

Will a chrome CFV50-II be available at some point, or is it going to be black only?

I am rather attached to my chrome 500CM and would love to get a matching 907x and CFV50 (or 100!) if I end up going that route.

SrMphoto

nameBrandon

You can download the CVF II 50C manual here:

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/CFV-II-50C-User-Manual/1.0.0.0/CFV-II-50C-User-Guide.pdf

It shows a chrome version. It is not yet clear when it will be available (August 2020?).
I'm amazed they haven't announced it yet! I guess they must be getting close if stock is starting to get low on the special edition models.

I guess if I was a company selling these, I'd do something similar.. Sell out the special editions, then give it a month or two of nothing being available to build demand back up.

I wasn't really watching when the 4116 X1D came out, was there a delay between the 4116 special edition X1D and the regular X1D?

Speaking of.. if anyone knows of anyone selling a 4116 X1D.. please let me know. :)

Godfrey

I'm amazed they haven't announced it yet! I guess they must be getting close if stock is starting to get low on the special edition models.

I guess if I was a company selling these, I'd do something similar.. Sell out the special editions, then give it a month or two of nothing being available to build demand back up.

I wasn't really watching when the 4116 X1D came out, was there a delay between the 4116 special edition X1D and the regular X1D?

Speaking of.. if anyone knows of anyone selling a 4116 X1D.. please let me know. :)
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the X1D 4116 was released shortly after the standard X1D was available as a special edition finish set. One or two of them (I think a complete set and a body-only) were offered on this forum over the past year and some.

I might at some time obtain an X1D II, and it might at that time obviate nearly all my other hand-held shooting cameras. I'm that delighted by what I see out of the CVFII 50c and XCD / V system lenses. :)

G

nameBrandon

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the X1D 4116 was released shortly after the standard X1D was available as a special edition finish set. One or two of them (I think a complete set and a body-only) were offered on this forum over the past year and some.

I might at some time obtain an X1D II, and it might at that time obviate nearly all my other hand-held shooting cameras. I'm that delighted by what I see out of the CVFII 50c and XCD / V system lenses. :)

G
The only reason (IMO) to upgrade to an X1D II over the Mk I is the rear LCD. Significantly larger and more useful and responsive. I have them both at the moment (am going to sell one with the arrival of the 907x/cfvii50c) and if they had the same rear screen I would not even hesitate to sell the Mk II. There are speed improvements, etc.. for sure, but nothing to support ~2x the cost (at current pre-owned pricing). That being said.. that rear screen is pretty nice to have. I am confounded as to why they kept the Mk I screen on the CFV II.. but such is the ways of the Hasselblad.

If I can find a decent deal on the 4116 body, having a matching special edition pair 907x/cfvii50c and x1d Mk I would probably off-set my desire to keep the X1D II. We'll see if I can track one down or not..

Last edited:

Godfrey

The only reason (IMO) to upgrade to an X1D II over the Mk I is the rear LCD. Significantly larger and more useful and responsive. I have them both at the moment (am going to sell one with the arrival of the 907x/cfvii50c) and if they had the same rear screen I would not even hesitate to sell the Mk II. There are speed improvements, etc.. for sure, but nothing to support ~2x the cost (at current pre-owned pricing). That being said.. that rear screen is pretty nice to have. I am confounded as to why they kept the Mk I screen on the CFV II.. but such is the ways of the Hasselblad.

If I can find a decent deal on the 4116 body, having a matching special edition pair 907x/cfvii50c and x1d Mk I would probably off-set my desire to keep the X1D II. We'll see if I can track one down or not..
I could imagine the 907x would have been challenging to fit with a larger screen and keep the form factor compatible with the V system cameras without putting an ugly shape on the tail end of the back. There's not a lot more space in the bezel width-wise to work with.

At the current sub-$6000 price for the X1D II new (vs the original X1D price at $2-3K more), I'd just buy a new body if I could afford one, and get all the benefits of its larger screen, built in GPS, slightly more responsive performance, etc etc. It's a bit too new to get much discount on second hand units as yet... maybe next year or the year after. And maybe I can afford one then (after buying the XCD 80mm f/1.9 lens, of course ;))...!

G

JAB

Hello!

I have been following a number of threads in GetDPI for many months and have remained silent. Taking in many images and the variety of equipment used. Many talented people here! I think I have mentally spent $100k by now with all of the virtual purchases I’ve made with the help of those in this site. I am a retired engineer that has dabbled in photography since being a small boy. My main interest has been landscape and wildlife. Anything that gets me outside!

I’m jumping in the CFV II 50c forum since that is one of my current items I hope to purchase. I started my Hasselblad world back in 1992 with a 500 CM, 80mm, and 2 A12 magazines. Over the years I have added a 40mm, 50mm, 250mm, 350mm, and recently a 150mm. I’ve also added the 503CW to get the floating mirror for my telephotos as well as a flexbody. Sadly, I have spent the last 10+ years shooting Canon DSLRs and left my Hasselblad pretty much alone. I did add a CFV16 back in 2013 which I bought used that I have shot off and on. I have liked the images that come from that but I have had issues with temperature and tint bias. I have to slide the tint to ~64 to get the correct tint and the temperature a bit warmer via a ColorChecker. Once corrected, the images are really nice. I do have many slides that I have taken over the years of which I have digitized some using a Minolta Dimage ScanMultiPro. A project for my retirement, maybe with techniques described on other threads here. That all brings me to the 907x/CFV II 50c. I have debated heavily about the moon version but all of my bodies are chrome. My desire is the chrome since my obsessive tendencies cause the need to match!

I have thoroughly enjoyed the postings from Godfrey. His postings have helped me realize that the new body and back will be an excellent addition. I, like many others, continue to have high hope that Hasselblad will announce the chrome version soon. BTW, I think I will also add the 45p, at least!

The tripod thread has been very detrimental to my spending thoughts. I’ve been debating between the AS Cube and DP4. Does anyone know a marriage counselor?!

I hope to post some of my film shots and CFV16 “Fat Pixel” in the near future.

Sorry for the long post, but I am totally excited about getting more involved again in medium format. My Canon has been great, but I have been shooting way to fast and don’t spend enough time enjoying the outside and putting more into my photography.

Jeff

nameBrandon

OK, I give up.. AEL? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the manual.. I see "AEL" flash up on the display when metering an exposure, but can't figure out how to lock the exposure..

SrMphoto

OK, I give up.. AEL? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the manual.. I see "AEL" flash up on the display when metering an exposure, but can't figure out how to lock the exposure..
I don't think you can :(. The only way to "lock" exposure is to switch to M mode.

nameBrandon

I don't think you can :(. The only way to "lock" exposure is to switch to M mode.
Wow, that would be surprising, even for Hasselblad. You'd think we could program at least one of the buttons, like the star rating button.. it would be far more functional as AEL.. or.. anything else. :p

Godfrey

I hadn't really thought about it because I don't ordinarily use an exposure locking feature in Autoexposure mode, but that's correct: there is no toggle-able "lock and unlock" on the exposure setting as far as I can tell.

In the AE-Lock section* of the Exposure controls, I have the Quick Adjust feature enabled and the Reset After Exposure setting disabled. In, say, Aperture priority Auto mode, this enables me to use the control dial to set aperture, and the shift-control dial** to set EV compensation. The EV Compensation setting is held until I reset it.

Without the Quick Adjust feature enabled, the control dial cannot be used to set EV compensation and you have to use the touch screen. With Reset After Exposure enabled, a Quick Adjust setting is lost after an exposure.

* I think the name of the section is inappropriate ... It's not "AE-Lock" but "Control-dial Settings". There is no AE-Lock in the traditional sense, far as I can tell. You manipulate autoexposure modes using EV Compensation. In this regard it's like the Nikon 35TI I once owned: either EV Compensation on autoexposure or Manual exposure settings.

** You get 'shift-control dial' by holding the silver button on the side of the camera, above the control dial, while turning the control dial. In different modes, it does different things: Aperture/Shutter/Program modes, it does EV compensation; Manual exposure, it does shutter time. The control dial itself does program-shift in Program mode.

G

SrMphoto

Wow, that would be surprising, even for Hasselblad. You'd think we could program at least one of the buttons, like the star rating button.. it would be far more functional as AEL.. or.. anything else. :p
I do not use AE-L. When I need full control of exposure I switch to manual mode.

On the other hand, I am missing a way to decouple auto-focus from the shutter, either with BBF (e.g., using star rating button) or trough touch focusing. This would allow me to quickly auto-focus and then fine-tune manually if necessary at all. I think that I will be using MF most of the time.

Godfrey

I do not use AE-L. When I need full control of exposure I switch to manual mode.

On the other hand, I am missing a way to decouple auto-focus from the shutter, either with BBF (e.g., using star rating button) or trough touch focusing. This would allow me to quickly auto-focus and then fine-tune manually if necessary at all. I think that I will be using MF most of the time.
I normally operate the same way.

But I sometimes find that when I'm in a situation where the lighting is variable but always offset a consistent amount from the 'normal' setting (say if you're in a white interior room with a lot of light and a wide lens), I'll use Auto exposure but with an EV Compensation value dialed in and locked. That lets me take a number of photos of slightly different exposure needs with a consistent offset to the exposure setting more easily than having to adjust manual exposure for every shot.

I often use AF temporarily, even hand held, and then MF to finish: Press shutter release and let the camera focus, then use the touch screen to switch to MF and fine tune by hand. Once you get the rhythm of it, it's very quick to do that and almost as quick as using a separate focus button (for me anyway). But I usually prefer Manual Focus anyway... being a bit of a control freak. :)

G

nameBrandon

OK, got one hurdle out the way..

500C/M + V-lenses + macro tubes syncing with mechanical shutter / studio flashes, all dumping into my laptop running Phocus..

Nothing special, just a test shot of my Sony camera strap, but pretty awesome to see at 100%.. This was with the 80mm CF + 92mm of extension tubes.

Full frame

100% crop

Should've grabbed a shot of the setup, will do that next time.