The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

vieri

Thanks Vieri,

The short answer is that in my normal use I’ve been very happy with them. That said, I’m a bit embarrassed to add, that I haven’t done any formal, or informal, testing of theses lenses. I will say that the recent postings of your lens tests has been inspiring so time willing I might try to quantify my experience a bit.

Although it took me a while, I think I’ve finally learned that usability trumps exceptional quality, for me, most of the time. I have no doubt that the XCD lenses exceed the Xpan lenses in every way, well expect for weight and size. I have a 5 day backpack trip to Mt Robson in British Columbia next month and the 2 or so pounds the Xpan kit saves is hugely significant. ;)

I won’t hijack this post any further but let me know if you’d like me to send you some files.

Cheers, Bill
Thank you very much Bill, that is much appreciated. Like you, I backpack a lot, and weight / bulk saving is of importance to me. As well, I do landscape only, so if the lenses are great between f/8 - f/16 it's enough for me. Third, I'd love to have a "real" manual focusing lens with a distance scale on it.

Possible downsides, image quality aside: the X-Pan lenses are probably not weather sealed; you'd have to open them up and stop them down to use them (especially in low light), which is a pain; and electronic shutter might create some problem if I had to photograph something that moves faster than what I normally shoot (which happens, sometimes).

Not to mention that they are not readily available. I wish I hadn't sold my X-Pan kit years ago.

Best regards,

Vieri

leejo

Well I'm glad my original optimism on the price point wasn't far off. If we assume a special edition markup + the cost of the 907X body then the CFV II 50c is going to be in the same price area as the X1D II. Perhaps cheaper. Again, I'm going to speculate that they still haven't announced the price of the back on its own for fear of affecting sales of both the X1D II and this special edition.

My only minor disappointment is revealed in the spec sheet, which can be found on the Hasselblad site - the back still requires modification of the 200 series bodies to use F/FE lenses with it. Given the electronic shutter, and that this back and the X1D can be used with shutter free lenses like the XPan ones, I guess the problem is the focal plane shutter and/or the limited x-sync in the 200 series bodies.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Just had a look again to the HASSELBLAD ONLINE STORE .
The special edition price is 7800 € . This is without the lens . The lens is about 3500€ . So you end up at 11.300 € .
This is when you buy directly at the HASSELBLAD STORE . The price might be slightly different at your dealer .
Also I think the dealer price in the U.S. might be very different .

Godfrey

I only really need one lens in addition to what I have in Hasselblad V system lenses already ... The back used with my 500CM and 50/80/120/150 lenses will do fine, the same lenses used on the 907x with the Hasselblad XV Adapter will also do just fine. Never mind that I can also buy a Leica R to Hasselblad X adapter and fit any of my R lenses too. So the $4000 XCD 21mm f/4 is the only lens I'm planning to buy, at present, and I don't have to buy it at the same time as the Special Edition.

I see the 907x/CFV50cII as a larger format, higher resolution "universal body" much the way I see the Leica CL in this regard. It maximizes the value of the equipment (lenses and lens accessories) I already have for digital capture use while retaining the ability to use film with the same lens kit in the older bodies. For that reason, it is worth it to let go of some other less-used equipment that has high value in order to acquire it. :)

G

Thank you very much Bill, that is much appreciated. Like you, I backpack a lot, and weight / bulk saving is of importance to me. As well, I do landscape only, so if the lenses are great between f/8 - f/16 it's enough for me. Third, I'd love to have a "real" manual focusing lens with a distance scale on it.

Possible downsides, image quality aside: the X-Pan lenses are probably not weather sealed; you'd have to open them up and stop them down to use them (especially in low light), which is a pain; and electronic shutter might create some problem if I had to photograph something that moves faster than what I normally shoot (which happens, sometimes).

Not to mention that they are not readily available. I wish I hadn't sold my X-Pan kit years ago.

Best regards,

Vieri
All your points are very valid and I might be the only one who routinely uses the Hasselblad Xpan adapter and Xpan lenses. One additional negative is that the interface between the adapter and the Xpan lenses isn't light tight, so definitely not weather sealed. I have a simple solution to the light leaks but weather would still be an issue. As far as stop down focusing, that's become second nature to me and I don't find it a hindrance at all. And the true manual focus lenses are a joy to use. Especially with filters as I'm sure you can appreciate. I must be in the minority in that auto focus doesn't add a thing to my workflow for either landscapes or architecture. Hopefully I can find the time to quantify the quality of the Xpan lenses on the 50mp sensor.

So far, for the types of subjects I usually shoot, the electronic shutter seems to be performing great. But to be fair most all of my images are captured from a tripod. This would be typical the landscape images I take using the X1D and Xpan lenses.

South Light - Fair Isle South Lighthouse - Scotland United Kingdom - BillEvansPhotography.net.jpg

Cheers, Bill

vieri

All your points are very valid and I might be the only one who routinely uses the Hasselblad Xpan adapter and Xpan lenses. One additional negative is that the interface between the adapter and the Xpan lenses isn't light tight, so definitely not weather sealed. I have a simple solution to the light leaks but weather would still be an issue. As far as stop down focusing, that's become second nature to me and I don't find it a hindrance at all. And the true manual focus lenses are a joy to use. Especially with filters as I'm sure you can appreciate. I must be in the minority in that auto focus doesn't add a thing to my workflow for either landscapes or architecture. Hopefully I can find the time to quantify the quality of the Xpan lenses on the 50mp sensor.

So far, for the types of subjects I usually shoot, the electronic shutter seems to be performing great. But to be fair most all of my images are captured from a tripod. This would be typical the landscape images I take using the X1D and Xpan lenses.

View attachment 143037

Cheers, Bill
Bill,

thank you very much for your message and for expanding on the subject. One thing you said left me a bit worried:

"One additional negative is that the interface between the adapter and the Xpan lenses isn't light tight,"

might I ask you if you are using Hasselblad's own adapter or a third-party one? As well, have you contacted the adapter's manufacturer to report this, and if so what did they tell you? That is puzzling to hear, adapters often have a little play or something like that, but not being light-tight seems to be a major problem for something made to take photos :)

Best regards,

Vieri

vieri

Adapters are notorious for light leaks. Always check them first by taking a long exposure with the lens completely covered.

Joe
Joe,

that's sadly true. I had pretty good luck with Leica's own L-M adapters to use M lenses on the SL, which were very tight almost to the point of being hard to use. My X1D to Leica M adapter (Novoflex) is less tight, the lens has a little play but at least it's light-tight.

Best regards,

Vieri

Godfrey

Joe,

that's sadly true. I had pretty good luck with Leica's own L-M adapters to use M lenses on the SL, which were very tight almost to the point of being hard to use. My X1D to Leica M adapter (Novoflex) is less tight, the lens has a little play but at least it's light-tight.

Best regards,

Vieri
I had to send the first M Adapter L back as it was actually too tight: I refused to force it so hard. The replacement they sent me fit snugly and precisely. Neither of my M Adapter L or R Adapter M has ever shown a light leak. Rayqual and Novoflex adapters have been very good too.

The Rayqual and Leica adapters so far have been the closest to the original mount registration spec, where the others are usually a few tenths of a mm short.

G

Bill,

thank you very much for your message and for expanding on the subject. One thing you said left me a bit worried:

"One additional negative is that the interface between the adapter and the Xpan lenses isn't light tight,"

might I ask you if you are using Hasselblad's own adapter or a third-party one? As well, have you contacted the adapter's manufacturer to report this, and if so what did they tell you? That is puzzling to hear, adapters often have a little play or something like that, but not being light-tight seems to be a major problem for something made to take photos :)

Best regards,

Vieri
I have the Hasselblad adapter. I started with the Kipon and it was a mess but the Hassy is nice. My simple solution for leaks between the adapter and the Xpan lens is "hair bands" that I keep on each lens and just roll down to the adapter interface. Take 10 time longer to type than to use. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic.

-  - BillEvansPhotography.net.jpg

I also carry a few LumiQuest velco flash gel straps as backups.

Bill

Grayhand

The special edition 907x and CFVII is a highly interesting camera.
And for an surprisingly low price. This was the tiny sum I paid for just one of the last CFV50C sold by a dealer here in Sweden.
And it is a special tool!
To paraphrase and old saying: If you have to ask what your gona use the camera for, then it is not for you

But I am not so sure that it really is wort the work with adapters and old lenses.
I have tested some Hassy V-lenses on my GFX(r) system and was just disappointed.
I also have tested my Xpan lenses and for me the Fuji lenses are better.
I have no experience of the X1D-lenses, but I suspect that they are in the same class as the lenses for the Fuji system.

I have wasted pathological amounts of money on old lenses that I have tested on different digital cameras.
Only to end up with the insight that for me its just more fun using the old system separated from the new one.
When I want the special signature of the old lenses, I use them on my old cameras.
But that just me, and I truly hope that others come to different conclusions, its much more fun that way.

It is much more fun now to hunt for matching accessories for you old cameras.
I have got me a matching camera bag for my SWC503 with the CFV50C and some filmbacks.
An matching all European kit!

Ray

rayyen

Thx for your post, have you compare the xpan90 and the xcd90? I want to know the difference, if any?

Ops, I’ve got same question & feedback when I read all the post above. Thanks everyone.

I completely agree with most all of the reasons that
the new Hasselblad CFV ii 50C and 907X are exciting. And I'm also very anxious to use it alongside my Hasselblad film kit. But for me it adds another potential win, being small and lightweight. I currently backpack with my X1D and a small kit of 3 Xpan lenses. This combined with a Gitzo traveler tripod is about 8 1/2 pounds. I absolutely love the X1D and sometimes feel that it was custom made for me and my type of long exposure landscape photography. I would only have two minor issues with it. First I'd love a tilt screen and second, I rarely use the viewfinder. So yea the new CFV is exciting. Provided the price is right.

View attachment 142957

I am also hopeful that the pricing will be in line with the new X1D since I'm more likely to upgrade to the CFV that the X1D2. Fingers crossed.

rayyen

I’ve been using my 4116 day one till now, I’m Loving it and have no plan to upgrade to X1D2. However, after a little struggle, I place an order to the CFV2 set last night. I miss my V system and I particularly fond of using my 100mm. But I’ve heard many say the old lens perform terribly on digital back. I mainly do landscape, I think X1D serves me very well with the present lens system line up.
Would anyone has the same problem as I do?

jng

I’ve been using my 4116 day one till now, I’m Loving it and have no plan to upgrade to X1D2. However, after a little struggle, I place an order to the CFV2 set last night. I miss my V system and I particularly fond of using my 100mm. But I’ve heard many say the old lens perform terribly on digital back. I mainly do landscape, I think X1D serves me very well with the present lens system line up.
Would anyone has the same problem as I do?
In terms of pixel-peeping image quality, the newer lenses are probably better over all. However some (but not all) of the old V system Zeiss lenses are excellent and retain that je ne sais quoi Zeiss magic when used on high-resolution MF sensors, at least to my eyes. Carefully chosen, these old lenses (and you) can gain a new life via adapters if you already happen to own them. The few hundred bucks to buy an adapter is a bargain, especially in these inner circles of Dante's Inferno. All this assumes you can work within the limitations of the electronic shutter.

From my own experience, I am quite happy using my CF 100/3.5 Planar on the X1D and IQ3100. The 250 Superachromat is simply spectacular both in terms of sharpness and essentially undetectable chromatic aberrations. Further in the tele range, the 350 Tele-Tessar has meh resolution and pretty dramatic purple fringing. I sold that one off but not before making some nice images with it that made it to the wall. I've also owned the 40 IF/CFE (touted to be the sharpest lens in the entire collection of V system lenses), which I found to be close in sharpness to the XCD 45 (and a little wider) but with just a touch more CA than the newer lens. I reluctantly sold it as using this monster on the X1D just didn't make much sense given the native XCD 45 and my conversion to a tech cam outfitted with the Rodie 40HR. The mid-range tele's (150 and 180 Sonnars) are also excellent but not as well corrected for CA as the newer designs. Among the macro lenses, the 120/4 and 135/5.6 Macro Planars are quite good; my favorite is the older 120/5.6 S-Planar. I'm guessing that none of these come close to the XCD 120 macro in terms of sharpness but then again they can be found for a small fraction of the price. The bottom line for me is that the older V lenses can be a nice (and mostly cheaper) way to fill in gaps in the lens lineup, which is a bit less of an issue now that Hasselblad has expanded their offerings. YMMV, of course.

John

Shashin

But I’ve heard many say the old lens perform terribly on digital back.
This was an often stated claim when Pentax released the 645D. Yes, some of the old Pentax lenses do not do well, but many of them do. Two of my sharpest are the old A-series manual focus lenses: A35mm and A120mm macro. I would imagine that 100mm lens is going to be worth trying.

vieri

This was an often stated claim when Pentax released the 645D. Yes, some of the old Pentax lenses do not do well, but many of them do. Two of my sharpest are the old A-series manual focus lenses: A35mm and A120mm macro. I would imagine that 100mm lens is going to be worth trying.
Hello Will,

I think the problem with old Pentax 645 lenses was twofold: some of the lenses were not up to the 50 MP sensor, and many suffered from either QC problems or from the unkind effects of time. I.e., my (two) 35mm were both horribly decentered, so soft on one corner to the point of being useless. I think that's a common risk with older lenses, you definitely need to look for good samples and keep them close when you find them. Another problem is, here in Italy it was very difficult to have these lens serviced effectively - meaning, I sent one to be fixed, and it came back identically decentered but with a bill attached :ROTFL:

Best regards,

Vieri

anyone

If you are thinking whether or not to use the V-lenses digitally, I can comment with a P45+ (39mp) back:

SWC/M // very good
CF 40mm // not so good
CF 50mm + CF 50mm FLE // I find both lenses equally sharp, the FLE a little bit better. Both are up to the task. I will sell the CF 50mm, since I don't need them both.
CF 60mm // especially good
CF 80mm // very good
CF 100mm // especially good
CF 120mm // very good
CF 180mm // especially good
CF 250mm // good*
CF 250mm Superachromat // especially good*
CFE 350mm Superachromat // especially good

* To the 250mm: I find my 250 Superachromat very difficult to use, as it does not have an infinity stop. And the sharpness layer is thin. Often, I get better results with my 250mm, even though it's "just" good, since I will get accurate focus. But IF I'm able to focus the 250 Superachromat, it's possibly my sharpest tele.

Without hesitation, I would use also a 50mp sensor on the "especially good" lenses. And my "digital SWC" is and would be the original one :) Even though LCC is necessary, but for me not a problem. It is same time useful to remove dust and set accurate WB, so it saves a lot of time later.

rayyen

Thanks to all valuable sharing.
My first digital back was P25+ and then P45+, IQ260, mostly on Alpa Max with Rodie HR lens. Before HB announce X1D, I even buy back a P25+ To use with my 500c with my favorite C100 & C250SA. I enjoy it very much until HB announce the X1D. I sold almost everything after I got 4116. I bought a few Pentax67 lens, they are dirt cheap with pleasing quality, but when I go out, I always go with native XCD lens, I must say the present Xcd120 and 90 are my favorite. But I still enjoy very much using the full mechanical 500 series body. I guess it’s more a mental thing than chasing pixel.

Side story, I want to have a Leica Monochrom with the size of the present M10 and without the standard LCD screen like MD. It’s a connection. I guess it works for me.