The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 - Feature Update 1

JimKasson

Re: Gaps an issue?

As usual, your brilliance shines through in this article!
<blush>

But that you wrote a MatLab routine to automate the combination of files in post perfectly illustrates why a simple/fast/powerful/native implementation of frame averaging is such a game changer.
If there's any interest, I can post a recipe for how to do it in Photoshop, which offers median, too.

Jim

JimKasson

GFX implementation

"Pick near, pick far, pick step size, let number of captures fall where it may" still doesn't account for changing apertures or changing magnification range on a given lens.
It does in the GFX implementation. Step sizes are constant CoC diameters apart even as the distance and the aperture changes.

Jim

drunkenspyder

I enthusiastically accept this correction. CAPCam absolutely did do this and deserve an equal mention alongside the XF.

It reinforces my thesis for "who you are targeting determines what you do" regarding camera development. Obviously CAPCam is not targeting nostalgia, fashion, brand-building, or casual users; they are razor focused on a specific kind of user for whom this capability is very useful.

I hadn't seen this [the Panasonic implementation], but this implementation is not remotely close to something I could imagine one of our studio clients using in a production environment.
Yeah, no kidding. And not just studio clients. I shoot landscape and travel primarily. While I think the Panny implementation and UI is impressive in camera, the output is not good enough. Now, maybe RAW saving is coming, which will make it more impressive. For now, it sure beats heck out of a Lytro. :p

As for CAPCam, yes, superb instrument. Not a field solution. Neither [nor any other pretender like Nikon] does what Phase has done: easy-to-use, sophisticated, maximum IQ implementation in an otherwise general purpose camera.

SrMphoto

You get a 4-shot version of it with pixel shift shooting in the a7RIII, but you need to process four captures in post.

https://blog.kasson.com/a7riii/sony-a7riii-pixel-shift-real-world-false-colors-and-dynamic-range/

Jim
I do not think that multi-shot/pixel-shift/etc. has the same purpose as multiple exposure with averaging of images. Multiple exposures with averaging are almost designed for capturing things in motions (ND filter simulation), pixel shift techniques have problems with things in motion.

Nikon can do max ten images, and Phase One does max 1000 images. True, you can simulate the effect in post by taking a hundred of images and stacking them in PS. That is almost as bothersome as focus stacking ;-), but with focus stacking you need the flexibility in the post.

JimKasson

I do not think that multi-shot/pixel-shift/etc. has the same purpose as multiple exposure with averaging of images. Multiple exposures with averaging are almost designed for capturing things in motions (ND filter simulation), pixel shift techniques have problems with things in motion.
Good point. And the focus shift motion artifacts are pretty ugly.

onasj

Also, since it's been a while since my last plea... can we please get the ability to map the ES shutter release on the IQ4 to a physical button, rather than the highly cumbersome swipe right (obscuring a good chunk of your image!) then pressing the virtual button on the screen? Using the ES with the XF body is so much easier and more nimble since the physical shutter release button still works with the ES. It would be nice if the IQ4 back alone during tech camera use also don't require use to slide open the virtual shutter release button.

Paul2660

You could also get the 99.00 remote, I prefer a remote for ES anyway as it's too easy to give the back a slight amount of vibration when touching the screen to fire the ES with longer shutter speeds at least for me.

The Bob also works, but costs much more. The Bob has the exact same feel as the release on the XF however.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You could also get the 99.00 remote, I prefer a remote for ES anyway as it's too easy to give the back a slight amount of vibration when touching the screen to fire the ES with longer shutter speeds at least for me.

The Bob also works, but costs much more. The Bob has the exact same feel as the release on the XF however.

Paul C
For careful tripod shooting I agree with you. But in the case you want to shoot a tech camera hand held a hard button on the camera would be better. It’s a niche use case, but it’s also a pretty minor request.

We will continue to advocate for it.

Paul2660

Missed the hand held part of the question. For sure in that usage the button as previously requested makes good sense for sure.

Paul C

Paul2660

Thanks to DT for the 50 iso raws. After downloading and really going over the seashore shot, the results are both interesting and impressive.

The seagulls in flight are gone, as are the objects (foam cluster) on the water in the averaged shot. The color appears more pleasing to the eye also. As for noise, yes, the darker cliffs do show better in the frame averaged shot, however what catches me eye is the fact of how much more shadow gradient is available. The noise is less also, but the shadows show more color if that is possible. The water also takes on a more pleasing color but not sure that was something done in post. Adding a bit of sharpening with Topaz really pulls the darker cliffs out for more details, and no noise.

The sky, clouds and blue are both much more pleasing in the frame averaged shot.

This subject is pretty static, no trees no leaves moving. Only the gulls and they are taken out. I do wonder however what the effect would be in one of my average 1 second to 10/20 shots where tree/leaves are moving. In the past, I have pushed ISO up to 200/400 to allow for a faster shutter speed in the 1/125 to 1/500 range to stop the motion of the leaves, then go back to ND's to allow for the longer shutter speed to slow down water. It will be interesting to see if this tool can work with a tree with leaves in motion or if those leaves will just disappear? like the gulls did. If that is the case I can still see using the tool to pull up shadow details in parts of the image, then blend the averaged image back to another image in post.

Sunrise, Sunsets with very little wind, this tool would really be opening some doors for sure, especially is the scene has a lot of static subject matter like in the examples.

Paul C

onasj

Does the $99 remote work with the IQ4 back as a tech cam (and no XF body)? It's listed as an XF remote. If there is a remote that works with the IQ4 alone, I'd be interested!

Thanks!

Paul2660

Does the $99 remote work with the IQ4 back as a tech cam (and no XF body)? It's listed as an XF remote. If there is a remote that works with the IQ4 alone, I'd be interested!

Thanks!
Yes. P1 now has standardized on the 12 pin connector which started with the XF.
The IQ4 has same 12 pin. So the Hahhel (I can’t spell it) or the Bob both work.

The Bob is overpriced but gives you more options a short or long cable. I use the Bob with the short 6 inch cable and really like it.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Thanks!
My bad. I thought we had updated the description of this...

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/hahnel-remote-shutter-release-pro-for-xf/

It triggers the IQ4 as well as any XF+IQ as of one of the smaller IQ4 firmware updates.

Will update the description on the website that as soon as my daughter finishes this bottle.

onasj

My bad. I thought we had updated the description of this...

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/hahnel-remote-shutter-release-pro-for-xf/

It triggers the IQ4 as well as any XF+IQ as of one of the smaller IQ4 firmware updates.

Will update the description on the website that as soon as my daughter finishes this bottle.
Thanks, Doug! Ordered.
PS: the DT store website appears to have a bug that prevents me from logging in—it keeps telling me I have to prove I'm not a robot even though I'm just logging in and I clicked the captcha box. Then again a few others have made the same request of me, so maybe it's just me.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks, Doug! Ordered.
PS: the DT store website appears to have a bug that prevents me from logging in—it keeps telling me I have to prove I'm not a robot even though I'm just logging in and I clicked the captcha box. Then again a few others have made the same request of me, so maybe it's just me.
Will pass that on to our web team. Thanks!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’m extremely disappointed to hear that Phase One is spending time working on shiny new features while they apparently can’t figure out some basic foundational features (ad hoc wifi, focus mask, etc.). I am more and more worried that they’ve lost their way and are unfortunately becoming a company we can’t rely on.

(I do prefer to think they can’t figure it out versus just don’t want to work on it. Incompetence can be fixed, corporate arrogance is a bigger issue.)
While I understand your point of view, and while I sorely miss capture pilot on my iPhone when in the field, this feature was the main reason I upgraded, and I’ve managed just fine with the back so far despite it’s limitations.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

Paul C
yep, remote cable works great on a tech cam.