The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with infrared photography

davidsuchoff

Hopefully someone can clear up my confusion. I’d like to experiment with IR photography but don’t want to modify my camera. I’ve read conflicting reports that you can or cannot utilize an 830nm filter on an unmodified camera. How is it possible to use an 830nm filter on a digital camera (in my case a Fuji gfx 50s) that has an ir filter built in?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

Don Libby

The short answer is yes you can. There's a slightly longer answer to follow...

Using an IR filter is very much like using any other filter with the exception that unless the camera (any camera) is specifically converted to capture IR then you'll be faced with slower/longer shutter speeds which mean that you'll be forced to shoot on a tripod. The longer shutter speeds will also mean a blur in the clouds and anything else that might have some movement.

A converted camera can be used handheld much the same as it was prior to the conversion. The non converted camera will offer near same results but will take much longer shutter speeds.

You'll also need to be aware that some lenses create what is called a "hot-spot" or bloom of light in the center and can be found on both converted and non-converted cameras.

The non-converted camera will also need to be focused manually without the IR filter attached then switched to manual to keep the focus point. Just focus, install the filter and using a remote shutter snap the image.

I've shot non-converted IR images using mirrorless as well as medium format systems with great results. I've also converted mirror and mirrorless cameras using various IR with even better results. The best platform to us in IR is a mirrorless camera as you see what the sensor sees as you are composing the frame.

So the longer answer is yes, you can use a 830nm or any IR filter on a GFX. I know because I've done it.

Best of luck and welcome to the IR world!

Don