The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using the Fuji 50R to Shoot Steam Engines in Winter

algrove

Lou - superb!

I've looked at attending the Ely Steam workshop before but your winter experience looks even more fabulous!
Graham
I was hoping for good snows for the photo shoot since for the last 4-5 years there had been no snow in February during these events. So I rented a 4x4 for the drive from Las Vegas to Ely. Once off I-15 the going continually got worse and worse until there was 8-12" of fresh snow on the 2 lane road with white out and blizzard conditions. With one eye that made for treacherous driving conditions and every snow plow on the road was going in the opposite direction. For 100 miles I was hugging the rumble strips in the middle of the road so I would not end up in a ditch. I saw 3 cars total so at least I knew I wasn't the only crazy on the road, but I was the only one heading into the storm as the other cars were heading South and away from the storm!

Once in Ely the snow as so overpowering many participants had to call tow trucks just to get out of the parking area down by the engine house.

At least I got my wish for snow.

Jeffrey

I shot at the Museum's workshop one time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. There was minimal snowfall the year I went to the Museum. Nothing like Lou encountered.

I'm considering returning to the Museum for their annual photographer event, typically held in February.

Great images, Lou!

Jeffrey

D&A

Lou, your photo essay of superb imagery along with a informative and we'll written narative is very inspiring. Really loved it. The snow really was icing on the cake. Well done.

Your story of driving during the snowstorm reminded me of my 1st visit to Colorado many years ago when I landed in Denver at midnight and took a rental car up I70 into the mountains. An hour later I found myself in blizzard/whiteout conditions and couldn't see the road nor anything 12 inches in front of me. i crawled at 15 MPH with 18 wheelers flying by me. When halfway to my destination I reached the famed Eisenhower Tunnel and once entered, didn't want to leave. The tunnel as long as it was, ended too soon and continued at a turtles pace with other cars down ravines. All I saw were gigantic forboding shadows on both sides of highway, not realizing they were mountains close by. The blizzard stopped just as I reached my destination as the sun was just rising on a beautiful morning. The normally 2 hour drive took 7 plus hrs. I'll never forget the feeling of horror that night. You have my admiration.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Just so you guys know there was also a one week photo workshop after the second 3 day weekend shoot. It's worth checking out their website for dates.

I stand corrected as I now see in 2020 a 4 day photo workshop is prior to the two photo shoot weekends.

https://nnry.com/pages/calendarall.php

dave.gt

Lou,

As you already know, I think the article is great! GREAT EXPERIENCE, GREAT PHOTOS!:thumbs:

It is amazing that anyone can actually take some training, pass an exam and become a steam locomotive engineer! Too cool! Thanks for sharing this story.:toocool:

Jeffrey

Lou:

Maybe so that you were a steam locomotive engineer for a few hours, but having shot photos with you and knowing your level of knowledge and excellence in photography I'm reasonably certain you were one of the finest guest engineers ever to operate a steam locomotive at the Museum.

You are correct in saying it is worth being on site at 6:00 am to watch the staff light off the fire box to turn water into steam that in a few hours powers the locomotive. The Museum is an amazing experience and is a visual feast for any photographer. I think Graham and I will brave the cold weather and go shoot the steam locomotives again. Too much fun!!!

algrove

K-H

It was hard not to get great shots when the snow was all over the place. Steam and snow make it work. BTW, that 50R was an amazing camera for this adventure even though I was basically using it similar to how I shoot my M's except I got to position the AF point wherever I wanted and rapidly what with moving locomotives and always changing compositions.

algrove

Thanks Lou. Great article and images. Such dedication. :thumbs:
I didn’t know one could study and qualify and actually drive a steam locomotive. :shocked:

My favorite of your images.

Thanks for the many positive comments. I loved doing the article.

algrove

I have had the question asked if the trains stopped while we were shooting. The answer is no, but even 15mph out on the mainline is fast at times so the AF was indispensable.

This shot of the two locomotives was shot while they were approaching me at around 5-6mph so I had enough time to get out of the way of the steam which can render a camera imperative momentarily if you do not watch out. I know from experience.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Ha! I would love to do this!

Lou,

Again, this was a great article and terrific images. Thanks for sharing.:thumbs: