The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z lens roadmap

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's the only "real" shot I took with it before packing it up, to check color, rendition, bokeh, etc. As you can see from the crop, it's an excellent lens. ISO 64, f/1.8 1/15s handheld. Not the best light or anything. I think the performance is absolutely stellar for a 20mm lens at f/1.8. The left side performance was very close to center, while the right side had a nasty "fuzz" to it. Bokeh looks okay, should be workable. (This is a visually cluttered subject, so I think it'll be just fine.) Can't wait to get my hands on one that performs across the frame. And, yes, there is slight chromatic aberration in high contrast lines, especially around the plane of focus, but it's not particularly severe.

BTW, I screwed up the crop. I meant to make it 1100px wide but made it 1100px tall, and it gets downsized when inlined like this. Right click on it and open the image in a new tab to see it at 100% for the full pixel peep!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, there is a new 1.01 FW update for the 24-70 f4 lens. Resets aperture values and apparently improves exposure consistency. I installed it and it went seamlessly -- took all of 30 seconds. Have not shot enough with it to say I notice a difference.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I ordered a Nikkor S 2.8/24-70 together with the Nikon Z7 last week, as we have some great discounts going on here in Austria. I could not be more happy ;):D:cool:

Camera and lens should arrive in the next weeks.

Figured out from tons of Youtube videos and reviews that the 2.8/24-70 S is one of the best if not the best available today for mirrorless cameras.

Looking forward to this combo and being back in FF territory again after so many years exclusively shooting m43 Olympus. I will keep my Olympus gear as prices for used m43 gear are pretty much down in these times and also for when I really need long reach with minimal weight.

I am sure I will really enjoy to be back in Nikon FF land and will keep you updated on my journey ....

I am planning to add some of the really excellent 1.8 S prime lenses later as well as the 100-400 that should arrive till 2021 :thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a Nikkor S 2.8/24-70 together with the Nikon Z7 last week, as we have some great discounts going on here in Austria. I could not be more happy ;):D:cool:

Figured out from tons of Youtube videos and reviews that the 2.8/24-70 S is one of the best if not the best available today for mirrorless cameras.

Looking forward to this combo and being back in FF territory again after so many years exclusively shooting m43 Olympus. I will keep my Olympus gear as prices for used m43 gear are pretty much down in these times and also for when I really need long reach with minimal weight.

I am sure I will really enjoy to be back in Nikon FF land and will keep you updated on my journey ....

I am planning to add some of the really excellent 1.8 S prime lenses later as well as the 100-400 that should arrive till 2021 :thumbup:
Congratulations! It is an outstanding combo!

tcdeveau

Nikonrumors.com published yesterday it’s rumored the 50mm f1.2S and 14-24mm 2.8S could be announced/released at the end of the month. Heres to hoping they’re right :cool:

jduncan

Nikonrumors.com published yesterday it’s rumored the 50mm f1.2S and 14-24mm 2.8S could be announced/released at the end of the month. Heres to hoping they’re right :cool:
I hope is true and the 50 is not gigantic.
I don't understand why the 85mm 1.2 is not even in the roadmap.

Best regards,

Dustbak

I hope is true and the 50 is not gigantic.
I don't understand why the 85mm 1.2 is not even in the roadmap.

Best regards,

From the shown images the 50/1.2 is quite a bit larger than the 24-70/2.8. I would say for a 50 it is huge, it better be magical :)

tcdeveau

Yeah “lens size” does not appear to be a variable they were trying to optimize during lens development with the 50 1.2. Agree fully it better be magical and darn near perfect for the size!

Also have no clue why a faster 85mm (faster than the current 1.8) isn’t on the roadmap. I’m in need of portrait lenses and have been unsure of whether to get the 58/85mm 1.4 f-mount lenses and adapt, wait for the 50 1.2 and get the 85 1.8 too, or pick up a canon Eos R for the 85 1.2 RF, or.....?? I really like the Z bodies but need native lens selection/availability to expand.

I worry a little about the availability of the lenses once announced. The 70-200mm 2.8 S still isn’t shipping AFAIK :( they’ve had delays and that was before the virus situation.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I picked up my Z7 and the 2.8/24-70 today and I am VERY HAPPY! Will share some images as soon as I have something slothful sharing for public.

Anyway I am surprised how far I got sucked into m43 and the larger DOF now with 2.8 and 70 I am almost overwhelmed by the shallow DOF - which I was completely used to several years ago but now I am staring to appreciate it again.

Having said that - I now have the feeling that 1.8 in some primes will be all I need - so not sure if I will even consider that 1.2/50.

And if I really need/want this I still can use the Leica M 1.4/75 or 1.0/50 Noctilux with the Novoflex Leica M to Z adapter manually - which I order today as well.

Looking forward to some really great experiences with Nikon FF after so many years.

tcdeveau

I picked up my Z7 and the 2.8/24-70 today and I am VERY HAPPY! Will share some images as soon as I have something slothful sharing for public.

Anyway I am surprised how far I got sucked into m43 and the larger DOF now with 2.8 and 70 I am almost overwhelmed by the shallow DOF - which I was completely used to several years ago but now I am staring to appreciate it again.

Having said that - I now have the feeling that 1.8 in some primes will be all I need - so not sure if I will even consider that 1.2/50.

And if I really need/want this I still can use the Leica M 1.4/75 or 1.0/50 Noctilux with the Novoflex Leica M to Z adapter manually - which I order today as well.

Looking forward to some really great experiences with Nikon FF after so many years.
Glad you’re enjoying it!

The Novoflex M to Z adapter works well, I’ve been using it with a 50mm 0.95 Noctilux without any issues.

jduncan

I hope you enjoy it.
From today a good discount for the z7 should cost around. 2500$ to be competitive. The current price is too high.

The Canon. R5 is out with ET level focusing (speed, acuracy and low light), dual card slots, proper grip and maybe,, competitive dynamic range.
If the camera does not have a mayor flaw is well ahead the competition. I am crossign fingers for the Z6 and Z7 replacements. I hope Nikon understand that they don't have 2 years.

Another option, if they see they can't compete will be lower prices. We are waiting for the. 85mm f1.4/1.2 to appear in the roadmap!!!

Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I hope you enjoy it.
From today a good discount for the z7 should cost around. 2500$ to be competitive. The current price is too high.

The Canon. R5 is out with ET level focusing (speed, acuracy and low light), dual card slots, proper grip and maybe,, competitive dynamic range.
If the camera does not have a mayor flaw is well ahead the competition. I am crossign fingers for the Z6 and Z7 replacements. I hope Nikon understand that they don't have 2 years.

Another option, if they see they can't compete will be lower prices. We are waiting for the. 85mm f1.4/1.2 to appear in the roadmap!!!

Best regards,
I am really enjoying the Z7 - and I paid €2100.- for it - so this is a really good price. And the EVF is from another world - well coming from the Olympus EM1.3 ...

Despite the price I feel it is a superior camera especially with that beautifully rendering sensor. You can actually feel and see the great DR coming from m43.

The 2.8/24-70 has been my dream lens since I tested it a year ago and I have no regrets having bought it finally. Extremely sharp, silent and a joy to use in combo with that Z7 body.

I am very happy - even after that R5/R6 launch yesterday and far away from considering Canon.

tcdeveau

I hope you enjoy it.

Best regards,
They are rumored to refresh both the Z6 and Z7 later this year (https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/06/...orless-cameras-expected-later-this-year.aspx/).

Looks like some of the rumored improvements include dual processors, dual card slots, and a proper optional vertical grip accessory with camera control (not just a "dumb" battery grip).

I'm with you on the 85mm f1.4/1.2, although I have a feeling it could be awhile....sigh.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am definitely most interested in the 100-400 and the 1.4TC.

Very interesting is also the 14-24/2.8 if it allows screw in filters - which I somewhere read it should.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in both --or more accurately EITHER-- the 200-600 or 100-400 with the 1.4x converter as well. I won't bother with the 70-200 with the longer options on my radar, as my uses of the 70-200 historically have been mostly at 200 and little else. If the 100-400 is significantly more compact and possibly a stop faster than the 200-600, that could sway me towards it. I am quite happy with the size and performance of the 14-30/4 for what I need in an UW zoom, so no plans to move away from it. My other prime interest is the pancake 40 -- I'm hoping it's a stellar performing f2.8 lens and if so, could easily become my walk-around prime, and I'd sell my 50/1.8S even though it's the absolute single best optic I've ever owned or used... Lastly, I'll probably round out with the 105 macro or possibly keep my current 105G Macro and get the 85/1.8S prime. Then I'd be pretty much done.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It would be nice if they could make one of the macros (the 50/60mm?) an f/2 1:2 lens (like the Zeiss Milvus etc.). I have found those "half macros" to be perfect travel lenses for general photography and for the occasional close-up of food etc.