The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EOS R5 Announcement

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Since some time I am already looking into the Canon R system as it seems to build up what is essential for my wishes and needs when it comes to FF.

I have high hopes for the EOS R5 - on some rumor websites it is said it should come with an around 40MP sensor, which would be needed anyway for 8K video and would be just the perfect resolution I am looking for.

Pairing that with the 100-500 and the 15-35 as well as the 70-200 and on top of that add the 1.2/85 sometimes later would be all I wanted and needed for the rest of my life - well I guess at least ;)

And this camera would help me avoid Sony or Nikon as well - a big plus as continues to turn out for me!

iiiNelson

Since some time I am already looking into the Canon R system as it seems to build up what is essential for my wishes and needs when it comes to FF.

I have high hopes for the EOS R5 - on some rumor websites it is said it should come with an around 40MP sensor, which would be needed anyway for 8K video and would be just the perfect resolution I am looking for.

Pairing that with the 100-500 and the 15-35 as well as the 70-200 and on top of that add the 1.2/85 sometimes later would be all I wanted and needed for the rest of my life - well I guess at least ;)

And this camera would help me avoid Sony or Nikon as well - a big plus as continues to turn out for me!
Maybe but you were trying to keep costs down I thought and RF lenses are not inexpensive. Definitely are excellent. It looks like they fixed many of the quirks though I still hate the fully articulating screen... so that’s a downer for me personally. As far as lenses I’d choose if I bought into the system - 28-70/2 (hands down the lens that wowed me the first time I tried the camera), the 50/1.2, the 85/1.2 DS, and wait to see what they’re doing for longer primes in the 100-150mm range. The 70-200 would be a possibility but I’d skip the 100-500 on account of the small aperture on the long end.

They’ve been putting out absolutely fantastic lenses overall and I’m happy they’re putting out a body (finally) to justify the lenses. Canon users should be very happy later this year with this offering. I hope they provide real 8k too and not the 8K UHD variety... but I also feel that way about DCI 4K vs. 4K UHD. I wish every camera that advertised 4K were speaking of in real 4K (the DCI variety).

pegelli

Interesting, but looks too big for me, more like a DSLR.
And for a stills photographer it doesn't offer much new in comparison what's already on the market from Nikon/Sony/Panasonic.
Any idea on the price?

RLB

20fps? 8k video (with no way to show that content, heck barely any way to show 4k...true 4k not interpolated).

Sounds like the perfect camera system for ??? Certainly not me.

Robert B

DougDolde

Looks like a winner but I won't likely buy it. Too expensive with lenses.

What 8K does is let you zoom in post so you have more possibilities.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is a winner, and the camera Canon users have been waiting for. 8K is a technicality. If it sports 40MP, IBIS, fully articulated screen, good ergonomics, great quality 4K, good slo-mo and two card slots, it will be hard to beat, particularly considering the quality of Canon R-mount lenses. A friend of mine bought an R and is very happy with the camera. This one will take him to heaven and beyond.

Heavy? Expensive? If it's anything like the R, it's about as heavy as other high end mirrorless cameras, and as for the price, it will probably be in the same $3-4,000 bracket as the competition has been for the last decade or so.

There are reasons why Canon have been market leaders for so long.

pegelli

This is a winner, and the camera Canon users have been waiting for. 8K is a technicality. If it sports 40MP, IBIS, fully articulated screen, good ergonomics, great quality 4K, good slo-mo and two card slots, it will be hard to beat, particularly considering the quality of Canon R-mount lenses.
If those attributes determine a winner there's a lot of winners out in the mirrorless market already today. Yes, it will be a good camera and Canon is a brand not to be overlooked, but for me there's really nothing there that looks exciting or special.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If those attributes determine a winner there's a lot of winners out in the mirrorless market already today. Yes, it will be a good camera and Canon is a brand not to be overlooked, but for me there's really nothing there that looks exciting or special.
For sure those attributes (at least most of them) are describing a winner - BUT no other brand so far really understood these - see what FF mirrorless cameras (and lenses) are available today or in near future ... Sony??? Nikon????????? Panasonic????????????????

Maybe your milage may vary but a fast and accurately focusing camera with 40-45MP and great DR and high frame rate and great buffer and great ergonomics plus perfect video (up to 8k) I cannot see from any of the other brands - sorry for Sony, sorry for Nikon (the sleeper of the pack) and sorry for Panasonic (better back to the drawing boards to develop finally a decent AF)

Canon is the clear winner if the EOS R5 materialises as what is rumored.

Last edited:

pegelli

Maybe you're referring to 8K video (which is not important for me) but all the other attributes can be found in Nikon and Sony and for slower moving/static objects in Panasonic. No problem if people like this Canon better, that's a personal choice, but to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread and better than the other brands is an exaggeration in my mind.

I know waiting for you is no problem, but we still need to see the Canon come and perform, while the others are already out there.

iiiNelson

For sure those attributes (at least most of them) are describing a winner - BUT no other brand so far really understood these - see what FF mirrorless cameras (and lenses) are available today or in near future ... Sony??? Nikon????????? Panasonic????????????????

Maybe your milage may vary but a fast and accurately focusing camera with 40-45MP and great DR and high frame rate and great buffer and great ergonomics plus perfect video (up to 8k) I cannot see from any of the other brands - sorry for Sony, sorry for Nikon (the sleeper of the pack) and sorry for Panasonic (better back to the drawing boards to develop finally a decent AF)

Canon is the clear winner if the EOS R5 materialises as what is rumored.
I think Sony and Panasonic have lens offerings available that are every bit as good or comparable to what Canon is offering. The video is great on paper assuming there isn’t “a catch” to the features that they’re advertising. I think there’s a benefit to shooting at 8K and delivering in 4K or 1080P... or just cropping in the video and getting “multicam” ability from a single frame.

If autofocus is the concern... no one is better than Sony right now. If video quality is the concern I believe Panasonic offers the best quality... Nothing wrong with Canon at all and I think the R5 will right most of the wrongs of the R. I don’t know that anyone can say that anyone is a clear winner. That’s just ludicrous as everyone has different desires. In reality... all of the cameras are great.

jdphoto

I'm certainly interested. I have no use for 8k video, but the two cards and native 1.2 lenses really get my attention.

JeRuFo

Amazing how they cram all that stuff into a tiny camera. Especially 8K and IBIS at the same time. If it will be as good as everyone expects, it will be a winner for sure. The lens line is shaping up extremely well and it seems like they are listening to the ergonomics complaints too. The only real problem I had with the R was the cumbersome way choose an AF point outside of using the screen and the weird slider thingy that they ditched for the R5.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe you're referring to 8K video (which is not important for me) but all the other attributes can be found in Nikon and Sony and for slower moving/static objects in Panasonic. No problem if people like this Canon better, that's a personal choice, but to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread and better than the other brands is an exaggeration in my mind.

I know waiting for you is no problem, but we still need to see the Canon come and perform, while the others are already out there.
Nikon attributes are pretty low number and the lens lineup is nothing to write home about as is their AF implementation.

Sony - you like it or you do not like it, I for myself was let down by Sony some 8-10 years ago when they abandoned their Alphy mount totally and it would take me long time to convince me back in again. Also ergonomics still suck for me (and many others)

Panasonic - you can certainly use their mirrorless FF approaches as deadly weapons or replacing a hammer or other tools, but for my taste too heavy. And their AF as I mentioned - just back to the drawing boards. If you like slow and unreliable then you should be ok already today, but I am used to Olympus AF speed and accuracy so hard for me.

WRT waiting - I have time and it is fun to watch these companies fight against each other and struggle again and again but finally one (or two) mirrorless FF system will turn out to be great. And then is the time to buy.

On the rest - I could not be interested less because I want to shoot for fun and have fun and n o worries etc.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think Sony and Panasonic have lens offerings available that are every bit as good or comparable to what Canon is offering. The video is great on paper assuming there isn’t “a catch” to the features that they’re advertising. I think there’s a benefit to shooting at 8K and delivering in 4K or 1080P... or just cropping in the video and getting “multicam” ability from a single frame.

If autofocus is the concern... no one is better than Sony right now. If video quality is the concern I believe Panasonic offers the best quality... Nothing wrong with Canon at all and I think the R5 will right most of the wrongs of the R. I don’t know that anyone can say that anyone is a clear winner. That’s just ludicrous as everyone has different desires. In reality... all of the cameras are great.
Sony maybe is, but Panasonic definitely not - at least for people like me.

In the moment Sony has still the head on AF but that will not last too long anymore and Canon and even Nikon will be as good. Different with Panasonic and their b...s... DFD system - as I mentioned multiple times they need to go back to the drawing boards again for this.

Canon seems to have listened and sure we need to wait how their new sensor(s) perform but form the rest I am seeing they are pretty close and obviously have gone rid of that ignorance that other companies are plagued.

Just my 5c, and whatever one prefers is personal of course but if one is really objective then they should come pretty close to my opinion.

pegelli

Thanks Peter, that sounds a lot more balanced and objective versus your earlier posts :salute:

In the end these are all fantastic photo machines and it just comes down to personal preferences and which options/attributes are important for each photographer.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's important to understand the implications of 8K with regards to processing power. Compared to 4K, 8K contains four times as much data. The processing capacity needed to get all those bits through the system will also enable the camera to process anything else faster, and with fast cards, be able to handle complicated combinations of advanced AF algorithms, metering, hi-res viewfinders etc. in an optimal way. There are rumours about 4K 120 fps. which makes sense. That's more or less the same amount of data as 8K 30 fps.

I would be surprised if Nikon isn't working on a similarly advanced camera, probably more stills oriented, but also with much more advanced AF and with slow motion 4K.

I doubt that 8K has been the main focus for this camera other than for marketing purposes. The 8K ability comes as an added advantage when installing a 40MP sensor and the processing power needed to make a mirrorless camera as responsive as a high-end DSLR. Will it be as good as a DSLR? Much depends on the viewfinder. That's where images are created.

pegelli

In my mind "the need for speed" is just another attribute that's important for some and not important for others. If you need it the R5 can be a good choice (but let's wait until the camera is out and properly tested), if you don't need it it doesn't limit your choices.

iiiNelson

Sony maybe is, but Panasonic definitely not - at least for people like me.

In the moment Sony has still the head on AF but that will not last too long anymore and Canon and even Nikon will be as good. Different with Panasonic and their b...s... DFD system - as I mentioned multiple times they need to go back to the drawing boards again for this.

Canon seems to have listened and sure we need to wait how their new sensor(s) perform but form the rest I am seeing they are pretty close and obviously have gone rid of that ignorance that other companies are plagued.

Just my 5c, and whatever one prefers is personal of course but if one is really objective then they should come pretty close to my opinion.
Do you not think that the L-Mount lenses are every bit as good optically if not better than the Canon RF lenses? That’s what I was specifically speaking about.

We can all say that DFD is BS but there was a time people said that about Mirrorless in general. Now we are here 10-15 years later and everyone has jumped onto Mirrorless. People didn’t understand the big deal about dual pixel or Sony Hybrid focus until now when everyone wants their brand of choice to incorporate their own proprietary version of it. Maybe Panasonic won’t succeed but I happen to think they will. There are absolutely tangible benefits to not having PDAF focus sites robbing the sensor of light and resolution. I sincerely hopes Panasonic (and L-Mount Alliance by association) succeed in developing this technology because it does mean real improvements to image quality, color retention, and lowlight performance. There is a processing bottleneck and algorithms is refine but ultimately the system is good enough in still photography today that the differences are minimal (unless you’re talking about extreme AF cases like the A9). If we aren’t comparing the A9 to the Panasonic/Leica cameras the differences in performance aren’t as great as your making out and it’s coming from a person that does still shoot Sony, uses their professional services, and has used every current camera in some capacity except the A9II.

Now as far as the Canon... I truly do hope they’re back on the innovation train. I was hoping they were 2 years ago when they introduced the RF camera. I tried it out with the hopes that it would fit my needs but I found it to be the absolutely least comfortable of all Mirrorless cameras to hold onto. It also had a fully articulating screen (which I don’t want on my primary cameras) and I find the rear screen on the Panasonic S1/R (or Fuji cameras) to be perfect. Then there was the weird Touch Bar that’s thankfully gone now. All of theses added up to a deal breaker for me personally but I still thought they had something great because of their lens lineup. The lens choices are excellent but I didn’t like a single thing about the body. The 28-70/2 is a must have lens without a question. The 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 DS are as well. The 24-105/4 might be the best kit lens ever made... well until I tried the Panasonic. Optically the Canon is slightly better perhaps. The Panasonic is more versatile IMO though because it has limited focus breathing and a 1:2 macro capability. I feel like Nikon should’ve updated their 24-120/4 when they released the Z as their kit lens instead of the 24-70/4. I think it would’ve intrigued more people and tides them over until the f/2.8 and fast primes could be released.

Now with Canon, I do have what I feel is a reasonable fear that when the full spec sheet comes out they will hurt their position and the trust of the consumer because something may be crippled. I still see them as a company that plans strategically to get people to move into their Cinema EOS line for pro video. Maybe they’ll surprise us all but I’m waiting on “the catch” to this announcement now that some of the Shock has worn off.

Call me cautiously skeptical but holding onto some semblance of hope and optimism. I do feel like if we are all objective we can agree with this regarding Canon’s track record.

iiiNelson

It's important to understand the implications of 8K with regards to processing power. Compared to 4K, 8K contains four times as much data. The processing capacity needed to get all those bits through the system will also enable the camera to process anything else faster, and with fast cards, be able to handle complicated combinations of advanced AF algorithms, metering, hi-res viewfinders etc. in an optimal way. There are rumours about 4K 120 fps. which makes sense. That's more or less the same amount of data as 8K 30 fps.

I would be surprised if Nikon isn't working on a similarly advanced camera, probably more stills oriented, but also with much more advanced AF and with slow motion 4K.

I doubt that 8K has been the main focus for this camera other than for marketing purposes. The 8K ability comes as an added advantage when installing a 40MP sensor and the processing power needed to make a mirrorless camera as responsive as a high-end DSLR. Will it be as good as a DSLR? Much depends on the viewfinder. That's where images are created.
8k isn’t as hard as it once was. A lot comes down to the wrapper it’s packaged in and whether Canon (or whomever) works directly with NLE makers to efficiently process the data. People with Mac Pro’s, newer Radeon Navi GPU’s, or Apple T2 chips inside are already ahead of the game as they can all decode h.264 or h.265 more easily. They same can be said for Windows users that use similar platforms.