The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H in the Making of the Silver Arrows Movie

dave.gt

It is raining again today. Cold wind and rain is keeping us indoors and Sunday is a good to relax.:)

My resesrch this week has been the Silver Arrows Racing team of many decades ago. YouTube has a surprising number of excellent videos including the making of the Silver Arrows film produced by Mercedes Benz. It was a pleasant surprise to see the fantastic artwork and a short video of the making of the film and the part that Hasselblad H cameras played in the production (scroll halfway down the link for the video).

First class all the way.:thumbs:

Enjoy!

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/lifestyle/culture/mercedes-benz-silver-arrows-a-living-legend/

dave.gt

Well, not surprisingly, the door opened to dozens more videos of racing in the early days from the 193pss to around 1970. Fascinating! Even Hasselblad was shown being used at LeMans.:)

Somehow, it seems that the photographer is still the most important part of imaging.

I am still impressed with the vintage stills taken in that time period. :thumbs:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Louis Klemantaski and Jesse Alexander were two amongst many of the great photographers from The Golden Age.

And the Shell 30 minute film of the 1955 Belgian Grand Prix is so evocative, especially the 1st 5 minutes or so, which begins with birdsong!

"The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there".

dave.gt

Holy crap!!! Thank you for that link, I just finished watching it and looking for the types of cameras used... but I can't identify a single one except for a Speed Graphic (I think).

That film is so well done, that it makes you feel the essence of racing of the time! Great footage! Great storyline with the opening in a country setting.:):):)

Country roads through the village setting, dogs, chickens, children playing and adults having picnics alongside the roadway with serious Grand Prix race cars flying by at speeds over 150 mph!!!!:bugeyes:
Real racing there like I remember as a child. No safety considerations, no seat belts, no roll bars/cages, no racing suits (casual pants and shirts), and really tough, fearless men!:thumbs:

What I wouldn't have given to attend a race like that with any old camera! But we had to make do with early NASCAR racing at the Atlanta Raceway in the 60s, watching Fred Lorenzen and Fireball Roberts from grandstands. The years before that track was built we loved the dirt track racing at the Lakewood Fairgrounds where Smoky and the Bandit was filmed decades later.

As a child living in the country within walking distance of the Atlanta track, I could dream and read magazines of Grand Prix races with Fangio, Sterling Moss and all of those glorious racing machines from Mercedes, Maserati and Ferrari!:)