The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Xt-4

pegelli

Fuji Rumors said:
It remains the best looking SLR styled mirrorless camera on the market!
:facesmack: how can a new camera that isn't even out yet remain the best looking .......
And I'm not even complaining about the highly subjective nature of the statement

Shashin

:facesmack: how can a new camera that isn't even out yet remain the best looking .......
And I'm not even complaining about the highly subjective nature of the statement
I agree, sloppy writing and logic. I assume they are referring to the XT series as a whole that have very common styling.

biglouis

All the details are now out including a preview by Chris and Jordan at Dpreview.

https://youtu.be/C2qIyjEuRhU

I really do think that Fuji have a winner here. I'd even say they are in a position to displace the dominance of the GH5/G9 from Panasonic in the video arena.

I often get asked what camera I recommend to people wanting to migrate from an enthusiast camera or smartphone to something more serious and I've always hesitated in the past to recommend Fuji because of things like the battery life and lack of IBIS but now I would feel a lot more confident to recommend the X-T4.

The only negative thing I can say from what I've seen so far is that the changes for an existing X-T3 user like me are not compelling enough to immediately migrate. I'll definitely want to handle one before ever making a commitment because I am intrigued to see if in the hand it makes the X-H1 (and by definition a future X-H2) more or less attractive.

I just hope this is a roaring success for Fuji because it protects existing users future with the camera company and I also hope some of the firmware attributes will find their way into the existing X-T3.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/26/...ced-specs-pricing-ibis-stabilization-vlogging

"This is the camera that Fuji fans have been waiting for."

Not all Fuji fans. Is this the death knell for a X-H2?

Gary
I don't think the chances of an X-H2 have diminished. They have taken away the headphone jack, many of the exposure tools that Panasonic offers are lacking etc. My guess is that the X-H2 will be higher end than the X-H1 was.

It's a very interesting camera. For me, the question now will be what the next Panasonic(s) will look like. The GH5 is 3 years old.

PeterA

Well my XT-3 has the same processor and chip as the XT-4 and a lot of improvement in XT-4 are as much (if not more) video related inclding IBIS /longer life batteries a teh cost of a larbger body...I have no interest in video and IBIS on 26MP (for me) is not a big deal since I shoot with the 16/1.4 mostly...

What IS very exciting is the firmware update that sees two things of particular interest to me :

1. better autofocus including eye detection; and
2. camera processed TIFF files which is a huge thing (for me) since that means FUJI's ACTUAL film emulations can be transferred into PP - instead of LR and C1's "best attempts at replication" of the film emulations....in a better than JPG file format.

Now the 'test' will be whether Fuji actually provides the firmware major upgrade to XT-3 owners - if they don't that will be a major shift away from user friendliness and customer care - since that is the 'promise' that has been consistently marketed to Fuji users - constant and meaningful updates to camera. TBH - I am not that confident that they will.

In this context, it will be interesting how Fuji also handles the GFX100 firmware update with regards to these things as well since the GFX also shares the same processor if not chip...if they can improve autofocus in the GFX series cameras ( especially the GFX100) - that will push them even further ahead of any competition.

re the XH-2 - I suspect that the next iteration probably next year- will house a totally new chip/processor combination - they really goofed releasing the XT-3 with 'better stuff' for video makers...ahead of the XH-2...

biglouis

One other point worth making with respect to the new battery is one can finally say goodbye to the optional battery grip. I rarely if ever use it on my X-T3 as it is not needed for boost mode but I do have to keep a keen eye on the battery usage and I am adept now at fast battery changes! Without a battery grip as a wildlife camera the whole system is a lot lighter and easier to walk with.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This looks like a more or less ideal camera for me, and probably many other travel photographers:

- IBIS
- Good battery capacity, with up to 3 batteries onboard
- Dual battery charger (very convenient when travelling since charging time is often limited)
- Great video
- Fully articulated LCD
- Etc.

Panasonic will have to come up with a very special replacement for the GH5/G9 to compete. My dilemma will be all the great MFT lenses for sale at low prices locally. I suspect that those are from photographers who have anticipated this camera and are changing from MFT to Fuji.

Here's Mr. Rask, my favourite Fuji photographer:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/20...first-look-preview-closer-to-technical-bliss/

Pelorus

I'm a bit like you on this Peter. I really want the better autofocus algorithms. I can't see the business case for Fuji upgrading the XT-3 - this is the replacement after all. However I'm hoping that the X-Pro 3 gets the updates - it's new, it's a parallel camera line for them and they must still need it to succeed in the market. Here's hoping!

[snip]
What IS very exciting is the firmware update that sees two things of particular interest to me :

1. better autofocus including eye detection; and
2. camera processed TIFF files which is a huge thing (for me) since that means FUJI's ACTUAL film emulations can be transferred into PP - instead of LR and C1's "best attempts at replication" of the film emulations....in a better than JPG file format.

Now the 'test' will be whether Fuji actually provides the firmware major upgrade to XT-3 owners - if they don't that will be a major shift away from user friendliness and customer care - since that is the 'promise' that has been consistently marketed to Fuji users - constant and meaningful updates to camera. TBH - I am not that confident that they will.

[snip]

PeterA

I'm a bit like you on this Peter. I really want the better autofocus algorithms. I can't see the business case for Fuji upgrading the XT-3 - this is the replacement after all. However I'm hoping that the X-Pro 3 gets the updates - it's new, it's a parallel camera line for them and they must still need it to succeed in the market. Here's hoping!
Well the business case (as I've suggested) was actually made by Fuji themselves- firmware upgradeable cameras that . were actually improved in functionality - I think this kind of stuff used to be called 'customer service'. Lets see what they do or don't do - will be a significant test AFAIC - I've become a modern customer - they get one chance to fail and then poof bye bye Pete:ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks great except I don't like the flippy screen. Keeping the X-T3
Which is one reason why they will probably present as many improvements of the X-T3 as possible with firmware upgrades. They know that many don't like the fully articulated screen. The X-T3 might continue together with the X-T4 until the X-T5 or something else is released.

neilss

In camera 16 bit tiffs? I've done a few in my Pro3. 161mb files!!!! And to be able to keep Fuji's in camera implementations of profiles and Clarity etc, very cool. Very LARGE.

There a a few Xt-4 things I hope jump to the Pro3. I would guess what the add to the Xt-3 would/should be less extensive bumps than that what the Pro3 gets. Gotta keep the food chain in order ya'know.

Neil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree, and it would be a huge thing for me too. Although the WB adjustments options would be limited in ACR, I'll be very interested in trying to process a few of those TIFF files to see what is possible to get out of them. I'm currently working on medium format film (Ektar) scanned to TIFF, and I'm surprised how much leeway I have, particularly with regards to shadow detail and colour information. It's a totaly different animal compared to jpeg.

As for file size, memory is cheap, and TIFF is mostly easier for the computer to process since there's no compression to handle.

PeterA

In camera 16 bit tiffs? I've done a few in my Pro3. 161mb files!!!! And to be able to keep Fuji's in camera implementations of profiles and Clarity etc, very cool. Very LARGE.

There a a few Xt-4 things I hope jump to the Pro3. I would guess what the add to the Xt-3 would/should be less extensive bumps than that what the Pro3 gets. Gotta keep the food chain in order ya'know.

Neil
Well 'food chain' wasn't part of Fuji's promise and I am not a buyer of the argument either. The XT-3 has the same chip and processor as the XPro-3 and XT-4 - no excuses Fuji. Actually I am really happy to be in the position - because I haven't over invested in Fuji X and have deliberately held off after seeing their goof up with XH-1 - won't take much for me to exit - i've got too may cameras as it is.:facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This looks like a more or less ideal camera for me, and probably many other travel photographers:

- IBIS
- Good battery capacity, with up to 3 batteries onboard
- Dual battery charger (very convenient when travelling since charging time is often limited)
- Great video
- Fully articulated LCD
- Etc.

Panasonic will have to come up with a very special replacement for the GH5/G9 to compete. My dilemma will be all the great MFT lenses for sale at low prices locally. I suspect that those are from photographers who have anticipated this camera and are changing from MFT to Fuji.

Here's Mr. Rask, my favourite Fuji photographer:

https://jonasraskphotography.com/20...first-look-preview-closer-to-technical-bliss/
All welcome upgrades in the X-T4 and I would have liked to see them much sooner -maybe with the x-T3.

Now I am heavily invested in m43 and the used prices of this system are pretty down - you get €420.- for a good second hand EM1.2 - official Olympus price for taking the camera back, which they do in Europe.

WRT X-T4 - I see this X system meanwhile pretty problematic because one can get FF for around €1900.- - Sony A73, Nikon Z6 or even Canon R. So hard to decide to get into APSC today, especially since great new FF glass is also available for interesting prices (except Canon RF).