The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Phase One countdown on their website. What now?

AndereObjektiv

"How far will a photographer go to live out their passion for photography?"

All P1 hardware to go to a monthly subscription model as well, pay to unlock output resolution "upgrade" to full sensor capacity, like a tesla. :ROTFL:

gerald.d

It's a little sad but very revealing how cynical this group has become about Phase One's ability to deliver something of interest or value. A year ago we would have shared a collective enthusiasm for something new and exciting. Today we scoff at the idea. I hope Phase One is paying attention to the attitudes of their (former?) customers, and I hope even more that they take it to heart.
When I read this thread I felt exactly the same.

It's a sad indictment of Phase One's attitude towards their customers that it has come to this.

One also can't help but sense from the posts from dealers on this forum that they are at the end of their tether with the company.

Whilst my own departure from the Phase One ecosystem was driven by a number of factors, it does increasingly seem to be a very lucky escape, and that not being in a financial position to upgrade to the IQ4 150 was, with the benefit of hindsight, a godsend.

I wish only the best for the company and those invested in its success. Hopefully Phase One will get through this malaise and regain the trust of those who have invested so much in its products, over so many years, once more.

Jamgolf

Dante no longer possesses the ability to cast debilitating spells the way he once could :)

While Phase One's inability to offer basic solutions to IQ450 owners is certainly a very big factor, I feel "diminishing returns" also have a lot to do with Dante loosing his magic spell. Competitor products at much lower relative price points now offer high fidelity images. The image quality jump from a 36x24 to a 54x40 sensor used to be a huge jump. Not any more.

I'm still intrigued by the announcement. I doubt my curiosity will become lust.

RLB

Just a guess but it looks to be another endorsement of a photographer similar to what they did with Ruben Wu and the XT.

In this episode they ask the question: How far will a photographer go to live out their passion for photography? Answer: Depends; how much great coffee is on hand?

Robert B

DougDolde

Will you sell a kidney to buy it? Or get a second mortgage? Or even more
radical will you sell your house and live in a van?

Christopher

I think it shows how much Phase One has lost the connection to its customers. As a current owner, I don’t want any new stupid products... I want great firmware updates and C1 fixed.....

tjv

The most surprising thing about this thread is that DougDole's relentless negativity towards Phase does not seem out of place amongst the other posts.

TheDude

Maybe something to show how "easy" the XT system could (theoretically) be used handheld, like the lower order of 35mm cameras.

What else could be the subject-matter of a positive message from P1?

Pure guess on my side.

Abstraction

Will you sell a kidney to buy it? Or get a second mortgage? Or even more
radical will you sell your house and live in a van?
You don't need a van if you have a quadchromatic. How far is a photographer willing to go to live out their passion for photography? - As far as quadchromatic will take him!

Pelorus

I've never been invested in Phase One products the way many here have. For me it's always been about the previous generation - pre-owned. But the innovation has flowed down to me and Capture One has always been an innovative pathway to RAW processing.

The beginning of the decline for me has been the endless stream of meaningless trivia which Phase One/Capture One visits my inbox daily. It's not useful, it's not meaningful and no I don't want to buy the style pack that will make all elderly women look 25 again - or whatever they want me to buy today to bolster their cashflow.

I subscribe to many manufacturers' email feeds. The _only_ one that spams me with endless, relentless trivia is Phase/Capture. Others respect my time, limit themselves and when they do email they tell me something useful to me or meaningful to me. Often, as is the case with Peak Design, it's not just about product but about their passion for a better environment in the future and what they are doing about it.

Then the further trivia - a major paid upgrade to Capture One 20. At best that was worthy of a dot release. The only thing that drove that release was a wish for cashflow. As a customer I just felt dudded.

This is probably a very unfortunate comparison but so be it: The thing missing for me above all else is authenticity, that is an authentic and connected picture of Phase/Capture that helps me understand where they are going and how that aligns with me. I get that it's all marketing, however the stark contrast is Fujifilm. They wear their direction, their hopes and their aspirations on their sleeves. Yes I know it's marketing, but it's more than that. I can put a name and a face to the person who leads the camera division, I know the name and a little about what drives the woman who designed my most recent purchase. They have a clear and open roadmap for things like lenses and they are open and communicative about setbacks, difficulties and changes.

The day the X-Pro 3 was released I was at Fujifilm Square in Tokyo Midtown. The guys behind the counter were mainly older salary men. But they were genuinely excited, passionate and proud about this new camera. At their age and stage of life they had every reason to be just going through the motions...they were not however and they conveyed their excitement and pride even given my limited Japanese and their limited English.

Phase however just seems to want to sell me another set of styles for my Grandmother's skin tones...

It's a little sad but very revealing how cynical this group has become about Phase One's ability to deliver something of interest or value. A year ago we would have shared a collective enthusiasm for something new and exciting. Today we scoff at the idea. I hope Phase One is paying attention to the attitudes of their (former?) customers, and I hope even more that they take it to heart.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Maybe something to show how "easy" the XT system could (theoretically) be used handheld, like the lower order of 35mm cameras.

What else could be the subject-matter of a positive message from P1?

Pure guess on my side.
Some of my favorite captures were hand-held, Cambo/SK35/IQ140 - not a high ISO back. They're noisy, not sharp, and lovely. Go figure.

And no, I'm not tempted to go back.

Matt

ErikKaffehr

Interesting wording...

How far will a photographer go to live out their passion for photography?

Best regards
Erik

Massive Si

Re: Interesting wording...

How far will a photographer go to live out their passion for photography?

Best regards
Erik
exactly

cant wait to read an article about some lucky photog who got paid to hang out of a helicopter, at the ends of the earth, holding the very latest gear all courtesy of Phase One

;)

TheDude

Some of my favorite captures were hand-held, Cambo/SK35/IQ140 - not a high ISO back. They're noisy, not sharp, and lovely. Go figure.
... And no, I'm not tempted to go back.

Matt
For some jobs, a smartphone is superior. For some other jobs, a technical camera with P1.

As they say, horses for courses.

P.S. But whatever helps P1 to move ahead, commercially or technically, is fine with me.

Last edited:

MrSmith

Less than an hour to go!:thumbup:
I expect the phase servers are about to crack under the deluge of page refreshes as the doe-eyed chase their photographic dreams....