The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about a used X1D

Thorkil

I'm thinking of buying a used Hasselblad X1D, while its a very good offer, to put an adapter and my 50/2.8 FE and my 110/2 FE lenses on.
As a supplement for film.
I have read Vieri's review of his X1D, and its very encouraging to me.
Any thoughts in general, and any experience with adapted FE lenses?
And any idea of resulting angle in 35 format?
(and no, I cant afford native lenses for the time being, so have to rely on the two FE's)
KR Thorkil

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm thinking of buying a used Hasselblad X1D, while its a very good offer, to put an adapter and my 50/2.8 FE and my 110/2 FE lenses on.
(and no, I cant afford native lenses for the time being, so have to rely on the two FE's)
KR Thorkil
I would highly recommend the Hasselblad X1D if you have dedicated shooting style, as you probably would since you are thinking about combining the X1D with MF film cameras. It does have some limitations with adaptive lenses since the XD1 has only the electronic shutter. I don’t have the 50/2.8 FE lens, but I have been using the 110/2 FE lens and results are wonderful. Of course, when you can get into the native XCD lenses later on, the image qualities will be even better.

As regards to the focal length, 50mm in MF is about 40mm in full frame 35mm format so the 110mm is about 87mm (you can use a factor of 0.79 to convert between the two formats, i.e. 50 mm x 0.79 = 39.5 mm and 110mm x 0.79 = 86.9mm.

Cheers,

Thorkil

I would highly recommend the Hasselblad X1D if you have dedicated shooting style, as you probably would since you are thinking about combining the X1D with MF film cameras. It does have some limitations with adaptive lenses since the XD1 has only the electronic shutter. I don’t have the 50/2.8 FE lens, but I have been using the 110/2 FE lens and results are wonderful. Of course, when you can get into the native XCD lenses later on, the image qualities will be even better.

As regards to the focal length, 50mm in MF is about 40mm in full frame 35mm format so the 110mm is about 87mm (you can use a factor of 0.79 to convert between the two formats, i.e. 50 mm x 0.79 = 39.5 mm and 110mm x 0.79 = 86.9mm.

Cheers,
Thank you very much for your answer, it is helpful and encouraging!! Yes moving object will be a no go, but still..
kr thorkil

Paratom

Keep in mind you can use only electronic shutter with such lenses. So it can be problematic as soons as Things move (rolling shutter effect). depends on your subjects and Photography if it is a Problem or not

Thorkil

Keep in mind you can use only electronic shutter with such lenses. So it can be problematic as soons as Things move (rolling shutter effect). depends on your subjects and Photography if it is a Problem or not
Thank you! yes I became aware of that, but things are, for the time being, that this could be my only realistic shortcut to a digitized Hasselblad-system, so if only one realize the limits...(perhaps have to pull out the Gitzo again). Later on, if things are going my way, the XCD 21 would be my next goal.
One issue is, that I'm only used to C1, so I will be forced to learn Phocus, but so it must be then..
kr thorkil

Boinger

Thank you! yes I became aware of that, but things are, for the time being, that this could be my only realistic shortcut to a digitized Hasselblad-system, so if only one realize the limits...(perhaps have to pull out the Gitzo again). Later on, if things are going my way, the XCD 21 would be my next goal.
One issue is, that I'm only used to C1, so I will be forced to learn Phocus, but so it must be then..
kr thorkil
I find phocus and adobe lightroom rendering very similar. With my files I don't bother with phocus unless I got an exceptional shot.

Phocus is far too slow of a software especially with these large MP files.

I used my x1d with a zeiss 50mm 1.5 and the results were quite good.

Just some quick tests I had shot.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...58-x1d-e-shutter-quite-usable.html?highlight=

anyone

kr thorkil
Why is that the only way to a digitized Hasselblad-system? You could use your lenses of course also with a focal-plane shutter Hasselblad V-body + digital back. Be aware of the limitations though: I bought a 2000FCW only to realize that my back won't work together with it smoothly. Still a really nice film body though.

sog1927

I used my X1D exclusively with V-series lenses for the first several months I owned it (with the Fotodiox adapter, since that was the only one available at the time). As long as you're mindful of the e-shutter's limitations, you should be fine. Moving subjects are pretty much out of the question (although you can get some pretty interesting results from the Lartigue effect). Shooting hand-held is difficult and requires really flawless technique and very steady hands - but the combination works quite well from a tripod. Recent versions of Phocus will allow you to select the digital corrections for the V-series lenses manually.

Thorkil

I find phocus and adobe lightroom rendering very similar. With my files I don't bother with phocus unless I got an exceptional shot.

Phocus is far too slow of a software especially with these large MP files.

I used my x1d with a zeiss 50mm 1.5 and the results were quite good.

Just some quick tests I had shot.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...58-x1d-e-shutter-quite-usable.html?highlight=
Thank you! and for the usefull link and illustrativ pictures and comments, and I guess the rolling shutter effect don't spoil the picture in every case, it depends, and also depends on how and if you prefer the effect as a bonuspoint or not, depending on the situation and the mood,
sometimes I'm very moodbased in my mind when taking pictures. If I jump with closed eyes...I will have to see what it brings to me..
Kr thorkil

JeRuFo

If you have the cash you can try it out relatively risk free, since it is an older body and won't go down in price that much over a few months.

Thorkil

Why is that the only way to a digitized Hasselblad-system? You could use your lenses of course also with a focal-plane shutter Hasselblad V-body + digital back. Be aware of the limitations though: I bought a 2000FCW only to realize that my back won't work together with it smoothly. Still a really nice film body though.
Thanks! I have considered a digital back, but turned it down towards the X1D, and the X1D attract me, beautiful, small and slim design, light weight, simple and clear, and thereby also, that I can be prepared for a 21mm.
kr thorkil

Thorkil

I used my X1D exclusively with V-series lenses for the first several months I owned it (with the Fotodiox adapter, since that was the only one available at the time). As long as you're mindful of the e-shutter's limitations, you should be fine. Moving subjects are pretty much out of the question (although you can get some pretty interesting results from the Lartigue effect). Shooting hand-held is difficult and requires really flawless technique and very steady hands - but the combination works quite well from a tripod. Recent versions of Phocus will allow you to select the digital corrections for the V-series lenses manually.
Thank you! If Phocus will be slow, I'm slow too :) For now I could perhaps see myself experimenting with the rolling shutter effect, specially in B&W, perhaps could be funny..and then perhaps tripod in the Courtyards of Copenhagen perhaps (but here I will need the 21mm)
kr thorkil

Thorkil

If you have the cash you can try it out relatively risk free, since it is an older body and won't go down in price that much over a few months.
Yes you are right, I decided to order it online, but pick it up, with proper 2 meter Corona-distance, which gives free return here in Denmark in 14 days, I just wish for sure that Hasselblad had made an agreement with Phase one like Fuji, so I could use C1, what a pity(!!!),
but I'll have to learn Phocus, even if its perhaps uphill.
kr thorkil

Photon42

There is quite some information on the Web how to use C1 with Hasselblad files. Here is one.

E-Shutter means no flashes, no camera shake until you heard the last click, no moving objects.

I have recently obtained the Mark ii, mainly because I liked the files coming out of that Hasselblad sensor so much and sold my CFV50c for it. Presently happy with a native 30/65 combo plus an adapted slightly beaten HC 100. I also bought an M adapter, as the M bayonet is kind of the lingua franca for me. Have made good experiences so far with the Zeiss M Sonnar, the Summilux 50 ASPH and the Summicron 90 ASPH. I still hate Hasselblad a bit for not adding an FP shutter ...

Thorkil

There is quite some information on the Web how to use C1 with Hasselblad files. Here is one.

E-Shutter means no flashes, no camera shake until you heard the last click, no moving objects.

I have recently obtained the Mark ii, mainly because I liked the files coming out of that Hasselblad sensor so much and sold my CFV50c for it. Presently happy with a native 30/65 combo plus an adapted slightly beaten HC 100. I also bought an M adapter, as the M bayonet is kind of the lingua franca for me. Have made good experiences so far with the Zeiss M Sonnar, the Summilux 50 ASPH and the Summicron 90 ASPH. I still hate Hasselblad a bit for not adding an FP shutter ...
Thank you Ivo, I'll look into the Capturefix. It can just save my days, if working!! Luckily I never use flash :). I sold all my M-lenses some years ago.
Have just ordered the used X1D while the 20% discount was running out today. 2.150$ without tax, which to me is a super-price. Should be in super shape. Including 2 years warranty. Picking it up tomorrow.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Ivo, I'll look into the Capturefix. It can just save my days, if working!! Luckily I never use flash :). I sold all my M-lenses some years ago.
Have just ordered the used X1D while the 20% discount was running out today. 2.150$ without tax, which to me is a super-price. Should be in super shape. Including 2 years warranty. Picking it up tomorrow.
That's great! Take your time to enjoy the X1D. I found that using X1D with adapted lenses forces you to slow down and be dedicated with each image you take. The process is a real pleasure and I should do more of that. Down the road, you can get one or two native XCD lenses then you have a real nice walk-around street camera setup. IMHO, X1D is a real versatile system. And once you start to process the X1D files, you will really enjoy them. To me, Hasselblad has the best color files!

Good luck and enjoy your X1D. Please be safe and healthy.

Cheers,

Thorkil

That's great! Take your time to enjoy the X1D. I found that using X1D with adapted lenses forces you to slow down and be dedicated with each image you take. The process is a real pleasure and I should do more of that. Down the road, you can get one or two native XCD lenses then you have a real nice walk-around street camera setup. IMHO, X1D is a real versatile system. And once you start to process the X1D files, you will really enjoy them. To me, Hasselblad has the best color files!

Good luck and enjoy your X1D. Please be safe and healthy.

Cheers,
Thank you!! Yes, I'm really looking forward to see what it will bring me :) stay safe
kr thorkil

sog1927

Thanks! I have considered a digital back, but turned it down towards the X1D, and the X1D attract me, beautiful, small and slim design, light weight, simple and clear, and thereby also, that I can be prepared for a 21mm.
kr thorkil
As a long-time V-series shooter, I continue to be amazed at the existence of a medium format body I can carry in a jacket pocket.

4*Paul

I just wish for sure that Hasselblad had made an agreement with Phase one like Fuji, so I could use C1, what a pity(!!!),
I found myself In the same situation regarding X1D files in C1 and have successfully used a process that was suggested on this forum some time ago. It involves making a small modification to the Exif data and, having used the principle regularly for some time now, can report that it works well - and the Exif Editor costs less than $10.
I’ve compared images that I’ve processed directly from Phocus, Lightroom and C1 (via LR and the Exif mod) and, whilst there are differences in the results, the final images can be adjusted to be near identical. To my eyes anyway.
Phocus is a perfectly competent bit of software but I’m used to C1 and much more comfortable working with it than I am with Phocus. That’s probably just down to familiarity but I’m happier going through the fairly simple process of Exif editing my best X1D images in order to bring them into my comfort zone of C1. I think it’s worth the small cost and extra fiddle but, of course, others may not agree.
This may be a bit paranoid but I’m a little bit nervous of Phase closing this loophole (if that’s what it is) so won’t detail it here - although it is similar to the one described on the thread I mentioned earlier. I’m happy to describe my process though if you want to send me a PM.
Oh and in answer to your original post, I’m very happy with my X1D as a lightweight MF alternative to my Phase kit. It’s a lovely little camera to use and, although it will never match an IQ3 100 for outright quality of course, it produces some excellent images. I just have to be more careful with my framing compared to the (rather lazy) cropping that I can do in Post with the IQ3 file. :thumbup:
Paul

PeterA

KR Thorkil
Using the camea in manual mode removes many of its percieved limitations with regards to slow auofocus etc...using it with your FE110/2 should yield stunning results - was one of my all time favourite 5 lenses. Good thinking on your part to experiment with the ES - as this not only opens up creative possibilities with selective blur and distortion but also via adapter - lenses which you might already own - I used the X1D quite well with some Zeiss glass in the past. Also I found that LR worked quite well with the native files - I wouldn't bother with the renaming to fool C1 routines unless you then wish to make your own ICC files...you will find that B&W conversions yield stunning results with this sensor as evidenced by the work of some landscape photographers on here.

atb
Pete