The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1 lens, 1 camera

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The 50 S is very tempting, but I think the 35 S is more versatile. But then the 24-70's are as well, but either limited to f/4 or bulky yet limited to f/2.8. (Which isn't so bad, at least at the longer end.) I think I'd have to pick the 35...

marlof

Currently doing a month long PAD with the Olympus EM1.3 and 25 1.2. It has proven a fun combination, so this time I’d pick that. It helps that I grew up on a SLR with just a 50.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 50 S is very tempting, but I think the 35 S is more versatile. But then the 24-70's are as well, but either limited to f/4 or bulky yet limited to f/2.8. (Which isn't so bad, at least at the longer end.) I think I'd have to pick the 35...
If I go with a prime, then the 50 vs 35 debate is a tough one... End of day, I think I'd choose the 50. It isn't out yet, but I absolutely have my eye on that compact 40mm for the Z ;)

KeithL

If I go with a prime, then the 50 vs 35 debate is a tough one... End of day, I think I'd choose the 50. It isn't out yet, but I absolutely have my eye on that compact 40mm for the Z ;)
Yep, a few weeks back I'd have said that 40 can't come soon enough. That said it'll be for street and environmental portraiture, neither of which is on the agenda for some time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Of course I spent a lot of this week walking around with an old style, all-manual 35mm mounted :lol:

Godfrey

I'm torn between my two most-used camera kits at the moment: Either the Leica CL with 1972 Summilux 35/1.4 or Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45P. I shoot with them in almost completely different ways but often of the same subject matter, the differences I see in my results are interesting.

Of course, I could also just stick with the Polaroid SLR670x and a pack of film a week. Hmm, lessee: that's 43 packs of film in 300 days, or about $800 worth of prints. Yikes!

Have to think on this some more... LOL!

G

Shashin

That is an interesting question. What would my lockdown camera be?

I think I would take a Fuji X100V. It is a very complete camera with even a built in ND filter. It is easy to carry. OVF, EVF, and flip screen. You can use it for snaps or more disciplined tripod photography. What I have learnt from my X Pro2 with a 23mm lens is changing aspect ratio can really make for variety in the appearance of your work: 3:2, 1:1, 16:9. Naturally, with digital, you can stitch panos as well. (And it would protect me from the inevitable one camera and two lenses...you guys understand how that goes.)

While I obviously enjoy the quality of larger formats, I really have not enjoyed the weight and bulk. Those are starting to become more of a hindrance to going out and shooting. I have come to appreciate high-quality compact systems. There is really no reason to leave them home and, when you are out, you are ready if inspiration hits you. Hard to do that when the large camera is safely at home in a bag.

Although, if I went big, just for fun I would like an Actus Cambo with a Sigma FP and a medium-format 35mm lens. That would be fun, but in reality, I probably would not get as much use out of it (see above).

Godfrey

Of course, there's another possibility that I just ran into when cleaning up around my desk in the office...

I'd forgotten my Light L16. About the size of a big cell phone, 50 megapixels, near medium-format digital quality, with a 16 camera array that nets 28 to 150mm eqFOV imaging. And you can do 70% of the image processing capable with its native desktop application from raw captures in-camera, output the finished product directly to Flickr.com.

There are just too many potentially fun choices laying about here... :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since I'm not going to travel anywhere anytime soon, size and weight doesn't matter much. I tried the Canon 28-75mm f/2 yesterday. Fantastic lens in every possible way, but huge. That lens, and a Canon R5 with vertical grip.

Godfrey

A better question is one camera, one prime. Zooms shouldn't count
For the sake of Purity, how about one camera, one pinhole? I have the RealitySoSubtle 6x6 ...

Bed & Bears - Santa Clara 2020

Oops! Two pinholes! Oh well, I'll put the Skink Pinhole on my Leica CL and call it done. :D

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A better question is one camera, one prime. Zooms shouldn't count
I agree, for the sake of piety. Which brings me back to my original answer, D780 with 58mm f/1.4.

But to be honest, any camera with more or less any prime lens will do it for me. And if somebody came up to me during my stroll with that camera and lens and told me that this is the combo that you will be allowed to shoot with for the rest of your life, I would live well with that. One worry less, not having to choose what lens and camera to take :thumbup:

And while the above combo is kind of expensive, another combo that will do nearly the same job, at least for stills, a used D700 with a 50mm f/1.8, can be had for around $600 in like new condition. So I'll change again:

D700 with 50mm f/1.8. This is my final bid, at least for today... :lecture:

pegelli

I think I could live the next 300 days with just the Sony A7Riv coupled with the Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN Art.

If I need wider I can stitch, if I need tighter there's plenty pixels for significant cropping and the lens seems to be super sharp, so can stand the cropping as well.
And with f1.2 there's low light capability as well.
Looking back at what I said 6 weeks ago I will remain with my main choice (if I wouldn't go fully mechanical/film). I also personally take a prime over a zoom any day but if someone wants a zoom as his only lens who am I to pass a judgement on that :lecture:

Last edited: