The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Muslin Backgrounds or Other for Portraits For Travel

rollsman44

I have the 2 Lt stands and the Cross bar to hang any kind of background. Not sure which is the best one to use to Go Portable to Clients home and with minimum to No wrinkles. Sometimes I need a white background and other times a Masters Colored one and whatever else I would like to use. trying to find the Best fabric that I can transport and less wrinkles. I have several clamps to hold the material and pull it tight to get the wrinkles out. Thank you

jdphoto

David Mahue ( http://backgroundsbymaheu.com/ProductInfosetdesign)has great backdrops! They come in a variety of materials. Generally, muslin can be folded, but requires an iron or steam to mitigate wrinkles. Canvas can be rolled, but needs to be transported in a tube equal to the width to keep the integrity of the canvas from wrinkles.There's also the option of "pop up" backdrops such as Lastolite that can be folded into a circle for easy transport. Personally, I love heavy muslin/canvas as they lay nicely on a floor with no taping required and add so much character, wrinkles and all!

kdphotography

David Maheu makes great backdrops on higher quality muslin material. You will pay more for better quality backdrops, but the quality shows. Cheap muslins look "cheap" and do not photograph well. A good muslin backdrop will wear well and actually gets softer with use. Wrinkles are really not much of an issue. The best approach if you are worried about wrinkles is to simply move your subject away from the backdrop. The depth of field will nicely blur the background and wrinkles fade away. This is an earlier portrait I posted earlier. It is an old David Maheu backdrop, and one of my favorites. It actually has a lot of wrinkles but I really don't see anything to be concerned with here. No steamer. No need to pull a muslin tight. I have many David Maheu backdrops. Make sure to look at the (Tim) Kelly classics line. www.backgroundsbymaheu.com

For high key using a white backdrop----use strobes to light for high key as normal about a stop over subject exposure and there won't be any wrinkles.

ken

4G3X1194 WEB.jpg

FisherBow

Yeah, it's a madly beautiful background. This fabric so expressively highlights the objects being photographed.