The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Firmware 1.2.0 Adds Focus Bracketing, other features to X1D-II and 907X SE

Steve Hendrix

This is a pretty substantial firmware update, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

Big items are - Focus Bracketing and Video Capture. But numerous additonal elements. Including, custom EVF proximity settings. I was shooting the other day with my glasses on, and trying to keep the EVF from switching the main LCD. This will improve that situation.

This firmware is compatible with original X1D, as well as X1D-II and 907X Apollo Special Edition. XCD lenses wil need to be updated to take advantage of this as well.

We have not yet tested this firmware, so please be cautious.

https://captureintegration.com/firmware-update-1-2-0-brings-focus-bracketing-to-x1d-ii-50c-and-907x-special-edition/

And yes, we are Hasselblad dealers, you won't see Hasselblad on the current website, but we're close to launching an update to this site that has dedicated Hasselblad pages.

jng

Hi Steve,

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize that this latest update could be applied to the original X1D bodies, and therefore didn't pay too much attention to the announcement. Will need to take a closer look.

John

P.S. Looking forward to seeing the updated CI page for Hasselblad. Glad to see that you've opened up another ring of the inferno... :ROTFL:

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve,

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize that this latest update could be applied to the original X1D bodies, and therefore didn't pay too much attention to the announcement. Will need to take a closer look.

John

P.S. Looking forward to seeing the updated CI page for Hasselblad. Glad to see that you've opened up another ring of the inferno... :ROTFL:

Yes, I made sure to check that, I was concerned this would be X1D-II only, but such was not the case.

It is a different firmware version though (same features) for X1D original, so no one should try to update their original X1D with 1.2 firmware for X1D-II (use 1.24 if you have X1D original, use 1.2 if you have X1D-II).

Steve Hendrix/CI

jng

Hmmmm. Apparently firmware v 1.24.0 for the older bodies dates back to Feb 3 of this year. In any case I went ahead and performed the firmware update tonight on my 4116 X1D. I vaguely recall that focus bracketing was deployed on an earlier update but since I do all of my macro studies with the older V system lenses I didn't pay too much attention to it. In any case, the focus bracketing in the latest firmware seems to work fine from a quick test just now. It would be nice if the program would allow one to set the near and far limits and then specify the number of steps in between, rather then just setting either the near or far limit and then guessing how many steps (and of what size) you'd need to traverse the intended distance. I imagine that the focus bracketing feature will come in handy when I'm able to get out again to shoot some landscapes and don't feel like lugging my preferred Cambo kit that affords the advantages of tilt.

The image rating feature does not seem to work, however - pressing the star key merely brings up the Hollywood Squares view of multiple frames. Ah well, first world problems and all...

John

Godfrey

I updated the 907x/CFVII 50c Special Edition and the XCD 45P lens early on Thursday morning.

No problems at all so far, everything works as described.

G

Steve Hendrix

Hmmmm. Apparently firmware v 1.24.0 for the older bodies dates back to Feb 3 of this year. In any case I went ahead and performed the firmware update tonight on my 4116 X1D. I vaguely recall that focus bracketing was deployed on an earlier update but since I do all of my macro studies with the older V system lenses I didn't pay too much attention to it. In any case, the focus bracketing in the latest firmware seems to work fine from a quick test just now. It would be nice if the program would allow one to set the near and far limits and then specify the number of steps in between, rather then just setting either the near or far limit and then guessing how many steps (and of what size) you'd need to traverse the intended distance. I imagine that the focus bracketing feature will come in handy when I'm able to get out again to shoot some landscapes and don't feel like lugging my preferred Cambo kit that affords the advantages of tilt.

The image rating feature does not seem to work, however - pressing the star key merely brings up the Hollywood Squares view of multiple frames. Ah well, first world problems and all...

John

That's right! I was thinking the same thing, that there was some earlier firmware that was only for X1D original users and X1D-II was left out, which I thought was weird. So I made the mistake of thinking 1.2.4 was just released for X1D original, because it sounded close to v1.2. It doesn't have everything that v1.2 has for the X1D-II, though it does have the focus stacking.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

SrMphoto

John
I would not apply FIRMWARE 1.2.0 FOR HASSELBLAD X1D II 50C on X1D Mark 1 (which had focus bracketing added in February this year via 1.24 firmware). I assure you applied the 1.24 firmware update to your Mark 1.

AFAIK, Fuji X-T4 is the only camera that has an "auto" focus bracketing mode that automatically determines the step size and the number of images needed to cover the predefined focus area (predetermined start and end of focus). I wish other manufacturers would follow suit.

SteveG

I just want to take a minute to clarify a few things about this firmware release and compatability.

Firmware v 1.20 is ONLY for the X1D II 50c & the 907X Special Editon.

Firmware v 0.1.24 is ONLY for the XCD 45P lens

These 2 Firmware releases should NOT be installed in the X1D 50c or any XCD lenses other than the XCD 45P.

The latest Firmware for the X1D 50c is v 1.24.0 and was released in Febraury 2020

The latest Firmware for XCD lenses other than the XCD 45P is v 0.5.40 and was released in November 2019

jng

I just want to take a minute to clarify a few things about this firmware release and compatability.

Firmware v 1.20 is ONLY for the X1D II 50c & the 907X Special Editon.

Firmware v 0.1.24 is ONLY for the XCD 45P lens

These 2 Firmware releases should NOT be installed in the X1D 50c or any XCD lenses other than the XCD 45P.

The latest Firmware for the X1D 50c is v 1.24.0 and was released in Febraury 2020

The latest Firmware for XCD lenses other than the XCD 45P is v 0.5.40 and was released in November 2019
Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. The X1D 50c page describing the v 1.24.0 firmware update states that one can now rate images by pressing the star button when in review mode. However this feature was not enabled when I installed the new firmware. This has been out since February - has this come up as an issue among other issues and, if so, is there another update in the works to fix this?

John

SrMphoto

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. The X1D 50c page describing the v 1.24.0 firmware update states that one can now rate images by pressing the star button when in review mode. However this feature was not enabled when I installed the new firmware. This has been out since February - has this come up as an issue among other issues and, if so, is there another update in the works to fix this?

John
Have you activated image ratings in the "Camera Settings - Configuration” menu (page 81 of latest manual)?

jng

Have you activated image ratings in the "Camera Settings - Configuration” menu (page 81 of latest manual)?
Ahhhhh! Found it, thanks! I didn't realize there was an updated "M" to "RTF." :p All is right with the world now.

John

4*Paul

AFAIK said:
Just for the sake of accuracy, the Phase One XF has a very effective auto focus bracketing mode. A Behemoth of a camera, I know, but a highly competent one!
Now back to the X1D thread - sorry for the diversion.

I’ve used the X1D for stacking and it works well enough but there is a lot of guesswork (or experience) needed to make sure that enough images are captured. I suppose it’s just a matter setting it to take more than may be necessary and discarding the rest. A useful addition to competent little camera.
Paul.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
AFAIK, Fuji X-T4 is the only camera that has an "auto" focus bracketing mode that automatically determines the step size and the number of images needed to cover the predefined focus area (predetermined start and end of focus). I wish other manufacturers would follow suit.
Fuji GFX 100 does, too. Probably a bunch of other models as well. Now why don't they implement frame averaging? THAT would be useful (to me... :grin:)