The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One camera, one prime lens

DougDolde

OK no zooms !

My entry and current camera/lens:

Fujifilm GFX-50R and 50mm f3.5 lens. This is my only camera and lens; I could live with just this one lens. Image quality is outstanding

See my Recent Work page for images made with this pair

Photographic Art | Recent Images

C620B177-F036-41B5-B070-DB9138DAE4F2.jpeg

Knorp

I could live with a Fujifilm GFX-50s and GF-50/3.5
But then I guess I could be happy too with many other combinations ... :rolleyes:

pegelli

As in the other thread, Sony A7Riv and the Sigma Art 35/1.2 would be my choice. Plenty room to crop and for wider I can stitch.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What's next? One camera, one lens, one ISO, one Aperture, one RAW converter, standing on one leg,...

OK, either Leica S(006) and S-24mm, or Fuji GFX100 and GF23mm. The former got me better shots, probably because of the absence of Live View. The latter is much easier to get perfect focus and exposure in a much wider range of lighting conditions, but is less spontaneous.

Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Any good camera with any good 50mm equivalent will do for me. One combo that I will probably buy later this year or early next year is the Panasonic G100 with PL 25mm f/1.4. That combo has more or less all I need to take photos and shoot video, and it's small enough to fit in a somewhat big pocket, so it can go anywhere with me.

Thorkil

Fuji X-E3 with XF 18/2, it might be, or Hassy X1D with 45P perhaps, but the latter might not be wide enough for my WA-mind (but then the 18/2 should actually have been a 16 (not the 16/1.4) with same 18/2-form-factor and old-school-rendering-way)

iiiNelson

M10-R with a 24 Elmar or 35 Summicron... or S1R and either the Lumix S Pro 50/1.4 or 35 APO-Cron... I guess if I were to choose today and I couldn’t do zooms.

... if I could do a zoom then I’d choose GFX100 and 32-64/4 or a A7RIV and Tamron 28-200/2.8-5.6.

jdphoto

Hasselblad 500CM w/100mm f/3.5 C lens...film only. For 35mm it would be my Leica M2R with my 50mm Summilux pre ASPH. However, the Canon new F1 w/ the FD 85mm 1.2 L is outstanding. Choosing one is harder than I thought, but because I shoot primarily portraits with strobes, I'd probably stick with the Hasselblad for the higher flash sync.

MartinN

An interesting extension to this poll could be the investigation who shoots with the mentioned camera and lens after, say 5 years and 10 years.

Godfrey

What's next? One camera, one lens, one ISO, one Aperture, one RAW converter, standing on one leg,...

OK, either Leica S(006) and S-24mm, or Fuji GFX100 and GF23mm. The former got me better shots, probably because of the absence of Live View. The latter is much easier to get perfect focus and exposure in a much wider range of lighting conditions, but is less spontaneous.

Matt
Okay, I have a camera that fits this criteria beautifully! My Polaroid SLR670m by MiNT has one fixed lens, takes SX-70 speed film (ISO 160), used in manual exposure mode it has f/8 only, and the RAW converter is built into the film/print unit. I can fit it to a monopod for added stability when shooting.

YAY! :thumbup: I could live with that as my only camera ...

G

:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My personal ideal would be a Nikon Z7 and the 40mm pancake when it comes out. The Fuji GFX 100 with the 50 would be a close second, but no question I will own the Nikon/40 long before I own a GFX kit ;)

jdphoto

An interesting extension to this poll could be the investigation who shoots with the mentioned camera and lens after, say 5 years and 10 years.
Another good reason to shoot film. I bought my first Hasselblad film camera in 2000. I still shoot with a Hasselblad 500CM. It takes many different DB's, but as a film camera, will never be obsolete. DSLR's planned obsolescence cycles (and pricing) are insulting at best. Only to be relegated to history's dust bin of throwaway consumables. There's not much more you can add to digital camera's in regards to tech. IMO, the technology has peaked and photographers have become lazy and reliant on the camera's tech as opposed to originality, technique and fundamentals.

Godfrey

I still make photos with my Olympus E-1, which was new in 2003 and I acquired in 2007. It still makes superb photographs.

I also have two Hasselblad 500CMs, and two A12 backs, and the new CFVII50c back ... the 500CMs weren't getting much use until I acquired the DB: I've made more satisfying exposures with the 500CM since the DB arrived—in March 2020, just before the COVID-19 plague constrained everything—than I had on film with it for a decade.

So it's a matter of perspective: How long is a particular camera viable for your use? "Old" film cameras go out of use through needing too much (expensive) service, or for lack of film, or for being more work to deal with than you can put into film processing and rendering. Old digital cameras go out of use usually because you might want the advantages/improved performance/etc of a newer model; few that are not mistreated ever actually break or wear out.

If you're happy with the results you get from any camera, with a little care in handling nearly all of them can last forever ... Unless you're doing something with them that implies extensive wear to the limits of their mechanical parts.

G

B L

One lens,one camera? 38mm Biogon bolted on SWC. Plus an A12 back for square and P25 for crops. In good lighting it is almost point and shoot.
And it is the real mother of new 907X !

Godfrey

One lens,one camera? 38mm Biogon bolted on SWC. Plus an A12 back for square and P25 for crops. In good lighting it is almost point and shoot.
And it is the real mother of new 907X !
That is certainly one of the reasons why I bought the 907x + XCD 21mm lens. :)

G