The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XH Adaptor for X1D with Following lenses with AF

rollsman44

Please note that the HC/HCD Lens must have firmware 18.0.0 or later. Lenses with older firmware have hardware that cannot be updated with this firmware. They can only be used with manual focus on the X1D.
As of firmware version 1.21.0, the X1D supports the XH Lens Adapter with auto focus for the following lenses:
HCD 4,8/24, HCD 4/28, HC 3,5/35, HC 3,5/50, HC 3,5/50-II, HC 2,8/80, HC 2,2/100, HC 3,2/150 N, HC 4/210, HC 4,5/300, HC 3,5-4,5/50-110, HCD 4,0-5,6/35-90

Here is my question: If my X1D has the firmware 1.21.0 and later then am I able us use one of these lenses with AF?
OR Do I need the Lens to have firmware 18.0.0 PLUS The X1D firmware of 1.21.0 Do I need Both ?
Thanks Dennis

B L

Very valid questions raised by Dennis, I think for questions like these someone from Hasselblad should come and respond. I shall give full marks to Doug Peterson and Mr Hendrix for their participations as soon as Phase One or C1 related questions asked.
Not everyone has access to all those HB lenses Dennis listed, so Victor Hasselblad,if you are listening....

rollsman44

Thank you B-L I appreciate it. Hopefully, a lot of others interested in doing this will have more info. Thanks Dennis

tcdeveau

All of the “orange dot” HC/HCD lenses will AF with the XH/X1D, but only the later serial number non-orange dot HC/HCD lenses with 1.18 FW and above will AF with the XH/X1D.

Body firmware is a trivial issue since FW is available for download for free, so if you have the body there’s no reason not to update to the latest FW version...:which should support HC/HCD AF as long as the lens has the proper FW.

Hasselblad support is generally pretty responsive (replies within a business day or two), you can also follow up with them.

rollsman44

Thank you. How do I know which Serial Numbers will work with AF? Is there a list of ser #'s that will let me know. TY Dennis

Godfrey

Please note that the HC/HCD Lens must have firmware 18.0.0 or later. Lenses with older firmware have hardware that cannot be updated with this firmware. They can only be used with manual focus on the X1D.
As of firmware version 1.21.0, the X1D supports the XH Lens Adapter with auto focus for the following lenses:
HCD 4,8/24, HCD 4/28, HC 3,5/35, HC 3,5/50, HC 3,5/50-II, HC 2,8/80, HC 2,2/100, HC 3,2/150 N, HC 4/210, HC 4,5/300, HC 3,5-4,5/50-110, HCD 4,0-5,6/35-90
Here is my question: If my X1D has the firmware 1.21.0 and later then am I able us use one of these lenses with AF?
OR Do I need the Lens to have firmware 18.0.0 PLUS The X1D firmware of 1.21.0 Do I need Both ?
Thanks Dennis
You should have quoted the section of your post that you copy and pasted from the Hasselblad.com "XH Lens Adapter" web page so as to be ensure readers know that these statements were official from Hasselblad.

I don't understand what is unclear in their statements. When I read them, I understood them to mean: In order to use an H system lens with the X1D and obtain autofocus capability, the lens must have firmware 18.0.0 or later installed, and camera body must be updated to at least firmware revision 1.21.0. Both conditions must be satisfied to ensure autofocus capability.

These statements logically lead to the following set of conditions and actions:

• If you don't own a lens yet, and have a body, you must update the body to at least firmware v1.21.0 to obtain autofocus capability with this adapter and the list of lenses offered. This step is necessary for all the remaining conditions.
  • If you have lenses already, check them first with an H system body to ensure that they have at least firmware revision 18.0.0 in order to ensure that they will autofocus on the X1D and XH Adapter.
  • If you're buying a new lens that's included on the list, it will have the latest firmware and will be compatible with autofocus. (It is, of course, reasonable to check its firmware revision anyway to be sure.)
  • If are buying a secondhand lens and it is on the list, before you buy it you must check whether the lens firmware is v18.0.0 or later. Don't buy lenses without this firmware revision at minimum if you wish to have autofocus capability.

G

fjablo

Thanks @all for the really helpful information. It seems my HC 80 is from 2013.. :facesmack:

Does anyone know how to find out the firmware version of the lens on a H3Dii or in Phocus? It seems to only show the body firmware in the menu.

I don't think AF is really necessary - I mostly use MF anyway with the H3D. But already having a fully featured 80mm at home would definitely be an argument in favor of a future X1D acquisition :grin:

Godfrey

Thanks @all for the really helpful information. It seems my HC 80 is from 2013.. :facesmack:

Does anyone know how to find out the firmware version of the lens on a H3Dii or in Phocus? It seems to only show the body firmware in the menu.

I don't think AF is really necessary - I mostly use MF anyway with the H3D. But already having a fully featured 80mm at home would definitely be an argument in favor of a future X1D acquisition :grin:
The lens firmware version is possibly coded into the original image file metadata somewhere. You can extract that with tools like EXIFtool and then hunt through it. Or send a note to Hasselblad support and see if they can give you a definitive method to find it, either in EXIF or by some other means.

I've never owned or used an H system Hasselblad (body or lens) so I don't know much else about the specifics there.

G

fjablo

Exiftool couldn't find the firmware data and it seems registering on the Hasselblad website also doesn't help because it shows the latest firmware for the product, regardless of serial number. Probably best to check via a local distributor on a H6D or X1D :)

Edit: I was kindly given the answer in a PM (thanks again!) -> on older H bodies you can find the lens firmware on the grip via "menu" button - "settings" - "system status"

Last edited:

rollsman44

OK all this Info is Very Helpful. Here is my question: Once I get the set # from the seller ( Buying used lens) What ser # will let me know if it has the Latest firmware? If they can tell me with the body which firmware it has thats great, Done deal. If they dont have the body to tell and they provide the ser #, what series of numbers do I look for to ensure it has the Latest FW

fjablo

OK all this Info is Very Helpful. Here is my question: Once I get the set # from the seller ( Buying used lens) What ser # will let me know if it has the Latest firmware? If they can tell me with the body which firmware it has thats great, Done deal. If they dont have the body to tell and they provide the ser #, what series of numbers do I look for to ensure it has the Latest FW
You can derive the year the lens was produced with the serial number and apparently if it's from 2014 or newer, the lens should either have the firmware or can be upgraded to the newer firmware.

From the link shared above "...the third and fourth letters (starting from the left) of the serial number provide the year of manufacture when the following code is applied: VHPICTURES = 1234567890 For example the code SP would correspond to 03 = 2003"