The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV II 50C and LCC?

nameBrandon

Hey all,

Just getting around to doing some tests on the CFVii50c and the 40HR T/S, and it has an unusual distortion pattern, so I was looking at how that might be corrected. I ran two corrections (One with Capture One and one with PS+Alpa Lens Corrector) and I'm curious to get your thoughts on which seems less distorted after correction (or if they're both equivalent). Including the uncorrected file as well.

No shift at all here.

Code:
CFVii50c + Alpa 1000 + Rodenstock 4/40-HR Cambo Mount
f/11 .. 1 second .. iso 200

B0001012-uncorrected.tif - Lightroom RAW conversion. No adjustments. Camera Standard Profile.

B0001012-corrected-alpa-photoshop.tif - Alpa Lens Corrector 1.4 - (Photoshop CC 20.2) - HX1D/ALPA_Alpagon40_HX1D_S33_v9.lcf

B0001012-corrected-captureone-11.tif - Capture One 11.3.2 - Phase One IQ250 Tungsten / Film Standard Profile - Lens Correction / ROdenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0/40 mm - "Hide Distorted Areas" - Distortion = 120 - Sharpness = 0 - Light Falloff = 120
Full-sized (TIFF) Files for review..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wcm0788lo49muxi/AACYB59TAyCGk6BBnflMFj4ua?dl=0

archivue

hi, Anyone have used it with the rodenstock 28 ?

My arca rm3d is sleeping... i'm using a Fuji GFX without the hassle of LCC with Pentax 35, Canon TS-e 50 and 90... and even the laowa 17(no mvt).
I wish i could use again my 28 on my arca with with this back, but i'm not certain it will be perfect... and alloowed some movements.

mristuccia

Hey all,

Just getting around to doing some tests on the CFVii50c and the 40HR T/S, and it has an unusual distortion pattern, so I was looking at how that might be corrected. I ran two corrections (One with Capture One and one with PS+Alpa Lens Corrector) and I'm curious to get your thoughts on which seems less distorted after correction (or if they're both equivalent). Including the uncorrected file as well.

No shift at all here.

Code:
CFVii50c + Alpa 1000 + Rodenstock 4/40-HR Cambo Mount
f/11 .. 1 second .. iso 200

B0001012-uncorrected.tif - Lightroom RAW conversion. No adjustments. Camera Standard Profile.

B0001012-corrected-alpa-photoshop.tif - Alpa Lens Corrector 1.4 - (Photoshop CC 20.2) - HX1D/ALPA_Alpagon40_HX1D_S33_v9.lcf

B0001012-corrected-captureone-11.tif - Capture One 11.3.2 - Phase One IQ250 Tungsten / Film Standard Profile - Lens Correction / ROdenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0/40 mm - "Hide Distorted Areas" - Distortion = 120 - Sharpness = 0 - Light Falloff = 120
Full-sized (TIFF) Files for review..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wcm0788lo49muxi/AACYB59TAyCGk6BBnflMFj4ua?dl=0
Hi Brandon,

to me the Alpa-corrected one seems the one that is better corrected as far as distortion is concerned, but it lacks any compensation of the peripheral light fall-off.
The C1-corrected one has the vignetting correction applied, but it seems to me it still has some barrel distortion in it.
Nothing scientific here, comments coming just by looking at the images.

nameBrandon

Hi Brandon,

to me the Alpa-corrected one seems the one that is better corrected as far as distortion is concerned, but it lacks any compensation of the peripheral light fall-off.
The C1-corrected one has the vignetting correction applied, but it seems to me it still has some barrel distortion in it.
Nothing scientific here, comments coming just by looking at the images.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, glad to have another opinion. The light fall-off is the easier of the two to correct for, so I think that's reasonable to work into the flow with the Photoshop / Alpa corrector plugin. It will be far less work than what I was having to do to get the Hasselblad raw file into CaptureOne to apply their correction..! :\

LonnaTucker

hi, Anyone have used it with the rodenstock 28 ?

My arca rm3d is sleeping... i'm using a Fuji GFX without the hassle of LCC with Pentax 35, Canon TS-e 50 and 90... and even the laowa 17(no mvt).
I wish i could use again my 28 on my arca with with this back, but i'm not certain it will be perfect... and alloowed some movements.
I'm late to this thread, but I use Rm3di too. Arca now has a rotating adapter plate for the Rm3di to mount GFX 50R. This combination works with any Hasselblad V lens, Canon lens, and Pentax 645 manual lens using the R-line bayonet adapters for each lens brand.

LCC not required with internal focusing lenses, but I do not mind as it cleans up dust issues in a snap. If you are stitching frames, this is a time saver.

55mm is the widest lens that works with Fuji GFX flange focal distance. I use the Schneider 60mm, Rodenstock 90mm, Canon TSE Lenses for wides, and Hasselblad V 110mm when using the GFX on the Rm3di. Unfortunately, my 40mm won't work with the Fuji.

LonnaTucker

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, glad to have another opinion. The light fall-off is the easier of the two to correct for, so I think that's reasonable to work into the flow with the Photoshop / Alpa corrector plugin. It will be far less work than what I was having to do to get the Hasselblad raw file into CaptureOne to apply their correction..! :\
I'm testing the new Hasselblad DB, and yesterday I processed some files through Phocus. Have to say - what a disappointment that software is.

I also regularly use Capture One and now Lightroom, but have only processed LCC reference frames with applied corrections using Capture One and Leaf Capture (years ago with Leaf).

I was not an early fan of Lightroom. It's raw file rendering was full of artifacts and weirdness, but I gave it a try recently with some of my Fuji GFX files. It's vastly improved and I actually like the color editor workflow better than C1. I do prefer the use of layers in C1, so I go back and forth depending on needs. Phocus has some layers interface, but with limited editing capability.

To me, Phocus has a bad interface and processed smooth areas of gradations (like skies) poorly. Using a technical lens with movements, I decided to try Lightroom and the Flat field correction. This is available only through the Library Module. Once there, go to your thumbnails and choose the LCC file and the image to be corrected. Go to top menu > Library > Flat field correction. This opens a dialog box and I clicked ok to accept the defaults. This processes the light falloff and color cast in one step and takes just a second. Watch the highlighted image to be corrected and you will see the correction applied. So, this was my first try and very simple. I need to evaluate further, but I see it as a viable option when you might need to use Lightroom either as a preference or for special needs.

This is early testing for me. I'll be doing more next week. I may change my mind!

nameBrandon

I'm testing the new Hasselblad DB, and yesterday I processed some files through Phocus. Have to say - what a disappointment that software is.

I also regularly use Capture One and now Lightroom, but have only processed LCC reference frames with applied corrections using Capture One and Leaf Capture (years ago with Leaf).

I was not an early fan of Lightroom. It's raw file rendering was full of artifacts and weirdness, but I gave it a try recently with some of my Fuji GFX files. It's vastly improved and I actually like the color editor workflow better than C1. I do prefer the use of layers in C1, so I go back and forth depending on needs. Phocus has some layers interface, but with limited editing capability.

To me, Phocus has a bad interface and processed smooth areas of gradations (like skies) poorly. Using a technical lens with movements, I decided to try Lightroom and the Flat field correction. This is available only through the Library Module. Once there, go to your thumbnails and choose the LCC file and the image to be corrected. Go to top menu > Library > Flat field correction. This opens a dialog box and I clicked ok to accept the defaults. This processes the light falloff and color cast in one step and takes just a second. Watch the highlighted image to be corrected and you will see the correction applied. So, this was my first try and very simple. I need to evaluate further, but I see it as a viable option when you might need to use Lightroom either as a preference or for special needs.

This is early testing for me. I'll be doing more next week. I may change my mind!

Good stuff, Lonna! Yes, as Hasselblad shooters we're limited to either Phocus or LR for LCC corrections, unless you wish to go through the rather annoying "hacking" of getting a Hasselblad raw file into Capture One. I used Capture One myself from ~2013-2019 before switching back to LR, so I'm pretty well versed in both. You're right, there are certainly pros and cons for each, but these days since I shoot mainly with Hasselblad (and a bit of Sony) I just find it easier to do it all in LR.

LR seems to be doing a pretty decent job of LCC correction from my perspective. I use Phocus when shooting tethered to my laptop, but that's about it. The area where both have fallen short has been in lens correction for distortion for SK and Rodenstock lenses. C1 seems to have this solved, but Phocus doesn't have the profiles, nor does LR. The Alpa tool in PS has been the only other solution I've been able to devise outside of hacking the raw files to get them into C1 (C1 does have all of the proper profiles).

Looking forward to more of your testing!!

I'm totally reviving an old post, and I'm not sure how much value this will add, but I found this topic pretty interest. Interesting enough to order an LCC card to test the lenses on my Arcbody. I know it's not recommended or supported but since I have one, and love it for film, I thought I'd have a go since I haven't seem actually results. Currently the PNW weather is having a spring tantrum, but these are the LCC images for the 45mm with the CFV 50c ii back shifted down from 0mm to 30mm in 5mm increments. I shot these outdoors pointed at our house so the images aren't that interesting but I thought the LCC shots painted the picture pretty well.

Rodenstock 45mm Color Casts.png

I hope to shoot some proper images later in the week. I also have the 35mm but I'm sure that one will behave worse.