The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 907x SE Control Grip and Optical Viewfinder Announced

nameBrandon

I wonder what is different about the "new" CFVII 50c that it cannot run the older firmware? This little note confused me and causes me to question if I should have waited before ordering the 907x? :) Godfrey, what is your take?

And where were you able to pre-order the grip and finder?

Kind regards,

Glenn
I imagine most of us pre-ordered through CI or DT. Steve from CI actually posted in the thread and his contact info is there in his signature if you want to pre-order.

I'm guessing there's really no physical difference, but probably something that prevents loading earlier firmware on the chrome CFVii50c so that those owners don't get the "special edition" boot-up logo, etc.. I doubt it's anything truly different, probably just look and feel that they're restricting.

glennedens

Brandon, thank you, I don't have mine yet so I didn't know there was a special startup screen, that would then make sense to merit different firmware. I ordered today and likely got the last one (according to that large online retailer).

Thank you for the info on pre-order I didn't put 2 and 2 together :) I'll give Steve a call.

Kind regards,

Glenn

nameBrandon

Brandon, thank you, I don't have mine yet so I didn't know there was a special startup screen, that would then make sense to merit different firmware. I ordered today and likely got the last one (according to that large online retailer).

Thank you for the info on pre-order I didn't put 2 and 2 together :) I'll give Steve a call.

Kind regards,

Glenn
Wow! I can't believe you found one, I was pretty much convinced they were all sold out.. I'd been checking retailers daily as sort of a clue for when they might actually announce the chrome version. My guess is closer to September.

glennedens

Yes, I was surprised as well, randomly checked this morning and there was stock, called to check if that was accurate and ordered it (although I swore I was going to wait for the "generic" chrome version, sigh). I was told it was the last one they expected to receive although it now says backordered again rather than no longer available so who knows? I think you are correct that Hasselblad likely would like to run down the Special Edition inventory. My worst (silly) fear is they've been busy and made improvements that I might care about, ah such is digital.

Although I'm getting us way off topic, apologies to the OP.

Kind regards,

Glenn

nathantw

Kind regards,

Glenn
I knew I'd find the person that purchased the last one here at this forum. I saw it online and then 5 minutes later it was gone. Congrats!

glennedens

Nathan, guilty as charged - apologies :) although there was some consternation that it was actually in stock so we'll see when/if I get a shipping notice. Safe bet it would be someone here. I've lived through the entire X-System journey so far - 4116 to X1Dii to now hopefully the 907x/CFVII50 - I'm intrigued with the 907x grip and viewfinder, however I'm pretty sure I will continue to use the X1Dii a lot. I did enjoy using the SWC in the film days so that's why I'm looking forward to the viewfinder.

Kind regards,

Glenn

I knew I'd find the person that purchased the last one here at this forum. I saw it online and then 5 minutes later it was gone. Congrats!

Godfrey

I wonder what is different about the "new" CFVII 50c that it cannot run the older firmware? This little note confused me and causes me to question if I should have waited before ordering the 907x? :) Godfrey, what is your take?

And where were you able to pre-order the grip and finder?
Remember that a digital camera (and the CFVII 50c back) is essentially an embedded computer system. I suspect the limitation that the 'standard' release of the CFVII 50c "cannot run the older firmware" is a simple consequence of the fact that the software for it has encryption such that you cannot load older versions of the software once the latest version has been installed ... same as your iPhone or Android, iPad, etc. ... because they only have a forward update mechanism for it (the authentication keys do not allow bidirectional deconvolution). It's a tool to prevent mistaken 'downgrading' of the device by users trying to load the wrong software, and also to help prevent bugs and other virii from propagating (remember that the CFVII 50c with a built-in WiFi hotspot is also a communications carrier).

The start up screen for the Special Edition model can be triggered by the boot-up sequence simply finding the internal identity of the back and providing a different startup graphic ... that's no big deal at all. I don't think there's any hardware difference between the SE version and the latest standard version other than the kind of typical component drift that might occur when a new resistor that replaces an original resistor gets adopted because the old one was aged out of production and a replacement sourced, etc. If there WAS a significant difference, it would likely be ballyhooed by marketing as a new feature or capability.

I also suspect that one of the reasons the standard version has taken a while to surface is that Hasselblad wanted to be ready with these accessories for that introduction ... It's one thing to be late delivering the accessories you showed at announcement date for a special edition that some subset of the community is willing to pay a premium to own because it's a special edition; it's quite another to not have important accessories available for the standard production line model when it ships because this is when the bulk of the users who might want a new product will be buying. The introduction of even the Special Edition was delayed by a few months from their prognostication at announcement time (which had to be keyed to the Apollo First Landing celebration) most likely from delays in sorting out the final bugs needed to allow release. The standard edition means having to be that much more well-sorted at release time, with a short or no delay to the essential accessories ... AND THEN no way to know that a global pandemic of devastating impact on people, business, shipping, etc would all happen right in the middle of the ramp up.

It's a fun game being a hardware manufacturer. :D

A particular little language beef of mine: I didn't "pre-order" anything. I honestly don't know what a "pre-order" is—What distinguishes a pre-order from any other order for an announced, future product that isn't shipping quite yet? I've ordered many products over the years that weren't available yet but were scheduled to be available within a near-term future time. I place an order based on an announcement and a price estimate, when the product comes in I pay the money and it's shipped to me. The whole notion of a "pre-order" is semantically confused far as I'm concerned ... Is that an order I place before the actual order or what? LOL! :)

But anyway: I just spoke with the same dealer I bought the 907x from (Denny Semick at Dodd Camera in Cleveland, Ohio) and told him to place me on his order list for whenever the grip and viewfinder become available. I've been very happy to do business with Denny and Dodd Camera over the course of the past year. Now I sit back and wait for the products to come into stock and get shipped to me... I'm not in any rush at all. Once they get here, I'll figure out how to use them best for my photography... :thumbup:

G

elm

Wish the information like f-stop, shutter speed and focus point could be projected onto the optical viewfinder--a-la 903/905 SWC! Since there are contacts everywhere on 907x, wish that could be put on the wish list on the next version! All of you who ordered the grip and finder, hope you get it soon and enjoy! Keep on showing your photos in the other threads with the kit! Many thanks in advance.

DB5

I would be very interested in the 907x if it had an external EVF, something like the OVF here.

Where the cold shoe fits at the top of the body, are there any kind of electrical contacts that we may see an EVF in future?

SrMphoto

I would be very interested in the 907x if it had an external EVF, something like the OVF here.

Where the cold shoe fits at the top of the body, are there any kind of electrical contacts that we may see an EVF in future?
There are no electrical contacts where the OVF is mounted.

Godfrey

Wish the information like f-stop, shutter speed and focus point could be projected onto the optical viewfinder--a-la 903/905 SWC! Since there are contacts everywhere on 907x, wish that could be put on the wish list on the next version! All of you who ordered the grip and finder, hope you get it soon and enjoy! Keep on showing your photos in the other threads with the kit! Many thanks in advance.
With the 903/905SWC, it's simply a periscope looking at the lens control dials below it. Impossible with the 907x since XCD lenses do not have external markings on the lenses for these things.

The only possibility for an EVF in the same location as the upcoming viewfinder is a further rev of the control grip with a cable interface to feed a signal to the EVF. I doubt that will ever happen, but never say never. :)

G

jdphoto

Really loved my 903 SWC and regret selling it. However, the 907 cannot be considered if it doesn't shoot film. My 500CM waits for a CFV 16 or Phase 25+ "fat back", but can't help lusting a bit over the 907x.

elm

I regret selling my 903 SWC too to go digital with a H3DII-31! I guess if I miss it that much, with the price of the 907x + CFVII 50c + 45P, I could buy another 903/905 SWC for the same money and continue to shoot film.

That said, I can still shoot film with my 5xx cameras, less the 38mm on the SWC. With the CFVII 50c, I can do film and digital. The 907x will provide me with the potential of the x-series and evolve with my HB equipment. At the end of the day, it is using the right tool for the right application.

The 907x + CFVII 50c + 21mm + optical finder sounds very much like the 903/905 SWC but digital! I'm looking to having that in my tool kit (thank all those who have shared images from their kits!).

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I regret selling my 903 SWC too to go digital with a H3DII-31! I guess if I miss it that much, with the price of the 907x + CFVII 50c + 45P, I could buy another 903/905 SWC for the same money and continue to shoot film.

That said, I can still shoot film with my 5xx cameras, less the 38mm on the SWC. With the CFVII 50c, I can do film and digital. The 907x will provide me with the potential of the x-series and evolve with my HB equipment. At the end of the day, it is using the right tool for the right application.

The 907x + CFVII 50c + 21mm + optical finder sounds very much like the 903/905 SWC but digital! I'm looking to having that in my tool kit (thank all those who have shared images from their kits!).
I wish there would be a WA lens between the 21mm and the 30mm .
I find the 21mm extremely wide and I can not make up my mind between the 21 and 30 .
But I will get the (chrome) CFV II 50 c + the 907x and put the 907x in the glass cabinet .

DB5

With the 903/905SWC, it's simply a periscope looking at the lens control dials below it. Impossible with the 907x since XCD lenses do not have external markings on the lenses for these things.

The only possibility for an EVF in the same location as the upcoming viewfinder is a further rev of the control grip with a cable interface to feed a signal to the EVF. I doubt that will ever happen, but never say never. :)

G
I agree, I don't think this will happen. The only thing that would make sense to me would be electrical contacts where the OVF is fitted.

This is a real shame to me and in my opinion, a missed opportunity. Although i understand others are very happy with it. An eye level EVF would make it a truly modular and very usable camera to me.

For me personally, I can not imagine ever using a camera with just a screen. That relegates it to a novelty position in my opinion.

I do not understand this at all, such a shame.

elm

I was looking at the manual yesterday and if I had the OVF connected to the 907x and setting the back on P (program) or Auto, it becomes a point and shoot camera since the finder will provide a point of focus. It really becomes a true "a-la" SWC! I am really looking forward to having one of these kits and just enjoy all the candid photos I can make with it. The large files will let me make whatever correction and cropping that is needed. Really looking forward to using this kit to make some fun images! (Those of you who have one, please keep the fun images coming!!!!!)

(Yes, I hope Hasselblad hear us and in a future release, build some contacts to enable an EVF which would make this camera an amazing tool! Imagine a tool that will complement the XDx and let us use all the other products Hasselblad are making/made as tools of the trade--even back to 1957! No other platform will be able to advertise that!!! Forward thinking and keeping all its impressive legacy and reputation!)

nameBrandon

I wish there would be a WA lens between the 21mm and the 30mm .
I find the 21mm extremely wide and I can not make up my mind between the 21 and 30 .
But I will get the (chrome) CFV II 50 c + the 907x and put the 907x in the glass cabinet .
The distortion on the 21 made me pick the 30mm.. That and the only reason I would use 21 would be landscape/cityscape and if that opportunity arose to shoot that, I'd prefer to get out the technical camera and use the cfvii50c as the DB. The 30mm was just more usable in more situations for how I shoot.

DB5

I must be getting really old. I don't have to use my imagination to remember using a camera with just a screen (and an optical viewfinder). And before that, using a camera with no screen and just an OVF. In more recent times, I enjoyed using a Leica M rangefinder camera with just a screen (and an OVF). And a Leica S Type 006. As I said, I must be getting really old.

Don't let your imagination be a limiting factor in exploring new tools. The 907X is different, but not a novelty.

Joe
Eh? Ha. You're assuming a whole lot there.

I'm sadly old enough too and I still do it. Much larger screen on a 5x4 though, isn't it? And it's a whole different process, for a start being tripod bound.

On a handheld camera, looking at a screen, just no. No thanks. I have shot with WLF's all my life on Blads, Mamiya's & Fuji GX (actually they have been my preference over a prism), but almost never without the flip up magnifier. You can't check focus without the magnifier easily and quickly. You certainly can't rely on high res digital without magnifying, and you're not going to do that with this thing without hunching down and probably shielding it with your hands. I can also imagine it is ridiculous doing it in very bright conditions with it pointing up to the sky (it would be no different to the ground glass on a Blad without the magnifier up and actually worse given no shielding) with reflections and a dim screen—why would you when you can just look into a finder? Using a flip up magnifier on a WLF isn't anything like using the live view zoom which is slow and clunky in comparison to just looking and seeing the whole image. And what, you're going to have to buy and manage 10 batteries because you need to boost the screen to maximum brightness in bright conditions just to see it and it's still going to be dim and full of reflections? Naaah. My imagination can see all that quite easily, thanks.

There is no reason at all not to have a finder that you don't look into unless you're shooting sheet film.

And staring at the back of that small screen in portrait rotation, at arms length, squinting to try see focus on a 3 day shoot is going to suck.

I never use my Leica M or any of my cameras with the screen. Why would you?

Also, my imagination sees some clients, especially the more annoying art and creative directors reaction to using something they're just not going to take seriously. They won't be ready for that, it looks like a toy, they worry. Once they see the results it doesn't matter but I've had these conversations plenty of time with unusual gear and it's just an abrasion, even if a short lived one, that I don't need on a shoot with a new client and even ones I have, there's one in particular who is just weird about that stuff. These things unfortunately matter too.

My imagination says no thanks. I think it will have it's uses for some people but for the most part without an EVF it will be limited in use and a novelty. I may, potentially, slap the back on the 203 or 555 though but I want to be able to use the new lenses too, so...

But WHY? Why do they make something as interesting as this and then screw it up by bringing it out without basic functionality? Dump the H and the X1D and just focus on this. The V system is the one of the best and most iconic of all time and I rued the day they moved to the H (which I have several of and have never loved like I do the V). The V is right there for them to capitalise on, it's legendary and beautiful and makes me feel like I'm using a camera in the same way I feel when using the Leica M. It doesn't feel like a gadget, which this live view only EVF sorta feels like to me sorry to say.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I see the 907x/CFVII 50c camera a bit differently. I don't see it as a competitor to the X1D line. I see it as an extension of the V system.

I bought the camera because I can fit the back on my 1978 500CMs and make them into modern, digital capture machines ... retaining all the goodness of their original design and workflow. AF has never been very important to me. Yes, the format change is significant ... But I set the back to square crop and drop down one focal length in my V system lenses, and I have the same thing that the 500CM captures... Done.

The 907x body coupled with the digital back opens up the system to lens adaptation: It works very nicely with most of my Leica R lenses and macro gear (bellows, BEOON, etc), a few of my Leica M lenses, and with the V system lenses. Also with pinholes and zone plates.

I've always used a Hasselblad 500CM primarily on a tripod and work the same way with the 907x. It suits me well this way. So the use of the LCD as the primary viewfinder is no problem at all. For tripod use, a good L-bracket make full rectangular format easy to deal with. The X1D body with its built-in EVF is much handier for hand-held, eye-level shooting: If that is your priority, that's the body you should go with.

The LCD becomes really easy to focus with manually when I'm using a tripod ... Turn on focus peaking and I can see the in-out of focus pop quickly for coarse focusing and high DoF settings. Turn focus peaking off and double-tap the screen for full zoom and critical focus with wide open settings.

The 907x gives me access to the X and H system lens lines, X natively and H through the adapter, with AF capability. The XCD 21 lens on the 907x body, cropped square, nets me an all digital capture SWC. The combination of the body with the optical viewfinder and grip nets a shooting workflow virtually identical to that of the SWC ... no need for the LCD viewfinder for hand-held shooting in that idiom, but when you want precision framing (and you're using a camera stand or tripod) you don't need to do the focusing back/film back juggle by just using the LCD. With the back and grip, I go to full-format use more because it makes it a cinch to flip the camera from H to V orientation.

The XCD 45P on the 907x fitted with the grip and the optical viewfinder gives me the same excellent viewing/shooting workflow as I had with the Leica X typ 113 using an optical viewfinder with one added benefit: one press on the X button and the focus point is centered—the viewfinder has a center indicator. So it's easy to let the AF work and target what I want precisely. (Same goes for the 21mm lens too.)

Bottom line is that I have been looking at the X1D since it was first announced and have almost bought one several times. But that kind of eye-level, hand-held shooting isn't my priority with MF-D cameras. It's something the Leica M, CL, SL and other smaller format digital cameras do so well I really don't see the point of buying a camera with a bigger sensor just to replicate what they do with bigger lenses. The 907x suits me better: The back brings my V system Hasselblads up to digital capture gracefully, and the 907x body's modular design expands my lens options and shooting capabilities. The necessary fixtures to make full use of it ... grips, optical viewfinder, etc ... just add to its value for my uses and make it even more flexible.

It's not a camera for everyone's use. The X1D, the H system, the Leica S, the Fuji GFX series, etc etc, all have their different take on MF-D use and workflow. Why disparage one in preference to the other when they're all excellent performers and all suit various diffrent photographers' use niches well, even if any specific one doesn't suit YOUR use as well as some other might? Just pick the right one for your uses and give a pass to the others that aren't for you.

I also miss my SWC, both the original 903SWC and the earlier 1978 500 SWC that I owned after it. Two of my favorite cameras. But I found that I didn't use the second one as much as I'd thought I would because my uses now are more geared to digital capture. I sold the second one to help fund the 907x + XCD 21 lens, and I'm delighted with that combination as a proper replacement. Yeah, sure: I only get 39 Mpixels out of the square crop frame that way. You know what? 39 Mpixels is just fine by me. :D

G