The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

glennedens

Dave, thank you for the kind words, we each make art for many reasons, for me hearing that any work is inspiring to someone is the supreme compliment. Kind regards, Glenn

Glenn, as others have expressed, your drawings are both an inspiration and a catalyst for bringing back fond memories of the earlier days at NASA. I too was a big space buff, listening to my tiny portable transistor radio hidden in my elementary school bag of the early Mercury launches (also did the same when listening to the World Series in those days until the teacher caught me doing so :)). I used to attempt to draw the curvature of the moon in the upper right hand corner on drawing paper and the curvature of the earth at the lower left hand corner showing the the Mercury-Redstone launch vehicle blasting off. My drawings were quite crude but my imagination was part of it, which ultimately led to a multitude of astronomy classes at the Hayden Planetarium in NYC while in Jr. High School (middle school). Thanks for sharing your creative talents!

Dave (D&A)

scho

Is there a new manual for the 907x50C or still the same as the special ed version?

Godfrey

Yes, new manuals are available for the chrome 907X-50C & the CFV-II-50C.
https://www.hasselblad.com/my-hasselblad/#/downloads?product=154
Thank you Glaiben for the link .:thumbs:
I have downloaded and stored the new manual .
Hasselblad has been very good about the manuals so far. They've issued a new manual set with each firmware update for the 907x/CFVII 50c, as well as for the X1D series (I think). Each updated manual contains additional information that pertains to added features in the firmware update.

That's not to say the manuals are perfect, but they're pretty good! :D

G

VBlad

Any ideas what would be the price for just the digital back?

I started using V system 15 years ago, and gradually built up my line up. With diminishing product and service of film, I stoped shooting blad a few years ago and turned to Leica digital. Those hassy equipment just sit there for collecting the dusts. Recently I feel I miss using my V system a lot. I want to resume shooting Hasselblad with CFV ii 50c.

I am a full frame shooter. I hope Hasselblad will eventually roll out a full frame digital back for V system, at least 6x4.5 format if not 6x6 (my preferred format). Hassy already has 6x4.5 full frame for its H system.

SrMphoto

I started using V system 15 years ago, and gradually built up my line up. With diminishing product and service of film, I stoped shooting blad a few years ago and turned to Leica digital. Those hassy equipment just sit there for collecting the dusts. Recently I feel I miss using my V system a lot. I want to resume shooting Hasselblad with CFV ii 50c.

I am a full frame shooter. I hope Hasselblad will eventually roll out a full frame digital back for V system, at least 6x4.5 format if not 6x6 (my preferred format). Hassy already has 6x4.5 full frame for its H system.

Hasselblad H6D cameras use 4:3 (crop) medium format sensors. Which camera uses 6x4.5 full-frame and isn't 'full-frame' typically defined as 3:2?

tcdeveau

Hasselblad H6D cameras use 4:3 (crop) medium format sensors. Which camera uses 6x4.5 full-frame and isn't 'full-frame' typically defined as 3:2?
It's all relative....regarding digital medium format sensors, "full-frame" typically means 54x40mm 4:3 sensors, as opposed to the "cropped" 44x33mm 4:3 sensors, and all digital medium format sensors are cropped compared to some medium format film sizes.

The Hasselblad H6D-50c uses a "cropped" 44x33mm 4:3 sensor (same one in the X1D/CFVII/and every other 50mp medium format camera on the market), the Hasselblad H6D-100c uses a "full-frame" 54x40mm 4:3 sensor.

Full-frame 35mm (Nikon/Sony/Canon/etc), on the other hand, typically means 36x24mm 3:2 sensors

Godfrey

Hasselblad has not announced product available or prices for the CFVII 50c back as a standalone purchase at present. However, I suspect that the 907x body is likely about a $700 discounted price additional to the what the back would cost, so somewhere around $6000 for the back alone seems like a good guess for what the back alone would have as MSRP.

Discussion:
Hasselblad's square format film as in the A12 backs have a 1:1 proportion and produce 56x56mm negatives. There are no sensors of that size available in volume production from anywhere at this point in time and, if there were, they would be ferociously expensive. That would make a digital back with that size sensor in it HUGELY expensive—I'm not even going to try to imagine the price...! Maybe it will happen some day, but I would not hold my breath while waiting. :D

Hasselblad H-system digital backs have 53x40 mm sensor format, where 645 film cameras have a 56x43mm format (on average). Calling that 645 film as "full-frame" means that the H system cameras have a 1.06x crop factor, a little less than 10% format reduction—close enough for most purposes. That's about the largest sensor in volume production today and is the primary driver for the cost of an H system digital back. The H6D-100c Digital Back as a standalone sale currently prices out to $26,500 at B&H Photo. That's a little rich for my bank account...!

Hasselblad X-system cameras and the CFV 50c back (both I and II) have a 44x33mm sensor. This size sensor has been recently popularized in both the Hasselblad X system and Fuji GFX system cameras and is receiving the benefit of large volume production price reduction. If you wish to shoot square proportion format on this sensor with the Hasselblad V system body, the resulting sensor is 33x33mm @ 39 Mpixel capture. Compared to an A12 film back, this nets a format reduction (or crop factor) of 1.7x.

What does this mean with respect to field of view and depth of field? Well, I'll use my kit as example: I have 50, 80, 120, and 150 mm Hasselblad V-system lenses. Fitting the 500CM with the CFVII 50c back, the equivalent focal lengths of these lenses changes to 84, 135, 203, and 253 mm—effectively, I just drop down one focal length in my lens kit to achieve the same thing I had on the A12 film back. The 1.7x crop factor nets approximately a 1 stop increase of DoF across the board, so I just open up one stop with each of the lenses to achieve the same DoF (to the limits of the specific lenses' aperture range, of course).

To achieve the FoV of the 50mm lens on an A12 film back would require a 30mm lens on the CFVII 50c back @ 1:1 proportion and this focal length is available in the X system lens line. So I can effectively replicate my V system film camera set by buying a 907x standard camera, using the CFVII 50c back on my 500 series body with my existing lenses, and using an XCD 30mm lens on the 907x body, and I'll have an additional, longer telephoto to work with.

(In my actual kit, I included the XCD 21mm lens since when I want wider than 80mm in V system, I generally prefer the SuperWide: the 21mm lens on 33x33mm format nets the same FoV as the SuperWide on an A12 back.)

I went for the 907x Special Edition kit (ordered a day or so after it was announced last year) based on these calculations; I paid a little more for the camera on the basis of it being a special run, but that doesn't bother me. Using the digital back with my 500CM bodies works out to be exactly what I had calculated above, and I'm delighted to have my 500CMs back in operation with a fully digital capture workflow now. :D

Digital "FF" isn't really "defined" at all, and neither is "APS-C", and they're not based upon format proportions. The use of FF when referring to sensor format is a conventional reference to cameras that have a sensor size equal to a 35mm film camera, like a Nikon F or Leica M. The use of APS-C when referring to sensor size is a somewhat looser reference to Advanced Photo System's "C" framing spec, and is used to refer to both 1.5x and 1.6x crop digital sensor cameras.

Now, that said, it is true the 35mm full-frame format has H to V proportions 3:2. 6x4.5cm medium format film cameras (typically referred to as 645) have format proportions 4:3. A standard Hasselblad A12 back produces negatives that are 56x56mm in size, proportions 1:1. The Hasselblad H system cameras can be considered to have a full-frame relationship to the 645 film format (per discussion above) with minimal field of view loss, but there are no sensors available today to achieve that FF equivalence with respect to the V system film back format.

A 3:2 format equivalence with the current CFVII 50c back implies a crop to 44x29 mm on the sensor, with a diagonal ~53mm. Compared to the convention of a FF digital camera format, this represents a format that's about 23% larger, with a 0.8x "crop" factor. In other words, a 50mm lens on a FF camera provides the field of view of a 41mm lens on the Hasselblad 907x/CFVII 50c back.

G

Last edited:

VBlad

I remember the first commercial use Kodak digital camera was priced at $20K if my memory serves right. Its' resolution was about 1MB. So I cross my fingers that I will see a 6x6 format digital back with accepting price in my life (I will be at 60 in three years).

My "full frame" digital back for my V system used to be A12/A16/A24+Nikon LS9000. I can go back to the same setting (minus A24) while waiting:)

Last edited:

Godfrey

I remember the first commercial use Kodak digital camera was priced at $20K if my memory serves right. Its' resolution was about 1MB. So I cross my fingers that I will see a 6x6 format digital back with accepting price in my life (I will be at 60 in three years).

My "full frame" digital back for my V system used to be A12/A16/A24+Nikon LS9000. I can go back to the same setting (minus A24) while waiting:)
I can (and do) the same, in addition to obtaining digital image capture with the CFVII 50c, although my current scanning solution is to use the 907x fitted with a lens adapter and the Leitz Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 macro lens as the capture instrument. The resulting 39 Mpixel file has enough quality to satisfy my aesthetic and practical needs, and nets the original qualities of the Hasselblad lenses imaged onto film as they were originally intended. The 16-bit raw files from the CFVII 50c provide even better tonal range and adjustment capabilities than my old Nikon Super Coolscan 9000ED, although not quite as much pixel resolution.

I doubt I'll see a 56x56mm sensor in a digital V system back at under $10,000 standalone price anytime soon. Maybe within my lifetime if such a niche product becomes popular enough ... I'm 66 next week, and I suspect I need it to happen within about 20 years. Could happen....! :D Of course, the question of whether I'm still in the market for a high end digital camera like that at that time is a bigger question mark! LOL!

G