The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Thank you Victor for the very kind compliment, most appreciated.

Both the Sigma and Sony 135mm AF lenses are superb on the Sony FF cameras from WO :thumbs:

As we both like our 35mm Sigma F1.2 alot despite their weight...I should just mention it (That's if you haven't spotted it already) over on SAR...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/now-thats-cool-sigma-also-patented-a-new-50mm-f-1-2-fe-lens-design/

When eventually it's released (as I expect it will be)...It might well be just the 50mm that you are looking for, that's if the Voigtlander 50mm APO F2 doesn't work out for you.

Cheers Barry

vjbelle

Barry...... I'm actually torn between the Sigma 135 and the Sony. The Sigma, from MTF charts at LR, seems to have slightly more evenness from center to edge but the Sony has higher center resolving power. I need this lens for landscapes so even sharpness from center to edge is important to me.

The 35mm 1.2 does add a fair amount of weight but it sure is a marvelous lens. There is no doubt that I will at least purchase the Voigtlander 50mm 2.0 when it is released. If it matches the 65mm then it will be a keeper.

Cheers......

Victor

Barry Haines

Barry...... I'm actually torn between the Sigma 135 and the Sony. The Sigma, from MTF charts at LR, seems to have slightly more evenness from center to edge but the Sony has higher center resolving power. I need this lens for landscapes so even sharpness from center to edge is important to me.

The 35mm 1.2 does add a fair amount of weight but it sure is a marvelous lens. There is no doubt that I will at least purchase the Voigtlander 50mm 2.0 when it is released. If it matches the 65mm then it will be a keeper.

Cheers......

Victor
Hi Victor, likewise I was also torn between the pair of them...decisions, decisions.

Lensrentals SONY MTF https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/04/just-mtf-charts-sony-fe-mount-prime-lenses/
Lensrentals SIGMA MTF https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...art-mtf-charts-and-a-look-behind-the-curtain/

Clicking back and forth between the MTF image links below helps you see the differences clearer across the frame.

Sony https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2019/03/135mm-f1.8-GM_MTF_Average-1.png
Sigma https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2017/04/135mm-f1.8-DG-HSM-Art_MTF_Average.png

I think Roger (LR) had the Sony just in-front in terms of sharpness at center and in the far corners at F1.8...Although lens copy variance can take it's toll upon these results.
MTF's are only looking at resolution and not taking into account the rendering of a lens, so I looked at a lot of image samples as well and thought that the Sigma 135mm ART had a slightly nicer OoF rendering than the Sony (Creamier boke is my personal preference)...typically https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1588217/6#14795819

Truth be told you can't really go wrong with either of those two lenses!

I know Bart gets to use his 135mm Sigma Art on both his GFX50R and A7RII which is a clear plus point for him...I think he opted with the Canon mount if I remember correctly with an adapter back then, as the Sony mount wasn't available at the time - in fact I don't think the GM 135mm was even released when he went with the Sigma.

The Sigma lens has a largish image circle that covers all or almost all of the larger Fuji sensor...Whereas the Sony GM 135mm is only ever going to work on a Sony camera!

My reasoning was made easier for me once I decided I was sticking (for now at least) with making myself a dedicated lens kit for a FF Sony camera only...I followed with great interest the Fred Miranda thread https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1588217/0 which helped me finally decide.
My only complaint with the Sony GM 135mm is the flare (shooting into the sun / point light source) ....which is shown here on Jannik's review over on Phillip Reeve https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-sony-fe-135mm-f1-8-gm/
Having a aperture ring and a fair bit of size and weight saving with a slightly sharper lens made me pony up the extra for the Sony...Sony's faster AF was also a consideration...Your criteria/YMMV from mine though.

I wish you good luck deciding...It's a tough choice :)

Cheers Barry

vjbelle

Bart.... really appreciate your taking the time to comment on both the Sigma and Sony 135mm lenses. There is a major cost difference but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I hadn't looked close enough to see that the Sigma doesn't have an aperture ring - for me a major drawback. The 85mm Sigma 1.4 also does not have an aperture ring. I returned my copy for a very slight symmetry issue ( I was being very picky ) and hope I don't regret returning it. It fills a gap between 65mm and 100mm +-. I also returned my copy of the Voigtlander 110mm but do want to try another copy. For now I'm using my Zeiss 100mm Planar f2 - Nikon mount ( pre Milvus ) which I've owned for numerous years. It just snaps together at f5.6 which is my go to aperture for the Sony so I'm happy with it for now.

The fact that the Sigma has a larger image circle isn't a plus for me and it's weight is another minus along with no aperture ring. Symmetry is my major concern....

Looks to me like the Sony gets the nod.....

Thanks much.....

Cheers......

Victor

pegelli

Last friday I went with our son to London and we had tickets for two afternoon tennis matches at the O2 arena. First was the doubles match of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah against Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies. They both needed a win to get through to the semi finals so it was a good and intense game.

Since I didn't know how far we would be from the field and players I took my A6000 and FE70-300G to have enough reach. In hindsight the A7ii would have been OK too but that will be for the next time :D

Here's some shots of this match, it's the first time I tried to shoot tennis so there's still a steep learning curve to climb, but I don't think I'll have many of these opportunities. They were also all shot from the same place in the stands, moving around to get different viewpoints is "not done" during tennis matches, everything to avoid distraction for the players.

1: The teams:

2: Andreas Mies serving

3: Juan Sebastian Cabal returning

4: Mies telling Krawietz the tactic for his next serve

5: Resting inbetween the games

6: A big step for Farah's return stroke

7: Krawietz returning while Mies looks how he's doing

8: Interview with the winners (Cabal/Farah)

(they were knocked out the next day in the semi-finals)

The next match we saw was the singles match between Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas. But I'm still working on those shots so that will be for later.

Barry Haines

Bart.... really appreciate your taking the time to comment on both the Sigma and Sony 135mm lenses. There is a major cost difference but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I hadn't looked close enough to see that the Sigma doesn't have an aperture ring - for me a major drawback. The 85mm Sigma 1.4 also does not have an aperture ring. I returned my copy for a very slight symmetry issue ( I was being very picky ) and hope I don't regret returning it. It fills a gap between 65mm and 100mm +-. I also returned my copy of the Voigtlander 110mm but do want to try another copy. For now I'm using my Zeiss 100mm Planar f2 - Nikon mount ( pre Milvus ) which I've owned for numerous years. It just snaps together at f5.6 which is my go to aperture for the Sony so I'm happy with it for now.

The fact that the Sigma has a larger image circle isn't a plus for me and it's weight is another minus along with no aperture ring. Symmetry is my major concern....

Looks to me like the Sony gets the nod.....

Thanks much.....

Cheers......

Victor
Hi Victor, that's unfortunate about the CV110 and ART 85mm :(

Re: Zeiss 100mm f2 ZF.2 mount - I am familiar with that lens...Ron Pfister (a member here) very kindly loaned me his copy to try out about 5 years ago!
If I remember correctly it suffered a little bit from CA WO (That went away quickly by F2.8), other than that it was a cracking lens which I very much liked.
I have these images buried somewhere deep within this thread of the St Ives Tate Gallery when I visited with Ron.
I used it wide open at F2 on his Sony A72...Platinum Toned.

pegelli

I spent most time this evening watching Stefano Tsitsipas beat Dominic Thiem is a very tight match at the final match of the ATP open. Fortunately BBC2 was giving it live coverage.
So only two photo's from the Nadal - Tsitsipas match for today, obviously of the Greek who at 21 years of age is the youngest winner of the ATP finals since it moved to London.

9: Ready to receive

10: In ballet style back to sender

Looking at all the official photographers in the background I think I had a better shot this time :)

More to come tomorrow!

vjbelle

Hi Victor, that's unfortunate about the CV110 and ART 85mm :(

Re: Zeiss 100mm f2 ZF.2 mount - I am familiar with that lens...Ron Pfister (a member here) very kindly loaned me his copy to try out about 5 years ago!
If I remember correctly it suffered a little bit from CA WO (That went away quickly by F2.8), other than that it was a cracking lens which I very much liked.
I have these images buried somewhere deep within this thread of the St Ives Tate Gallery when I visited with Ron.
I used it wide open at F2 on his Sony A72...Platinum Toned.

Barry..... The images are just lovely!!

Yes.... the Zeiss 100mm is known for CA wide open but never bothered me as it's easily fixed. I can shoot this lens wide open and it's sharp edge to edge. Really an amazing lens. For landscape shooting I usually shoot at f5.6 which gives me just enough dof while remaining tack sharp with lots of micro contrast. So, maybe I have that focal length area covered.

The 85mm is another story as that is a really nice focal length for landscape shooting as well as cityscapes. However it along with the 35mm 1.2 starts to make my bag fairly heavy. I really want to keep under 15 lbs minus tripod which I always hand carry. The Sigma 85mm weighs 1130 grams and my Zeiss 100mm along with a Novoflex adapter weighs 820 Grams..... a big difference.

It seems as though I'm destined, for now, for 35mm, 65mm, 100mm, 135mm which keeps me at my weight limits. This still leaves the wide end (wider than 35mm) unfilled. I have yet to really like any wide lens I've used and it's rare for me to shoot at those focal lengths. I could easily just rent something as Lens Rentals is located in Memphis and I'm just outside of Memphis.

Thanks again for all of your input......

You've got a great photographic touch:thumbup:

Cheers....

Victor

Barry Haines

Barry..... The images are just lovely!!

Yes.... the Zeiss 100mm is known for CA wide open but never bothered me as it's easily fixed. I can shoot this lens wide open and it's sharp edge to edge. Really an amazing lens. For landscape shooting I usually shoot at f5.6 which gives me just enough dof while remaining tack sharp with lots of micro contrast. So, maybe I have that focal length area covered.

The 85mm is another story as that is a really nice focal length for landscape shooting as well as cityscapes. However it along with the 35mm 1.2 starts to make my bag fairly heavy. I really want to keep under 15 lbs minus tripod which I always hand carry. The Sigma 85mm weighs 1130 grams and my Zeiss 100mm along with a Novoflex adapter weighs 820 Grams..... a big difference.

It seems as though I'm destined, for now, for 35mm, 65mm, 100mm, 135mm which keeps me at my weight limits. This still leaves the wide end (wider than 35mm) unfilled. I have yet to really like any wide lens I've used and it's rare for me to shoot at those focal lengths. I could easily just rent something as Lens Rentals is located in Memphis and I'm just outside of Memphis.

Thanks again for all of your input......

You've got a great photographic touch:thumbup:

Cheers....

Victor
Thanks again Victor :)

Trying to make up a lens kit up out of some of these FF lenses, it's surprising just how quickly it can all start to add up in terms of weight.

That's an excellent set of lenses...I am not a big fan of zooms but a great addition that would fit in well with your outfit is the 14-24mm Sigma Art DN DG :thumbup: I know I said it before and I keep plugging that lens...
but I think you would be pleasantly surprised (Lens Rentals perhaps if the desire to try something wider)... FM thread 14-24mm Sigma Art DN DG https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1609212

Samuli Vahonen..."AOV & FOV visualizator" is an excellent tool for helping you choose lens focal lengths in terms of lens gapping primes and zooms etc... https://vahonen.info/fov/

A tiny little speck of a fishing boat heading back to Newquay harbour with it's catch from this evening.
A7R4 - GM 100-400mm (Handheld 1/80th)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.