The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Note: The OLD B& forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

kdphotography

Re: Note: This forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

Well I will speak up here and explain a few things...
Uh, hello. The absolute expert in Buy & Sell & Buy speaks. That's the final word from Dante's disciple as far as I'm concerned.

:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Note: This forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

Thanks for your kind words . My wife is doing well, her breast and lung cancer are in remission and her latest brain cancer is in process but doing well to get it under control and where almost at the end of this. Hopefully

Guy Mancuso

Uh, hello. The absolute expert in Buy & Sell & Buy speaks. That's the final word from Dante's disciple as far as I'm concerned.

:ROTFL:
I sort of developed this reputation , yea I'm a gear slut whore.

Morituri

After more thinking, I think it is not a good idea to have the new classifieds layout as it is, since it gives very poor visibility for items, and by default the classified page only shows 10 ads per page.

I think whoever is in charge should strongly consider to keep using the normal getDPI buy/sell forum section page/layout as it is, but simply make a payment section which people need to go through before they can put up ads.

The buy/sell forum is well known as it is right now, changing it, and for me personally it looks for the worse (layout wise) is not a good idea.

patashnik

I like this move. Visibility shouldn't really be a problem once the endless bumping stops.

Albino_BlacMan

Limit is 5000 characters and 6 images.
-bob
Just tried posting and the limit is definitely 750 characters.... So I can't get a full description of my item in if I want to include my references and stuff...

Also, why is there a different password associated with every ad (i.e. if I place 3 ads I need to keep track of 3 passwords plus the one for my getdpi account).

Wouldn't it be easier if everyone could edit their ad based on their own pre-existing password? I lost the password to my last ad and it didn't work when I tried to get it sent to myself (probably just because I have 4 emails all being forwarded to one place so it could have been lost in a spam filter somewhere) but now I have no way to edit that ad...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Just tried posting and the limit is definitely 750 characters.... So I can't get a full description of my item in if I want to include my references and stuff...

Also, why is there a different password associated with every ad (i.e. if I place 3 ads I need to keep track of 3 passwords plus the one for my getdpi account).

Wouldn't it be easier if everyone could edit their ad based on their own pre-existing password? I lost the password to my last ad and it didn't work when I tried to get it sent to myself (probably just because I have 4 emails all being forwarded to one place so it could have been lost in a spam filter somewhere) but now I have no way to edit that ad...
It turns out that the character limit needed to be changes in more than one place.
They now show as 5000 characters.
As for the security key on each ad, that is there it establish you as the actual owner of that specific ad.
-bob

stephengilbert

The endless bumping comment is a good one. One of the failings of the old B/S was that you'd post an ad and it would often disappear (from the front page) in a matter of hours as people posted questions or comments to older ads, or just reported that items had been sold.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Note: The OLD B& forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new

Okay, the old B&S is shut down, and the new one is up and running. Note that you may need to log off the main forum and then back in before the new B&S recognizes you as authorized to post.

V

Vivek

Re: Note: The OLD B& forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new

Jack, Take a look at the camera gear for sale (new). Every advert ends with a bit of Guy's laptop sale advert!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Jack, Take a look at the camera gear for sale (new). Every advert ends with a bit of Guy's laptop sale advert!
Yes, I saw that.
It may have been a result of increasing the ad character limit.
working on it...
-bob

Guy Mancuso

I screwed up I edited the template since I have access by accident. Bob will fix.

I'm not familiar yet with it and what I see is different than a non moderator sees. So sorry that was my bad.

I also fixed my ad correctly now.

Guy Mancuso

You know that's not a bad trick. I can put my ad on everyone else's. Talk about coverage.ROTFLMAO

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Note that the old B&S, Gallery and Commercial sections have been disabled since all of these can be posted directly in the new B&S. The old forums are still there in case anything needs to be retrieved, just turned off and not visible by the public.

Also note that we created a B&S feedback section and moved the historic feedback threads there so they remain active, accessible and searchable.

Ron (Netherlands)

Good thing for buyers - I think they will look less at the new B&S (like others said, it is looking less attractive) and therefore have less GAS. However this means a bad thing for sellers: less buyers, more costs.
Since I sold only once or twice and bought many, I have no problems with that :)

Amin

I think the new B&S looks good. Just visibility is down, for better or worse, because the listings aren't shown in the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" views.

Guy Mancuso

Yea that's what I would like to see as well.

stephengilbert

I think people may get used to the new B/S. I find it better than I thought at first, in part because of the improvements.

One thing that is missing, though, is that the most recently listed item doesn't appear on the main page as it used to. Sometimes I'd click on the buy and sell section based on a new item listing reminding me that there are thinsg I haven't seen yet. Now there's just a blank spot.

Guy Mancuso

That's my thing as well. Be nice to see the last post made. It tells me if something is there I did not see yet. Couple tweaks and it will be great. Hope Bob and Jack figure out that stuff. I know there working on things.